How to Set Up & Use iMessage on iPhone, iPad, & iPod touch with iOS

Oct 18, 2011 - 171 Comments

iMessage iMessage is the new messaging service that is built directly into iOS from versions 5 onward. It’s great because it allows you to send instant messages, text messages, pictures, video, contacts, and locations, across iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, even without an SMS or 3G plan. Of course the other benefit is that even if you do have an SMS plan, sending iMessages can circumvent the SMS protocol, allowing you to send texts for free to other iPhones.

The only real requirement is that the device is running iOS 5 or later, which you can upgrade / download here if you haven’t yet done so through iTunes or otherwise.

If you haven’t setup iMessage as part of iOS yet, you need to take a few minutes to do so. It’s really easy and well worth it, we’ll walk through the set up:

Setting Up iMessage in iOS

The set up process is quick and essentially the same on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:

• Tap on “Settings” and scroll to and tap on “Messages”
  • Flip the ON/OFF switch next to ‘iMessage’ so that it’s ON

Enable iMessage in iOS 5 on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

iMessage will attempt to automatically pull your phone number or Apple ID (or both for iPhone users).

You can edit these if you wish, or if you’re on an iPad or iPod touch you may need to enter an Apple ID manually. Do so by tapping into the appropriate places, your Apple ID is the same account you use to login to iTunes and the App Store. If you don’t have an Apple ID yet, you can just tap on “Create New Account” to make one.

You can also add additional email addresses for you to be reached at via iMessage, just tap on “Add Another Email…” and add the address manually:

Set up iMessage

You are now free to send iMessages between equipped iOS 5 devices.

How do I use iMessage? Where do I send an iMessage from?

iMessage icon If you just set up iMessage, you’re ready to use it, just tap on the familiar green “Messages” app, yes the same one you use to send SMS and MMS on the iPhone.

Here’s the important thing to remember, iMessage is seamless within the Messages app and works automatically as long as you are messaging another iOS 5 device, there isn’t a separate app or protocol to use, Apple figures it out for you.

Enjoy iMessage, and don’t forget to check out some more iOS 5 tips.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks

1. Ty says:

I couldn’t figure out how to make messages from other iOS 5 users pop up automatically on my iPad. Eventually I hit “Caller ID” and changed the default to my email address rather than my phone number. Now when I receive a text from someone using iOS 5 I get it on my iPhone and iPad.

2. Aaron says:

Turn on/off the SMS feature separately, if all your friends aren’t APple converts yet

• Maurice says:

I can’t figure outwhy I am not ableto see the Imessage ICONS like thesmiley faces and sad faces when I am sending an iMessage with my iPhone 4? I ahve Verizon not AT&T.

3. Tys says:

My girl and I are using it and I think the imessage text come through blue instead of green. Did anybody else make this observation? If that was already mentioned, sorry.

4. Darian says:

What’s this gonna do to batter life? ;)

• Pete says:

If you travel (like overseas) and are connected to wireless, you will not pay for messages. Typically .50 cents a message

5. icebreaker says:

This is completely useless for me, I would like to have AirDrop on every iOS device.

6. Joe Debono says:

Blue means I was sent vis iMessage and. Ost you nothing. Green means a regular SMS and you paid through the nose to your ISP.

7. lydia says:

both my friend and I upgraded to iOS 5. while trying to use the imessage, in the conversation some texts go as imessage and others as SMS even if we both disabled the “send as sms when imessage is unavailable” option! The problem is even when in the text field is written imessage sometimes it’s sent as sms. Any solution? thx

8. [...] that you’ve set up iMessage, if you use multiple iOS devices you’ll want to be sure to sync your conversations across [...]

9. [...] How to Set Up & Use iMessage on iPhone, iPad, & iPod touch with iOS 5 How to Set Up & Use iMessage on iPhone, iPad, & iPod touch with iOS 5… Source: osxdaily.com [...]

10. Debbie says:

A question here, for me to be able to receive messages to both my iPhone and iPad, is this the correct setting?

Set Caller ID as my phone number for iPhone.
    And Caller ID as my email address (Apple ID) for iPad.

Please reply and thanks.

• Paul says:

As stated in the article, set caller ID to your Apple ID on both iPhone and iPad

• Debbie says:

Ok thanks.
        If I would want my friends to receive my iMessages with my phone number being shown on their device rather than my email address, is it I just need to set my Caller ID to my ‘phone number’ and that’s all?

Thanks for reply, once again!

11. rich says:

im trying to set up imessage but it justkeeps saying waiting for activation can any 1 help why it says this ?

12. Annesia says:

Hi, I just got the iPad 2 and updated it to the new iOS 5. For some reason my iMessaging and FaceTime won’t work, I try to sign in with my Apple ID and it says “cannot connect, please check you wireless connection and try again. The problem is, my connection is fine and I have a full four bars of service. Any one know what may be going on?

13. Brittany says:

Hey guys, my mom is having a problem with the new settings after downloading the new iOS5 update for her iPhone 3gs. When she connects to WiFi (which she needs to have on in her home due to poor signal with 3g) her iPhone sends her messages through her email address. How do I turn this off? I have tried in the settings where it says ‘received from’ but it will not allow me to use her phone number, just her email. And I cannot remove the email address. Anyone else have this problem? Please help, Im good with the iPhone as I also have a 3gs, but cannot figure this on out! Thanks!

• Brooke says:

Ugh, I am having the exact same problem and can’t find a solution anywhere. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.

• maddie says:

omg i have that prob as well i have been every where and can ot get it fixed i have even been to carphone ware house and they could not help

• Laur says:

I am having this same problem! Did anyone figure out how to resolve this?

• Jenna says:

I’m also having this problem plus when i text other phones that are iphones they open the message and it looks like im trying to send them an attachment.

• Jenna says:

This fixed my problem of my email address showing up instead of my phone number and i can still send imessages to other iphones.

Kate says:

February 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm

14. Lar says:

Man, my POS 3GS doesn’t send iMessages at all. Everything is set up per the article and I know for a fact I am sending to other iOS5 users, but it sends green SMS no matter what I do and doesn’t give any options at all. Anyone else having issues with this upgrade on a 3GS? I appreciate your help.

• Matt says:

Do those who you are sending iMessages to have iMessage configured properly? That’s been the primary point of failure in my experience, some people have it disabled or not configured.

• ThomasM says:

I have received iMessages at my iPhone 3GS and then can continue iMessage exchanges to the user who contacted me. I cannot see where to initiate new iMessage to a new contact. When 3G is off, even if WiFi is connected, the Messages app will indicate that it cannot sent at all. iPhone 3GS with iOS5 only allows numbers and letters and sends to SMS targets, and will not search any Contacts except those with phone numbers. The only safety to avoid unintended SMS is to turn OFF Settings: Messages: “Send As SMS” and to turn off MMS messaging, too

• ThomasM says:

‘Found a way to make it work: Copy/Paste the desired recipient email alias into Messaging.

Messaging will not let you browse for or type an e-mail alias, so find the alias in Contacts or wherever and use the press-hold Copy methods to get the address to Paste into the recipient list of Messages.

= blue bubbles

• breks says:

i have the same problem with you, my iphone 3gs cannot vreate an imessage, but if someone contact me by i message i can continue the conversation using imessage, any solution

@thomasM, i have tried ur method and it works, but are there any other simple way?

15. Isobel says:

So i have an ipod touch but i dont know how to send messages to my sister who also has an ipod touch. I can send things to my mum because she has an iphone and it uses her phone number. Can anyone help???

• TGB says:

There appears to be a bug in the Messages app on iPhone and iPod touch, as the keyboard does not have an “@” symbol, and it’s not available in the alternate keyboards.

The workaround is:
      1. Switch back to your iPod’s main launcher screen. Find Notepad.
      2. In a new note, type the email address of the iPad/iPod touch user you want to iMessage.
      3. Select the email address and copy to the clipboard.
      4. Switch back to Messages.
      5. Create a new message, paste the clipboard into the “To:” field.

The text entry box should say “iMessage”, with a blue Send button.

The good news is you only have to do this for the first message. From then on, you can just keep replying back and forth. (Unless you delete the messages/conversation thread, in which case, just redo the above.)

• Remy says:

I have the same problem but I still haven’t found an answer. :(

16. Cassie says:

wait so I can’t text phones with this?

17. Au says:

iMessage is not automatically pulling my phone number, help!

18. SB says:

How can I send a message from my email to my Iphone as a text. I’ve done this in the past when I had another phone but now it won’t come through. I have sprint as a carrier. Is there an email address for the Imessage that I need to do this now?

19. Remy says:

I can’t even figure out how to add other peoples iPods to my contacts though – they don’t have a phone number or anything.

• chellie says:

You need to use their email address. My ten year old niece taught me that because I had no idea either! :) I went into Contacts and selected Text and then chose their email address instead of their phone number and it worked great! You can only do this with ios devices though. :( I hope this helps!

20. Jonny says:

This was so helpful…

iMessage had been using my Apple ID for messages, and no-one knew who it was! lol

Glad it’s all sorted!

Thanks

• lou says:

hi Jonny, can you give me the details of the solution, because my friend is having the same problem, that when she sends imessages, the receipt see her mail not her number,and when i want to send her imessage i see that as if she doesnt have imessage.your reply will be sooo helpful.

21. Artem a says:

When I try to send a message from the messaging app on my iPod touch 4g I starts to send and then stops at about 80% and after a while says message not delivered

22. lemon says:

how to download imessege in my ipod touch?it is not built in….is there any way i can do that.plz let me know as soon as possible.i really need ur reply as soon as posssible!!!

Thank u !

23. Limo says:

hope someon can help me.
    I have a iphone 4s (up to date software) and i am trying to get the imessage to work on my kid’s new ipod (also up to date). I have hooked his ipod to my itunes, will this make trouble getting imessage to work ?

24. Red says:

I have run into an issue that Apple Support does not know the answer to:

I recently upgraded to iOS 5 with the iMessage function. For some reason, my text messages are being automatically deleted by themselves. This, however, is only happening with one contact who is also on iOS 5 with iMessage and does not seem to affect my other contacts who are not using iMessage. Somehow iMessage is only allowing me to keep 200 messages. Each time I send a message to or receive a message from this contact, the oldest one of the 200 is automatically deleted on my iPhone. I have tried to restore the phone from backup which did not fix it. I have located the backup file on my iTunes and was able to see all the messages (even those not visible on the iPhone). What is going on? How can I see all the messages on iPhone? I have plenty of space left on the phone (approximately 28 GB) so it’s not a space issue. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or solutions. Apparently I’m not the only one with this issue. Someone posted on Mac Most Forum but with no answer. Thanks!

25. Tessa says:

Today on Christmas I got and iPod touch fourth generation , I just got done interning my contacts and I go to try to text some one but it keeps telling me they don’t have iMessage . So how do I fix that to text anyone ,?, do they have to have and ipOd or iPhone ?

26. holly beth says:

helped me none! ;(

27. Lauren says:

I can’t even sign in. It keeps saying “Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again.” When I am connected to my WiFi.

28. Megan says:

I done what the directions said and switched it on so I can iMessage but when I type the message. The send button won’t light up and by wont sent an yes. It is an io5 messenger

29. Haley says:

How does iMessage appear on your phone bill? Are actual messages shown? And are you charged for them?

30. malia says:

i have a iphone 4 and i set it up.. it dont work!

31. Zoe says:

I think iMessage on iPod Touch and iPad without a sim, works as a messaging system between AppleID’s, therefore you cannot send a message to a phone number but to the email being used for the AppleID which could work as a Username. However, on iPhone and iPad with a sim, I think it sends the message over the Internet if it is included in your Phone Contract, otherwise the same is for iPhone as iPod Touch and iPad without a sim.
    Also, I haven’t used iMessage yet, so this might be wrong, try it anyway and I hope this works (:

32. Usswl says:

I have an iPhone 4S as well as an iPad. If 8 want to receive messages to both devices so I can continue a conversation I’d have to set caller ID for both to the email address, correct?

That leads to my next question: if I set them both to an email address (including my phone) then will iMessages from my iPhone default to data only and not SMS?

What I am trying to. Ascertain is there are some rare areas where the phone part may work but data (not wifi) may not be available. In this case SMS normally works but if my caller ID is the email address, will that prevent the sending of iMessages?

