Control Leopard’s Stack style (Fan/Grid)

Oct 31, 2007 - 9 Comments

Stacks is an innovative addition to Apple’s recently released OS X 10.5 (Leopard). It’s default behavior can be confusing, as it seems some “Stacks” will display in a grid fashion and some will appear in the fan style. After poking around for a bit on various forums (macosxhints.com), I had zero luck in finding away to control the Stack style. Then I stumbled upon a file called “About Stacks.pdf” in my documents folder. The contents are self explanatory and it turns out the solution is simple:

Step 1 : Hold your mouse over a stack and click on it until a menu appears.
Step 2 : Once that menu appears select “View As” and choose either Fan or Grid.

That’s it, from now on the stack will open with your preferred style.

Posted by: David Mendez in 10.5, Customize, Leopard, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. […] YouTube Control Leopard’s Stack style (Fan/Grid) » This Summary is from an article posted at OS X Daily on Thursday, November 01, 2007 Stacks is an innovative addition to Apple’s recently released OS X 10.5 (Leopard) … with your preferred style. Ads by Yahoo! Summary Provided by Technorati.comView Original Article at OS X Daily » 10 Most Recent News Articles About Yahoo […]

2. Chris R says:

Of course, if you put your dock anywhere but at the bottom then it will display in grid style with no option to change this. It’s interesting that Apple have made the dock behave so differently depending on where you put it.

3. Munin says:

And here I thought this site was going to die.

I’m so happy you’re back! Sneaky you, waiting for Leopard to update!

4. Merlin says:

Thanks for this one.

5. Donut says:

the first thing i found, was right clicking the Downloads folder and seeing those options. i kept switching back and forth between the two, to see which one i preferred over the other.

i suppose my biggest gripe about Leopard is the dock and menu bar changes.

6. Henry says:

Most of the big changes (I suppose the ones you don’t like) revert, don’t they?

7. IMHO Girl says:

thank you thank you thank you. i haven’t been impressed with leopard and all of the super hyped features but This was by far my worst pet peeves since upgrading to leopard a couple of weeks ago — i couldn’t get my stacks to fan open like all of the demos i’d been watching and wasn’t getting very much help in my google searches – until this one. thanks again.

8. We kept switching back and forth between the two, to see which one i preferred over the other.

9. […] Control Leopard’s Stack style (Fan/Grid) […]