What To Do When an iPhone Won’t Turn On

Jun 6, 2013 - 98 Comments

Many of us have found a situation where an iPhone just won’t turn on. Pressing the power button causes literally nothing to happen, the iPhone just displays a black screen. Fortunately, this is usually just a simple problem to resolve, because either iOS has suffered an unusually severe crash and needs the device to be hard rebooted, or the iPhone is just dead and needs the battery to be charged for a while before it can be used again. Of course there are some more severe situations that could be causing the trouble as well, but before you’ll know if that’s the case or not, you’ll want to try these two troubleshooting tricks. In the vast majority of seemingly dead iPhone problems, they will resolve the issue and the iPhone will become usable again.

What to do when an iPhone won't turn on

And yes, while we’re emphasizing the iPhone here, these troubleshooting tricks will apply universally to the iPad and iPod touch as well.

Charge the iPhone for a While

Connect the iPhone to the USB charger and connect it to a wall outlet for at least 15 minutes, or connect it through USB to a computer for at least 25 minutes, then try turning the iPhone on as usual while the device is still connected to a power source.

iPhone charger

Wall outlets typically output more power than the USB ports on computers, thus it’s generally better to connect a device to the wall to charge.

If an iPhone battery is completely drained and very low then sometimes after 10-15 minutes of being charged you will be able to press the power button and then see a screen like this, with an empty battery and icons showing a cable connected to a power source:

iPhone battery dead indicator

If you see that screen after the iPhone has been charging for a while, that means the device needs to charge longer before it will be usable again because the battery was completely dead. Ideally, let it charge for 4+ hours, if not overnight.

Force Reboot

Forcibly reboot the iPhone by holding down Power and Home button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Typically that takes 10-15 seconds.

Force reboot an iPhone

The hard reboot solution works if iOS has crashed or is frozen, which can sometimes manifest as an unresponsive iPhone with a black screen that appears dead because it isn’t responsive to anything. This is the easiest to determine and to resolve since it doesn’t even require waiting for the iPhone to charge before you can do it, and you’ll know nearly instantly if it works.

Help! The iPhone Still Won’t Turn On

If you’ve held Power & Home together for longer than 30 seconds and nothing happens, and the iPhone has been connected to a functioning power outlet for at least an hour, then you’re typically facing one of these problems:

• The battery is completely dead and won’t take a charge – rare, but it does happen
  • The USB charger is not functioning properly or is defective and not adequately charging the iPhone – moderately common, particularly with cheap third party cables
  • The iPhone is broken, or a component is broken – common if the iPhone has been exposed to severe elements, improperly treated liquid exposure or water damage, or has severe external damage
  • The iPhone is defective – very rare, but it does happen, and Apple will typically swap such iPhones out for free

The USB/power charger issue is easy to test if you have access to another charger, ideally an official Apple charger, simply just connect it to a wall outlet for another 30 minutes or so and see if the iPhone becomes responsive. The other two issues are more challenging to troubleshoot or diagnose on your own unless the cause is obvious (like an iPhone with a bent case, cracked screen, rusted ports, and clear signs of severe damage), and it’s usually a good idea to take the less-obvious causes to the Genius Bar of an Apple Store to get it properly diagnosed.

Though Apple officially will only provide free fixes, trade-ins, and troubleshooting to iPhones that are still under the warranty service period, in practice the Genius Bar is very lenient and will often resolve problems long after an iPhone is out of warranty, and sometimes even if an iPhone has suffered damage that wouldn’t be covered by traditional warranty coverage anyway (like water damage). Your best bet is to make an appointment, be honest, and be friendly, the folks at Apple very well may make your day.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPhone, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. sam says:

Thank you so much!!I thought I broke my phone forever. In all reality I wad just using a cheap third party cable.

2. Prasad says:

Really worth.. my apple is working after hard boot. Thanks to every one

3. Scott says:

Fantastic information. It worked brilliantly, thank u VERY much.

4. Sue says:

Huge thank you! I thought I had tried everything – wrong! I did the hard boot up as you suggested and in 15 seconds of holding down both the home button and the power button, my phone immediately came up. Thank you!

5. Char says:

THANKS!!

Thought my iPhone was toast.

6. akua mensah says:

non of the methods worked on my phone

7. Suzanna says:

Thank you! Thought I’d have to drive 1hr to the nearest apple store… but the hard reboot solved my problem, since my phone had been plugged in all night! Glad I wasn’t working today or the alarm would have never gone off!

8. bob w says:

thanks, did a hard reboot and i’m back in operation

9. Maaz says:

i was worried about my phone as it was not doing anything, saw your article and tried the hard reboot. it is then i found out that my phone needed a recharge.

now All is Well, Phone’s working fine Now.

