How to Beam Photos Between iOS Devices Using iPhoto
iPhoto for iOS has a great feature that lets you wirelessly beam pictures from one iOS device to another, this means that if you’re editing a photo on an iPad you can immediately send it over to an iPhone and vice versa, without ever leaving the app.
- Launch iPhoto on both iOS devices
- Tap the gear icon in the lower right corner and tap to turn on Wireless Beaming
- Now tap the photo or picture album that you want to beam, tap the arrow icon at the top of the screen, and choose “Beam”
- Confirm the pictures to wirelessly beam, then tap the recipient iOS device and tap “Beam Photos”
- From the receiving iOS device, tap “Yes” to start receiving the beamed photos
You will need Location Services enabled to use beaming with iPhoto, this is usually on by default but can be turned on quickly through general iOS Settings > Location Services.
iPhoto isn’t the only way to move pictures between iOS devices though, with iCloud enabled and Photo Stream, pictures taken on one device will appear automatically on each device using the same iCloud account, and pictures can also be sent through iMessage or a group of photos can be sent with email. The latter two options also work to send pictures between iOS and OS X, though preferably a future version of iPhoto for Mac will include the same beam option.
If you don’t have it, iPhoto is $5 on the App Store and comes as a universal app, meaning the same version will run on all compatible iOS devices.