Convert PNG to JPG or Convert JPG to PNG

Jan 12, 2010 - 10 Comments

convert png to jpg

Converting a PNG file to JPG is really easy in Mac OS X, here are the steps:

* Launch the origin PNG file within Preview
* Navigate to the File menu and down to ‘Save As’
* Select “JPG” under the ‘Format’ drop down list
* Click “OK”

Your PNG file now has been converted and saved as a JPG file to the location you specified! If you want you can go back and delete the origin PNG file. Naturally you could reverse the process and save a JPG file as a PNG file to do the opposite conversion.

Posted by: Manish Patel in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Garth Wunsch says:

Doesn’t work. No jpeg option presented in save as menu
    using version 10.5.8

• Andrew H says:

Works fine for me under 10.5.8, with Preview version 4.2. JPEG is the second file format option down after GIF.

2. Smail says:

What about Windows7 ? how can change JPG to PNG ??

3. Ken says:

Anyone have a clue how to “batch convert” .PNG to .JPG in Photoshop CS5 on a Mac Pro Dual? I have over 500 grabs (PNGs) for a project I must do that are taking up a ton of space and I can’t work with them as PNGs. JPEGs will be fine for my purposes. I know how to do batch conversions, do it all the time, but nothing’s happening when I try it with the PNGs. They just won’t convert in batch.

Do I have to do them one by one? You gotta be kidding me. Can’t find any help, forums or tutorials online. I can’t be the only one facing this challenge.

Please feel free to write me directly if anyone can help — TADesigns@aol.com

Ken

4. Kelly says:

Thank you!! Worked awesome on my Mac with the instructions. I had tried searching the instructions on my computer before coming here.

5. Gari says:

Re: OS X Lion – use ‘export’ instead of ‘Save As’

6. Jack says:

I have “upgraded” to lion and have received some png attachments in an e-mail. My wife can read them with her iPad, but all the iMac can see is an icon. I have gone through the steps using “export” and it “does its thing” and appears to be converting it to a jpg, but the result is still the same icon, not a readable document.

7. captain Adrian says: