Lock your Mac Desktop with the Locker Widget

Jan 19, 2010 - 12 Comments

lock mac screen Locker is a very simple Dashboard widget that does something Mac OS X should have included by default, it instantly locks your Mac desktop. All you have to do is open your Dashboard and double click the Locker icon and you’ll end up at a login window where you need to enter a login and password to regain desktop access. The uses for this are many, but I am still surprised Apple does not provide a simple way to lock your Mac outside of either a screensaver or fast user logout with Shift-Command-Option-Q. Anyway, check out Locker, it’s no frills and gets the job done.

Developer home
Download now

Posted by: David Mendez in Mac OS X, Security, Widget

1. Ryan says:

I use MacLoc which works perfectly and has a dashboard app or or menu bar option. But if you want it in the dashboard Locker looks good.

2. neo says:

I simply set the hot spot lower corner to go to screensaver and I have it set to require login. It is simple and highly effective.

I simply move the mouse to the corner and done.
    Also…. after a designated time… it locks.. done.

Enough said.

3. Utilities -> Keychain Access -> Preferences -> Show Status in Menu Bar

Then just click on the lock icon in your menu bar and choose ‘Lock Screen’. Fewer clicks than the tip above once enabled and it’s built in to OS X.

4. Chris Wanja says:

@vincent – I liked your method a lot better than the posted and as well as my own I had previously been using. I made an Automator action that ran a script to send the computer to the login screen.

5. yene says:

or you can put this command where you want:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend

6. maigrait says:

Actually if you do what vincent said above, you can do it even faster than clicking the lock icon. Do CTRL+Shift+Eject. Bosh your screen is locked. Far superior…

7. rob wilke says:

yeah, or you could download this automator action

then invoke with quicksilver with your hotkey then start to type “Lock…”

8. Nago says:

For those of you who use Quicksilver,
    enable the Extra Scripts plug-in.

It includes Lock Screen, Shutdown, logout, get Ip…and many many more.

Check the whole list at http://docs.blacktree.com/quicksilver/plug-ins/extra_scripts

9. Kris says:

I just use a service available to all applications that runs

do shell script “‘/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession’ -suspend”

and set to a keyboard shortcut.

10. Salvador says:

excellent thank you everyone i can now lock my mac

11. Matt says:

+1 for Vincents approach

I used MacLoc in the past however it is a bit buggy – I found out about the keychain capabilties from this article a few weeks ago and much prefer this approach: http://bit.ly/ce0C5v

I like maigrait’s suggestion of using Ctrl + Shift + Eject however it does not lock my macbook pro – but rather just blackens the screen … any idea why this is?