Thanks!

10. bdsudek says:

thank you so much. I thought my phone was gone forever.

11. Victoria says:

I have tried charging my iPhone 4S for about 20 minutes and no “low battery” warnings have appeared. I have tried a second apple charger but no sign of the warning either.

The other problem with my phone is that the power button stopped working a while back. So I haven’t been able to use it. I can’t try the hard reboot tip. I have tried holding the home button, though. No luck!

My iPhone hasn’t been exposed to water or such things. So no damage has been done. I just left my phone upstairs (it was working well) and when I went upstairs again, It wouldn’t turn on.

Any more advice of what I can do? I really can’t afford to buy another phone.

12. TONY LEWIS says:

Fully charged 100 percent SLIDE TO UNLOCK can’t access my Messages please HELP

13. maria says:

it was 100% charge it just turn off by its self and never came back on it was working fine just two hours ago, what should i do?

14. snehal says:

i did hard reboot and it worked…super!!! thanks lot!!!!

15. Mavis says:

Hard reboot worked. I’m back in business. Thanks!!!!

16. Alex says:

This was soooooo helpful, your a life saver

17. Megan says:

Thanks so much! Had a hard time helping my mom with it but once I read this it worked! Thanks again(:

18. Erin says:

I’ve tried everything and the Apple logo does show up but it has been on the Apple logo for 4 hours and plugged in all that time. This happened to me at least a year ago and I left it be for a week before it finally worked again. I can’t go a week without my phone right now, though since I’m on vacation.

19. CESAR says:

OMG THANKS MY PARENTS WOULD HAVE KILLED ME

20. Eva says:

My daughter has an iPhone4s and she told me, lastnight when she turned it off, it wouldn’t turn back on at all. It happend about 2 days ago as well, and when she plugs it into the charger it vibrates constantly, after a while that night it finally turned on. now that it happend again , it wont turn on. Please help.

21. I just experienced a dead iPhone and attempting the usual methods still exulted in the Apple screen showing for a minute or 2 then shutting down. Finally I plugged it into my MacBook Pro which managed to “kickstart” the iPhone. When it went into its backup routine I discovered that my phone was 1.28 GB OVER capacity! Since I hadn’t installed anything recently I determined that an app must have updated and placed my phone into the over capacity realm. After some purging it seems to be back to normal. Whew!

22. Diane says:

Thanks! You saved me a trip to the Apple store. My 5 month old 5s responded with the reboot after going dead overnight. Is this crash indicative of a problem with my software and thus, more likely to happen again in the future? Thanks again!

23. Sid says:

Thankyou so much. I rebooted and it worked. :)

24. Andrew says:

Thank you! The second method worked. I think it was frozen

25. princess says:

I just wanted to say thank you buddiee. I was so worried that id have to take my phone to the dang apple store on my day off.. the rebooting worked perfect. me n iiphone thank u .. =)

26. Bonnie says:

Worked like charm.

Thanks!

27. Mariahhh says:

I have an iphone 4s and about 4 days ago,and it like wont cut back on. But whenever I plug it in the screen shows whether its charging or not but it wont cut back on. I even would charge it for about 6 hrs and it wont do anything. ): What do i do? i accidently dropped my phone in a pond and on the road but that was about 4 months ago and it still works until now. Helpp!

28. Philippe says:

Help! my iphone lock button is not working anymore, and my phone battery drained and is completely dead. so i plugged it in a wall outlet, after a 5 hours its still dead. How can i turn it on? also im using a cheap cord. What would be the Problem?

29. nepal says:

thanks a lot for brilliant idea..it works now..try to push both button to start atleast 15 seconds..it will..

30. helpme says:

I have an iphone4s and ive tried everything…I mean EVERYTHING and nothing works, my phone is damage free and ive left the phone on charge for hours now and it still shows up with the “red battery logo”. though my phone has not been in use for a good week, do I just leave it to charge longer?? please help. I really need my phone. HELLPPP

31. Dee says:

OMG, hope this works :( … I haven’t turned on my phone for 7 days. It shows a drained battery with red line and a cable below when the power switch is pressed.
    I’ll update later.

32. Dee M says:

I phone suddenly went dead and I realized after reading your suggestions that I didn’t hold the Home button and the power button long enough. Awesome advice!

33. delilah says:

omg!!!! after 2 hour now finally my iphone turn on!! Thanks!!!

34. Susie says:

well that’s sucks my home button doesn’t work so I Cant try and reboot it and I think that’s what the problem is.

35. Thamzi says:

I went on a roadtrip with friends and my phone died I didn’t charge it for a few days and since being back at home I have tried to charge it, I even bought a new charger and still nothing. Charged it for a full day and the screen is still blank… tried everything you suggested and nothing worked. Apparently my battery is completely drained but like how do I fix this?

