Convert PNG to JPG or Convert JPG to PNG

Jan 12, 2010 - 15 Comments

Preview in Mac Converting a PNG file to JPG, or converting JPEG to PNG, is really easy in Mac OS X. You can use the built-in Preview utility to perform the file format change, and Preview is a great choice since it’s bundled with all versions of OS X, meaning it does not matter what version of software you have installed on the Mac. No additional downloads are necessary, Preview is built right in.

Here are the necessary steps to convert the PNG / JPG as desired with Preview:

1. Launch the origin PNG or JPG file within Preview app of OS X, do this by double-clicking or dragging it into the preview icon
  2. Navigate to the File menu and choose “Duplicate” (in modern versions of OS X) – this step is not necessary in older versions of Preview app so if the Mac is really old you won’t see the Duplicate option, you can therefore skip this and go directly to Export or Save As
  3. With the newly duplicate file open in Preview, pull down the File menu again and go down to ‘Export’ (or choose “Save As”)
  4. Select “JPG” or “PNG” under the ‘Format’ drop down list
  5. convert png to jpg

6. Click “Save” to export the file converted to the new image format

Your PNG file now has been converted and saved as a JPG file to the location you specified in Finder! If you want you can go back and delete the origin file, that is up to you.

Naturally you could modify the process and save any opened image file to a new image file format to do a similar conversion to other supported file types, many image formats are supported by Preview this way.

Posted by: Manish Patel in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Garth Wunsch says:

Doesn’t work. No jpeg option presented in save as menu
    using version 10.5.8

2. Smail says:

What about Windows7 ? how can change JPG to PNG ??

3. Ken says:

Anyone have a clue how to “batch convert” .PNG to .JPG in Photoshop CS5 on a Mac Pro Dual? I have over 500 grabs (PNGs) for a project I must do that are taking up a ton of space and I can’t work with them as PNGs. JPEGs will be fine for my purposes. I know how to do batch conversions, do it all the time, but nothing’s happening when I try it with the PNGs. They just won’t convert in batch.

Do I have to do them one by one? You gotta be kidding me. Can’t find any help, forums or tutorials online. I can’t be the only one facing this challenge.

Please feel free to write me directly if anyone can help — TADesigns@aol.com

Ken

4. Kelly says:

Thank you!! Worked awesome on my Mac with the instructions. I had tried searching the instructions on my computer before coming here.

5. Gari says:

Re: OS X Lion – use ‘export’ instead of ‘Save As’

6. Jack says:

I have “upgraded” to lion and have received some png attachments in an e-mail. My wife can read them with her iPad, but all the iMac can see is an icon. I have gone through the steps using “export” and it “does its thing” and appears to be converting it to a jpg, but the result is still the same icon, not a readable document.

7. captain Adrian says:

i use colorsync utility

8. Macgeneral says:

Re: Converting a JPEG to a PNG …

“Save For Web & Devices”, NOT “Save As”, in PS CS5 will provide the option(s) for saving as a PNG-8 or a PNG-24.

9. paocer says:

Re: Converting a png to a jpeg …

Duplicate….save as jpeg