Thx

Uss

• James Collins says:

if data is unavailable, it will default to standard SMS. This will be indicated by the contact going green instead of blue.

33. Michal says:

I have a question. If I have iMessage enabled and I want to send a normal message to another iOS 5 user, how do I do it? Do I always have to turn iMessage off?

• Ben says:

No, if another user isn’t using iMessage then it will know and send it as an SMS. The app is smart enough to switch for you.

34. Leah says:

Ok so I just set up my account for iMessage but it won’t let me send anything and it’s very frustrating.

35. bethany says:

im having troubles setting up my ipod touch 4.Every time i try to set it up it says either check your network connection or go to settings and turn on wifi i have tryed many web sites to fix this problem but it never has a solution.PLEASE HELP ME!

36. Tori says:

I am confused! I setup iMessage and when I go to try to send a message, it won’t let me push the send button! Is it because you have to send it to the other persons email or apple Id? If so, i need to know how to do so! I have no idea. When it doesn’t let me send it, I touch the persons contact name on the message and it turns red and tells me the number is not registered with iMessage!! Please help! I don’t want to keep buying the texting apps on the app store.

• CasD says:

I’m having this problem. I can send my mom a message from my IPhone but not my IPad. She is the only person I’m having this problem. She obviously has it set up right seeing that she can send a message to my phone. FRUSTRATING.

37. Ivan says:

Hello guys, i have an iphone 4 and my girlfriend an ipod touch 4, why she receives my messages normaly but she can´t send to me? (that red exclamation apears). Thank you

38. Maurice says:

I can’t figure out why I am not able to see the iMessage ICONS like the smiley faces and sad faces when I am sending an iMessage with my iPhone 4? I have Verizon not AT&T.

39. [...] in a preformatted message. If you choose Messages, the recipient will either need SMS service or iMessages enabled. From here you choose the recipient of the contact as if you were sending a standard email or text [...]

40. Emma says:

Hi, all of a sudden my iPhone stopped sending iMessage so I
    Checked it was turned on and I noticed it had you can be reached for iMessage at my email address my pho number is there but it is highlighted grey and won’t let me select it as an Option. So now when I send an iMessage people receive it from my email and not my phone number. I have restored all settings toggled them on and off a thousand times..

Can u help

41. Kate says:

Go into messages and where it says revive at click on it and sign out of ur apple Id and it will send ur iMessage through ur phone number and not ur email address.

42. [...] iMessage in iOS and the Messages for Mac beta let you send files like movies, text, pdf, audio, and pictures between a Mac and iOS device easily. To use the file transfer feature: [...]

43. Gavin says:

trying to send a message from ipod touch through imessage but it is not working. The send button does not highlight and every number i add ends up with a red exclamation point next to it. How can I tell which of my friends have iOS 5 Devices? Is there a way to know from my contacts.? Is it possible to send messages to anyone without iOS devices? Thanks.

44. [...] trying out. If you haven’t installed Messages beta yet, it’s best when it has another iOS device with iMessage configured to use alongside of it, otherwise it’s just a generic chat client with a new user [...]

45. arik says:

anyway, i’m using iPhone 3gs . first time changing into iOs 5.0 before, iMessage working flawlessly. now upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 , but when messaging with iPhone 4 device text is okay, but when sending picture i can’t receive what picture did my friend’s sent. anyone has this experiences?

46. Derek says:

Ok. Maybe I don’t understand the lingo in the other postings and this has already been addressed. I have a 3GS and when I send a text message to SOME people (some on ios5, some not apple), it goes to ther email. How can I get the text to go to their phone and not their email?

47. Suzanne says:

My husband has a new iPod Touch and I have a new iPad. We live in Italy, but purchased and used these in the states for the last month. We are now back in Italy and my daughter (in the states) and I have been using iMessages with no problems, but her messages to my husband do not arrive. Also, he is not able to send messages–they say “not delivered” try again later. We are both connected to the wi-fi in our house. When I send him a message nothing happens–doesn’t say delivered or not delivered. I sent him a message while in the states and it did show delivered and was delivered. Thanks for any help.

