Six Simple Must-know Keystrokes for Safari Users

Jan 18, 2007 - 13 Comments

Safari is my browser of choice in Mac OS X, I like FireFox a lot but it doesn’t have the same Apple polish to it, and page rendering seems speedier in Safari (my opinion, no intention on sparking a browser war here). If you’re a Safari user, here are some key strokes that you should know about that will make web browsing a speedier and more pleasant experience. These keyboard shortcuts are particularly useful for laptop users since the hands tend to be situated on the keyboard more often.

Action / Explanation Keystroke
Navigate to left tab Shift + Command + Left Arrow
Navigate to right tab Shift + Command + Right Arrow
Select Google search box Command + Option + F
Scroll down a screens length Command + Down Arrow
Scroll up a screens length Command + Up Arrow
Close all tabs except specified one Option + click the close button on the tab you want to maintain open

Posted by: OSXDaily in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Lyle says:

I knew about all but two of these, but those two (selecting the Google search box, and closing all but one tab) are real gems that I will use every dang day.

Thanks a million!!

2. John says:

Space bar scrolls down one screen length and shift space bar scrolls up one screen length. Seems easier than using command and arrow keys.

3. LJ Gould says:

Dont forget cmd+i –> mail webpage inline.

4. JamesCalvin says:

Great key strokes. But is there a key stroke to change pages?

5. Ron Evry says:

Don’t forget “cmd-[" and "cmd-]” which move you back and forward through pages you’ve been to. Of course, that also works in open finder windows and a bunch of other things :)

6. gazza says:

Yeah, didn’t know about Cmd-Opt-f and Cmd-i which are nice additions.

To change pages, use Cmd-Shft-Left or Right Arrows. But be aware that if your cursor is in any of the boxes (url, google or a field on the page) this doesn’t work. You have to mouse click on the page. Anybody know a key command that escapes the boxes..? :)

7. Jack says:

“Great key strokes. But is there a key stroke to change pages?”

This is not Safari specific, but CMD~ lets you toggle through open windows in an application. Works great in any program where you have lots of hidden windows open.

8. hadley stern says:

Awesome post! I didn’t know about the navigating between tabs bit, brilliant. I also use Function up, and Function down to scroll through pages page at a time (if that makes sense)

9. sam says:

cmd+{ for tab left and cmd+} for tab right is better. The other schortcut gets caught up if you have your cursor in a text box.

those are cmd+shift+[ (or) ]

10. Perry says:

The CMD+arrow shortcuts are wrong above: CMD+down scrolls to the bottom of the page; CMD+up scrolls to top. OPT+down & OPT+up travel by one page length (but Space & SHIFT+space are easier).

A couple more:

* The slash key (“/”), when cursor’s not in a text box, invokes Find.
    * J and K scroll down & up, respectively.

11. Danny says:

my mouse cursor seems to be inactive in one of my safari windows… I can only move around via keystrokes, and can’t click on things in the page…

Can you help me get my click back?

12. dispersalloy says:

great little tip about safari

13. [...] Six simple must-know keystrokes for Safari users [...]