Jailbreak iPad iOS 4.2.1 with GreenPois0n RC5
GreenPois0n RC5 allows you to easily jailbreak an iPad running iOS 4.2.1, the main advantage to GreenPois0n is that it provides a completely untethered jailbreak solution that can be initiated from both Mac OS X and Windows.
This guide will walk you through the process of jailbreaking an iPad with iOS 4.2.1 software.
How to Jailbreak iPad iOS 4.2.1 Untethered with GreenPois0n RC5
Before you start, make sure you have backed up your iPad. Remember, the “Sleep” button is the button on top of your iPad, and “Home” is the button on the lower part of the screen.
- Download GreenPois0n RC5: (Mac version) (Windows version)
- Connect your iPad to your computer and launch the GreenPois0n app
- When ready click on “Jailbreak”
- Following the onscreen instructions you will put your iPad into DFU mode
- Press and hold the sleep button for 3 seconds
- Continue holding sleep, and then press and hold the home button for 10 seconds
- Release the sleep button, but continue to hold the home button for another 15 seconds
- When that sequence is done your iPad will reboot into DFU mode and the jailbreak begins, you will see some text flash on the screen before rebooting again, and once the jailbreak is done, click on “Complete!”
- Now on your iPad, look for the green “Loader” icon on the homescreen, tap on Loader and then tap onto “Cydia” and “Install Cydia”
- You will get a notification asking if you want to remove Loader from your device, tap on “Remove” and Loader will be deleted after Cydia is installed
- Reboot your iPad again if it doesn’t already
That’s it! Your iPad is now jailbroken and untethered! You can read this to understand the difference between a tethered and untethered jailbreak, but in short an untethered jailbreak is what you want out of convenience.
Troubleshooting the Jailbreak
Loader app fails to load Cydia – this often means the remote servers are overloaded, often simply waiting or trying again resolves the problem. Some people say that rebooting the iPad can help, but I think it’s placebo while the servers have time to recover.
Loader is crashing, Cydia still won’t load – if all else fails, you can actually run Redsn0w 0.9.7b6 on top of your GreenPois0n jailbreak, the key is that you want to select only to “Install Cydia” from redsn0w, and not to go through the jailbreak process again.
Stuck on black screen after jailbreaking – hold down the “Power” and “home” buttons again for about 15 seconds to force reboot the iPad
Remember that this jailbreak is reversible, you can easily unjailbreak the iPad by simply using the “Restore” option from iTunes.
These are iPad specific instructions, but you’ll find that using GreenPois0n with the iPhone and iPod touch running iOS 4.2.1 is very similar.