48. Dennis says:

Imessage will only send if it has a photo attached to it. Otherwise it won’t send?

49. Tyler says:

For all those people who r wondering why iMessage is blue or green blue means the txt is free green means u have to pay

50. [...] that it’s a movie, and when tapped it plays the video. This is best with iMessage, so be sure iMessage is set up and configured for all users to get the best [...]

51. keeerrr says:

helllpppp!!!!
    i cant get my imessager to work it keeps saying wait or activation!! how do i make it work

52. Spin2009 says:

Have new iPad that won’t let me verify my existing email address as it says (correctly) that it is already in use on my old iPad. How do transfer the user status to the new iPad?

Many thanks.

53. B says:

I downloaded imessenger on my phone but I’m struggling to create an account and im using IOS 5. Pls help

54. Yasmine says:

It looked like my iPad doesn’t want to send messeges after 11 it just won’t send any messeges it doesn’t say it fails but it doesn’t say delivers neither, so what is happening there,? Why won’t it send.

55. Skors says:

Hi

I am unable to select phone as it is greyed out under the recieved at section under messages… Therefore my email is set. When i send and imessage out, it displays on peoples phone as my email address and not name they’ve saved me under… Ive tried turning things on and off again but no fix

Help?

56. xox says:

can u get it on the very first iphone? if so how

57. [...] option instead of email, this will use the iMessage protocol but it does require that iMessage is set up on the sending and receiving devices. Using the Message option also lets you send the pictures to a [...]

58. Lynda says:

I have the newest version of the ipod touch so automatically i have the messages app. But for some reason it will not allow me to deliever messages today! I’m talking to my boyfriend and the same thing is happening to him in our chat! any ideas how to fix it??

59. Rachel says:

Uhmmm… I could’nt figure out why i cannot find iMessage on my iPod settings. I checked it a dozen times. ”NOTHING” Anyone help me out here?

60. Emily says:

It don’t work

61. Lex says:

Ok So…Umm….I have an Itouch (With a camera) It’s the white version. When i click on the “Messages” thingy on the left bottom hand corner of the screen it goes to my messages. (I have none because it won’t work) So then i click on created a message and type in the number of that person. Then i type what i want to send to that person, but it won’t let me click “SEND” I have clicked on that Imessage but it still won’t work. The only time it has worked was when my friend texted me…(I think). She is the only person it has let me text so far….. HELP!

Another thing. Facetime. It won’t let me facetime my friend and it says that she is unavailable to Facetime at the moment, when i am sitting right next to her trying to figure it out….Can i have help please? :)

62. [...] Forwarding text messages from one sender to another is made very simple on the iPhone. The process is the same whether it’s a text, SMS, MMS, or even an iMessage: [...]

63. sfh512 says:

my imessage shows the phone number of the previous owner of the phone (i bought it unlocked) and i dont know how to get rid of it to have my number show up there…i dont want to use imessage through my email id rather have it through my cell phone number…anyone know how to fix this?

64. Chel says:

Can I send an iMessage to an email only contact via WiFi?

65. Wendy says:

So you can only use iMessage when you have wi-fi? Is it possible for iPhones with a texting plan to use it without the wi-fi?

66. Ben says:

I had all of this already done, but when I tap send, a message error occurs. Please help fix

67. Chris says:

This was pretty close to useless for me. Instructions include a reference to “the familiar” icon. To me, there’s no such thing. Please get far, far more basic… I need to know how to SEND a message, and most importantly, how to IDENTIFY a destination. How can you set up an entry in contacts, for instance. The author is far to familar with texting and messaging to understand how to impart basic instructions to novices. Go ahead and have a belly laugh, or make some scornful remark, then re-write the support instructions.

68. Brisa says:

Why doesnt it let me click send when itry to send a message?

69. [...] “your@appleid.com” with your own Apple ID that is configured to use with iMessage. Note that the iOS link uses “sms” as the identifier, meaning some users may send you [...]

70. Evan says:

I have an iphone 4, and imessage only works on wifi. If I try to send a message to another iphone, it won’t work using 3G connection, and then I’m forced to send it as a text message. I tried reinstalling the software and imessage still doesn’t work on 3G connection. Anyone have any solutions?