36. William says:

I got grounded got my phone taken and my phone died that night and was dead for two weeks. I just got it back and I’ve been charging it for an hour and no charging notifications are coming up

37. Susan K. says:

My iPhone works with the force reboot solution, but I don’t understand why it shut off to begin with. Was playing YouTube songs for my daughter. The battery was at about 50% power. Could this have ran it down that fast?! only was on about an hour or so. This my first IPhone so I have no idea.

38. KELVIN says:

IT WORKED FOR MY I PHONE THANK YOU

39. JACKIE says:

Dropped my iphone 4 on the floor and it won’t turn back on. I tried the force reboot, but nothing happened.

40. isabel says:

Img this heloed so much !! I almosed died !

41. David c says:

Tried everything n nothing worked it’s been off several days now n won’t come back on before it happened the phone used to get really hot while charging then went cool then it started turning itself on n off n if I turned it off it wud turn back on itself no nothing I’m lost

42. Rebecca says:

I had a 3GS, ended up getting a 5s months later and haven’t tried to turn the 3GS on until now and all I’m getting is the battery logo with the fine red line and it’s been on charge for about 2hours and the bar isn’t going up and everytime I unplug it it’s just turning off. Is it normal for the phone to take so long to turn on after being off for so long or it Is something more serious?

43. Vigin says:

Hello,

I have Iphone 4s and it got wet in the rain today. I came home and now the screen is black and do not respond at all. I get vibrations when someone calls and also i can speak very clearly. But the screen is still black even after connecting to Itunes.

Kindly help

44. pepeng agimat says:

what the f@#ck!! it works men…thanks a lot…more power..

45. nobby clark says:

My iphone 4 charges and the apple flashes up on the phone every 5 minutes so it shows it’s charging but the phone simply won’t turn on. Any suggestions??

46. gelia carter says:

thankyou
    so much my phone is working im so proud

47. Jennifer says:

My phone has been on charge for 30 mins an won’t cut on ?

48. Timika says:

my iphone 4 will not charge and will not reboot its self what do I do next?

49. Vamsi says:

i was worried about my phone as it was not doing anything,I did the hard boot up as you suggested and in 15 seconds of holding down both the home button and the power button, my phone immediately came up. Thank you!

50. acaba says:

none worked for me.
    took to an apple store; they said it was tampered with (of course, another store had opened the back!) and warranty would not be valid. They offered no solution.

51. kitty says:

My home button fell off so i cant do that

52. jamie says:

i have tried EVERYTHING&it turns out my batterys dead and wont hold a charge within itself. i use an apple cable for it.i found out my serial number came up as one that qualifies for a battery recall, so i have to bring it in, they then would wipe my phone, send it out&provide me with a lonar…the butt kicker is…, i cant get my phone to turn on AT ALL in order to wipe it out, as i would just do so myself.I am not comfortable sending my phone in to be repaired with ALL my personal info still on it.I just cant trust anyone like that.What would any of you suggest would be the best bet for me moving forward?
    thank you&make it a great day!

• rign says:

Back up your iPhone to your computer with iTunes, then back it up to iCloud. Then send in your iPhone. When you get it back, you can restore it from iTunes or iCloud. Use both backups.

53. Michelle says:

Worked for me!!!!

54. Luh Bit says:

Hey, my iphone 4 died and wont charge at all. These methods didnt work for me either!
    when i hold the power button it shows a dead bettery and when i plug it in it does nothing. i bought another charger and still nothing.

PLEASE HELP!

55. Amanda says:

Thanks so much! I thought my phone was dead, which would have been weird because it was at 75% when I left for work, and I only used it for music on the way there… I did the hard reboot and it worked perfectly. I even checked the Apple communities forum, and they had NOTHING about this! So again, thanks.

56. Holly says:

How do I reboot it if my lock button is broken?

57. Brandon says:

None of these steps worked for me, but I don’t give up easily. So I’m happy to leave a reply that I hope will help others. I thought the battery was the issue, but replaced it and still didn’t have any luck. As this article states, it is very rare for an iPhone to be defective (if it has been properly taken care of). After trying the above steps over and over and looking at the inside of the phone thoroughly, I noticed a loose screw – one that I hadn’t taken out – it didn’t seem to fit where it was supposed to. After removing the screw, everything worked fine. So if you are in a similar situation, I would recommend looking at the inside to try to find something that could be shorting out the circuit board. Hope this helps someone.

58. alyssa says:

YAY!!! I seriously thought my phone was was a done deal!! That was cool the reboot thing worked

59. daryo says:

force boot worked like charm

• Rossco says:

Yes the forced reboot worked great for me too but also I had to toggle the mute button a few times as I read on another post which worked fine aaaah relief!!!

