Convert PNG to JPG or Convert JPG to PNG
Converting a PNG file to JPG, or converting JPEG to PNG, is really easy in Mac OS X. You can use the built-in Preview utility to perform the file format change, and Preview is a great choice since it’s bundled with all versions of OS X, meaning it does not matter what version of software you have installed on the Mac. No additional downloads are necessary, Preview is built right in.
Here are the necessary steps to convert the PNG / JPG as desired with Preview:
- Launch the origin PNG or JPG file within Preview app of OS X, do this by double-clicking or dragging it into the preview icon
- Navigate to the File menu and choose “Duplicate” (in modern versions of OS X) – this step is not necessary in older versions of Preview app so if the Mac is really old you won’t see the Duplicate option, you can therefore skip this and go directly to Export or Save As
- With the newly duplicate file open in Preview, pull down the File menu again and go down to ‘Export’ (or choose “Save As”)
- Select “JPG” or “PNG” under the ‘Format’ drop down list
- Click “Save” to export the file converted to the new image format
Your PNG file now has been converted and saved as a JPG file to the location you specified in Finder! If you want you can go back and delete the origin file, that is up to you.
Naturally you could modify the process and save any opened image file to a new image file format to do a similar conversion to other supported file types, many image formats are supported by Preview this way.