71. Abby says:

Is there anyway that you could turn the messaging bubble on iMessage on the iPod touch 4g to green instead of blue?

72. graham says:

the mobile number is greyed out in settings for imessaging and it is the old number of the previous handset owner….how do i unlock it and change it to my new number for imessaging?

73. Justin says:

Ok so my girlfriend and I both got the update and I have a friends who also has the update. I can send a blue message to my friend but I send a green message to my girlfriend.. Is there something I can do? Because I really don’t like the green message.

74. Awesome says:

If I use the apple ID for iMessage on say an iPad and iPod, will the same conversations show up?

75. phil says:

i have an ipad and iphone and i recieve the sms on both , is there a way of turning it off on the iphone/ipad when they are next to each other , it is highly annoying !!!!

thanks Phil

76. Jamie says:

I nee help on my setting on my imessage, its always show waiting for activation… forever, and i saw a message up above saying that go to email and verify it, but i don receive any email on this….. Please help me…

Thanks jamie

77. Kerry says:

Hello. I have an iphone 4s and my friend has an ipod touch (latest version). I want to send an imessage to him. How do I add him as an imessage contact? Is it as simple as adding his email address?
    Thanks!
    Kerry

• Paul says:

Yes, create a contact for him using his email address. But your friend must also have iMessage configured and enabled on their iPod touch running iOS 5 or later for it to work.

78. Avery says:

how am i supposed to identify the destination of where my message is going?? phone #? name?? pls help me!

79. Jacob says:

When i updated to IOS 5 i didnt get Imessage. can anyone tell me why this is?

80. WJ says:

I have received iMessages at my iPhone 4s and then can continue iMessage exchanges to the user who contacted me. I cannot see where to initiate new iMessage to a new contact.

81. Steve says:

I would like to know that when choosing a contacts email address why it sends as MMS on my 4s instead of iMessage when I know that it is also their Apple ID?

82. Kendra says:

How do I know if I have iOS 5?

83. Jls_Rules says:

wuu2 i cant make and iMessage account :-( to talk to ma class friends :-(

84. Orange says:

I cant send and receive any from imessage. How can i reset this or maybe start from the beggining?? Im starting to hate this. Too complicated!

85. esmeralda says:

My iPod dont want to get imessage

86. Anthony says:

I have a iPod touch 4g and I set up iMessage I tried to text my cousin but a red exclamation came up. My dad texted him and it worked. My dad has a iPhone. What is wrong. What do I do

87. Tori says:

When you message someone, your email Address comes up as the name, does anyone know how to change that to your name instead of email address ?

88. [...] conversation or even selectively delete only certain parts of a message, whether it’s a text, iMessage, or MMS. Here is how to do [...]

89. TBone says:

how do you register with messages?

90. Noelan says:

i try to set it up but I backs out when varifying the email I have ups 5 on a 4th generation IPod touch

91. Joseph says:

My dad changed our iTunes and it signed me out of face time and iMessage and when I tried to sign in it said my eil was already in use??? How can I sign back in??

92. Phoebe says:

My iMessage is all set up, but when I try to send a message and I put the persons number in it comes up with a red explication mark, I don’t know by, so do you put in other peoples emil or mobile number?!xx

93. Joy says:

Hi guys, i am having difficulties with activating the imessage.
    When i turn on the imessage, after 2 or 3 minutes it say ‘Activation Unsuccessful. Turn on iMessage to try again’.
    Can anyone please help me with this issue.

94. Heather says:

Hi, my friend deleted my messages app from my home screen and I can’t figure out how to get it back. Anyone know how??

95. christina says:

how do you copy something from a message then send it to other people

96. Tayla says:

I try to type in a contact but it says not registered with i messaging. What do i do im so confused

97. [...] problem seems to mostly effect users who set up iMessage on the iOS device a while back but based the delivery and caller ID on their phone number and not their Apple ID. [...]

98. Andrew says:

Is it possible to send messages from an iPod to a non Apple phone such as a blackberry?