60. Ell says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! was literally clueless and lost as to do what to do! reboot worked!

61. Robyn'Skyler'Smith says:

Hey there I got a iphone4 my phone doesn’t want too go on I have a crack on the screen to my phone doesn’t want too go on can you please help me :'(

62. Anna says:

You guys are the best! Thank you so, so, so, so much!
    I thought I had to get a new phone or pay a thousand bucks to get it repaired! Thank you so much!

63. daveyon says:

My iPhone 4s turns on goes to the white apple sign guide to black screen then turns off and repeats

• Kyle says:

All you have to do is get your phone out of bootloop daveyon. So Look up DFU PWNER or how to place phone is DFU Mode while connected with cable to itunes on computer then click restore. This will factory reset to current software which means hopefully you have a backup or your pretty much screwed.

64. James says:

Thank you so much… it helps me. G0dBless you

65. Xoennah says:

Thank you! Helped me out soooo much when at first I was panicking! Thanks!

66. simon iitula says:

i tried to reboot but wont work i connected it to a power socket but it only flashes the apple logo , the logo keeps appearing and disappearing

67. natasya says:

OH MY GOD THANKYOU SO MUCH I THOUGHT IT WAS BROKEN FOREVER THANKYOU VERY MUCH xx

68. yareslie navarrete says:

my iphone has turned off on its own and wont turn back on I was just walking home hearing music and when I plug it in it wont turn on after 2 hours what should I do

69. Paida mudangwe says:

what do i do if i charged my iphone overnight and then the next morning it just wont go on. I used a third party charger

70. Tareq says:

I dropped my phone and it won’t turn on when I had 50% charge on it. Then I plugged it into the wall but it won’t turn on. It would flash the apple logo every 15 seconds but won’t turn on. Idk what to do and my lock screen button is broke so I can’t force reboot my phone.

71. Victor says:

My iPhone for dosent turn on if it’s not plugged in.. But it just shows the apple but once I unplug it, it shuts off and won’t turn on until I plug it again… What could it be??

• al says:

it sounds like the battery is dead, you should replace the battery (Apple can do this for you) and it will probably work again. Usually if the iPhone only turns on when plugged in, it’s the battery.

72. jeff says:

Had this problem and took the phone off wall and plugged it into my Xbox and the phone came right on but wasn’t charging… Once I got it on I replugged back into wall and now it is charging fine, smh

73. Robyn'Skyler'Smith says:

I dropped my iphone 4S and now my phone doesn’t wnna go back on I’m so sacred can anyone help me out please

74. Robyn'Skyler'Smith says:

Hey there I got a Iphone 4S I dropped my phone and my phone doesn’t want too turn back on can you please help me I’m need of any help is my phone broken or something Please Help me out

75. Casey Cochran says:

Thank you so much, I was so scared when my 2 year old IPhone 4S shut off after not being dead and this article saved me from going crazy! Thank you again!

76. Crispymango says:

77. young juive says:

My iphone is hacked apple cant even fix it cant replace it either

• bigswaggy says:

No Juice, your iPhone is not “hacked”, you need to reset it to factory settings, or restore with iTunes.

78. nolan says:

omg this is a life saver!!!! I thought my ipod was done, but the reboot worked! thanks SO MUCH!!!

79. Mackenzie says:

I have tried this as well as many other suggestions but my iPod still won’t turn on. I have no time to go to the Genius Bar because I have waited too long and need my iPod for a trip to Florida. I guess I just should’ve charged it instead of letting it sit. Thanks for the help anyways :/

80. ann says:

81. Joseph says:

Thank you so much I never knew I could rebot it when it was off now I know to just do that when it won’t turn on thank you sooooo much.

82. Anna says:

Help!! I found an iPhone 5s but I can’t turn it on and the screen is black but like with light

83. Bola says:

Thanks. This worked well for me. What can I do to restore the crashed or frozen iPhone. Will appreciate a reply to my email provided. Cheers

84. Loreal says:

Huge thank you! I thought I had tried everything – wrong! I thought my iPhone was toast!! I did the hard boot up as you suggested and in 18 seconds of holding down both the home button and the power button, my phone immediately came up. Thank you! So grateful for your tip!!

85. lk says:

my iphone 4 has had lots of trouble lately, it died earlier on about 80%, when I got home I put my phone on charge and it has ben displaying the charging icon for a really long time, if I unplug the charger it says its not charging, and I tried rebooting it, however it just won’t turn on! any suggestions.

86. Alex says:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew what else I could do to get my phone to turn on I’ve tried all of what it says too but nothing has worked, I got the phone yesterday second hand and it’s been on charge all night and still hasn’t come on, any help would be nice.