iPad 2 to have 1.2GHz Dual Core CPU, Dual Core GPU, Faster RAM, Anti-Glare Screen?
The latest batch of iPad 2 rumors claim that the device will have the following hardware specs:
- 1.2 GHz dual core Cortex A9 CPU
- Imagination Technologies SGX 543 dual core GPU, that is reportedly up to 300% more powerful than iPhone 4 GPU
- 512MB RAM running at 1066 Mhz
- Thinner and lighter anti-glare screen for improved readability in sunlight
- Same 1024×768 resolution as existing iPad model
- Dual lower resolution cameras borrowed from iPod touch
- Possibility of included NFC chip, which would turn iPad 2 and iPhone 5 into a digital wallet
Other than the dual core GPU, there’s not much new here. Most of these specs are in line with the past iPad 2 rumor roundup, although a 1.2GHz CPU is slightly faster than the 1GHz dual core chip that was previously speculated. The other things to notice are the improved RAM speed and the dual core GPU, both of which provide significant performance gains to app and graphics performance (maybe even providing for 1080p output?).
Much of the speculation about the next gen iPad derives from the leaked cases that show obvious FaceTime camera openings, various port differences, and a slimmer body. Beyond this and some digging around in various iOS 4.3 beta releases, there isn’t much known about the future iPad.
This new report of dual core chips comes from AppleInsider, who also speculate on a late Q1 2011 or early Q2 2011 ship date for the iPad 2, based on data obtained from supply chain managers.
(Above picture is an iPad 2 mockup)