99. Sarah says:

If I had two devices (iphone and itouch) currently using their own individual apple ids – but I wanted to get my itouch messages also sent to my iphone, but NOT my phone messages sent to the itouch. Is that posssible? What would happen if I added the itouch email to the add accounts on my iphone and confirmed that email address? Would only my iphone get both (itouch and iphone) messages? Will the itouch then ben able to get my iphone messages as well?? Thanks for your help.

100. Ciara says:

I need help with my e- mail because it won’t work it works when I send e-mails but not for imessages

101. Johann says:

how can i send texts on it! im real confused! please help me.

102. Monica says:

What number do you have to give them so you can message them

103. namaku_sulaiman@me.com says:

Haiii,

I try to send Imessage a couple of time, yet it always seems to use SMS instead.

Anyway i cannot send picture or anything.

104. Brittany says:

on my IPod touch every time I go to but in my ID and password it will say verifying emial… but then it will go back to the sign in page. Does that mean it wrong? or am i doing somthing worng?

105. Karina says:

I switched numbers over as i was switching network but when i imessengered anybody my number was different so now i changed it and its not working any more!!! help please.

106. Sarah says:

Just got the Iphone 4 & am trying to set up imessaging. I turned imessage “on” unders messages, but it just says waiting for activation…. I tried to check the verification email that was sent to me however there wan’t anyway for me to verify it. Any sugestions

107. Caitlin says:

Is it possible to send text messages from an iTouch to any other cell phone, or does it have to be with an iOS 5 compatible device?

• Matt says:

You can send SMS to any phone from an iPod touch using WhatsApp, Skype, Google Voice, but they will all charge you per text message sent. You can only send free messages to other iPods, iPads, and iPhones with iOS 5+

108. kayla says:

if you have and ipad or itouch, do you have a specific number to give to others with the iphone, ipad, or ipod.-Thanks

109. Karen says:

I’m tying to use iMessage on my iPod touch 5th generation but its not working for me? Can some one tell me how to do this?

110. Craig says:

I’m trying to text my sister and the messages I send keep going to her iPad, some will go to her iphone but we can’t figure out how some got to the iphone and others don’t? Especially annoying when she’s out and the message goes to the iPad at home! What are we doing wrong? We’re both on iPhone 4′s

111. [...] frequently in areas with bad cell coverage, iMessage is down, or you somehow didn’t set it up properly to begin [...]

112. [...] setting up iMessage properly, some users occasionally encounter a “Waiting for Activation” error either upon [...]

113. Joshua Riiny says:

Can I sent messages to other other phones or computers other than Ipad, iPhones or iPods?

114. Mysterious Girl says:

Well, I was trying to send a message to my friend and it popped up saying “this person is not registered with iMessage”?

115. [...] iPhones and iPod touches. The only requirement for the sender and the recipient is for iMessage to be set up on their device, which these days just about every OS X and iOS [...]

116. John doe says:

i cant set up phone number on mac imesssage . help

117. [...] use the Messages feature, you’ll obviously want iMessage to be set up properly. The message will be sent from Contacts, but it routes the texts through the Mac Messages app and [...]

118. Kelly says:

My husband bought me my new iPhone and now I find out that when my family and I are I messaging, he is getting those texts as well. Is there anyway to stop this from
    Happened in? It frustrates him
    Because he is working all
    Of the time and it frustrates me because he gets all of messages. Can someone please help!

119. [...] the Messages app in iOS (set up iMessage if you haven’t [...]

120. [...] iMessage needs to be configured and working in iOS to have this option in the first place, since Read Receipts are not delivered on standard [...]

121. Sally says:

I have deleted some contacts but even after deleting the contact, when I go into imessaging and begin to type using a letter the contact still appears. It only shows that I can block the caller not delete them. How can I delete?

122. Kelsey Daley says:

Hey guys, I been trying to set this up it is still not working I tried to send a message to one of my friends it still said message failure

123. JaeJoongK says:

Step 3 Check and Recover Deleted iMessage

Way 3: Recover Deleted iMessage from iCloud Backup
    Step 1 Download Your Backup from iCloud Account
    Step 2 Use the Backup File
    Step 3 Check and Recover Deleted iMessage

124. Jae says:

Can u help me why when I send message to my friend it kept using the SMS not the imessage? Thanks

125. Ron says:

I can’t get my profile picture to show up when I send an imessage.