iPhone Keeps Restarting Randomly? Here’s How to Fix it

Jan 24, 2016 - 22 Comments

iPhone randomly restarts? Here's how to fix that

While iOS is usually a pretty flawless experience without many bugs or glitches, one issue that crops up for some iPhone and iPad users is especially annoying; their iPhone keeps restarting randomly. Seemingly out of nowhere and at random, the iPhone restarts itself, and you’ll see an Apple  logo before the device boots back up and is usable again. This can happen occasionally sometimes, and in the worst situations, it happens often. If you encounter the frequent iPhone restarting issue, there is a consistently reliable solution to resolve this problem once and for all, and fortunately it’s not particularly challenging. Follow the troubleshooting steps below and you’ll fix the random restarting problem in short order.

Fixing the iPhone Randomly Restarting Issue

The most reliable way to stop the iPhone from randomly restarting itself out of nowhere is to backup the device and update iOS system software, followed by updating apps. This is easily done on the device through iCloud and OTA updates, here’s what you’ll want to do:

1. Open the Settings app and go to “iCloud”, then to “Backup” and choose “Back Up Now” – let this backup complete before going any further, do not skip this step (you can backup to iTunes as well if you prefer, either way, backup the device before going further)
  2. Back up the iPhone to iCloud

3. Once the iPhone / iPad has backed up, now go back in Settings and go to “General”, followed by “Software Update”, when you see an update available choose “Download & Install”
  4. Download and install latest iOS software update

5. Let the update complete installation of itself, the device will automatically reboot and boot back up as normal when finished
  6. Now launch the App Store application on iPhone or iPad, and go to the “Updates” tab to update all your apps
  7. Update all apps in the App Store on iOS

At this point the iPhone or iPad should no longer reboot itself at random, as the latest software update(s) tend to fix the bug or bugs that were causing the randomly restarting problem, so be sure you install both the latest iOS and the latest versions of the apps. Sometimes even just installing the latest versions of apps will help to fix a specific app crashing in iOS, so don’t skip any of these steps if you want a more stable device.

If you still have a problem, you’ll need to reset the device as new and then restore it from the backup you made. If that doesn’t work, in rare situations it could be a hardware issue, and you’ll want to contact Apple Support directly for a solution or fix.

The randomly restarting problem can happen on any iOS device, whether it’s an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, and with nearly any iOS system version. Even though the issue first appeared some time ago, it still happens to this day for some users with certain software, and I myself encounter it periodically on a brand new 6S Plus with nearly the latest software update and launching a few specific apps, but updating to the latest version seems to resolve the problem for nearly everyone.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. Wharf Xanadu says:

Ok so I am not alone, I had this with iOS 9.3 on iPhone 6s with two apps. I just updated them let’s hope it fixes it.

2. Marty says:

This has happened since the first 9x iOS update on my 5c. Always a few minutes after opening my email.

3. Shangha1 says:

This can also happen as a consequence of having too many short cuts…it is easy to create more than a thousand. The only solution is to reduce them by saving the URLs in Pages with a description of the URL in the line above. I would recomend this for anyone using their iPad for research as it is easier to organise them like this.

4. VTBassman says:

Off topic – I would really appreciate a sub header that lists or states the Ios versions these tips apply to.

• Pinte says:

Every iPhone ever made with every version of iOS, if your iPhone randomly restarts, this is the solution for it regardless of model or version. Typical of software glitch bugs.

5. MacFrag says:

It’s like 4AM!!

I hear, BRRR, BRRR, I open my eyes and there I am, blinded by the boot logo and I am wide awake :-/

Last week updated to 9.2.1, no more strange reboots.

6. Wharf Xanadu says:

iOS 9.3 iPhone 6s doing it again

7. Ed says:

This is not a solution. This is just standard practice. Backup your phone? Update your phone? Update your apps? That’s not a fix at all. I was given a 5C which exhibits the random reboots. One of the first things I did was to completely reset and restore the phone and the problems still occur.

8. Peter says:

My iPad has only starting doing this since updating to 9.2.1 so updating to that version is not going to help me. I can’t update every single app as I have no access to wifi at present. However it’s the built in ones that are causing the reboots.

9. Scout Adams says:

What could be mistaken for random rebooting appeared in year 2 of my i5 – exasorbated when walking my dog after onset of colder TX Winter weather. Soon my iPhone simply shut down showing 10% and eventually over 50% of battery remaining immediately after a powered restart. Apple Support’s free remote diagnostic confirmed my suspicion that 2 years of admittedly poor battery management, a “Code Yellow” battery was the problem. My chosen fix was a $79 new battery installation at my local Apple Store.

10. Scout Adams says:

Correction regarding “”what could be mistaken for random rebooting…”. My device is an i5S (iPhone 5S) not a 5. Please edit if that degree of detail sustantially affects accuracy and validity of my attempt to help those with a similar experience.

11. ma says:

same problem here on my iphone 6(ios 9.3)
    first i thought it was because my phone was jailbroken(9.0.2)
    so i decided to do a dfu and restore.
    problem still there.
    i decided to reset all my settings.
    problem still here.
    really disappointed with ios 9.
    btw the crash happened while listening to sirusxm.
    other crash happened while just scrolling through my apps.
    my battery is still in good condition to.
    so what if you’re calling 911 and you’re phone reboots?
    someone life’s is depending on that phone and you’re phone just decides to reboot at that moment..scary.
    most of us don’t even own a house phone anymore.

12. frappner says:

this didnt happen until i updated the latest update, and now it is non stop and i cannot restore to earlier version for some reason… i think the cure is ANDROID… can someone HELP ME?

13. jpereira says:

I am having this problem since I updated the software a few days ago (4/11/16) to 9.3.1. Does anyone have a solution for this?

• Baer says:

You may try backing up the iPhone to iTunes, then restoring it. That often resolves weird issues like this after a software update.

• arcoarenababy says:

Thats when mine started. Same date. Have not found a solution to this problem after trying several different things including backing up, resetting all settings and restoring. Still crashes.

14. Rebecca says:

I still have 8.4.1 and I’m unwilling to update because I HATE what Apple did to their podcasts app, and that is the primary use for my iPad. Is there any other way to prevent the restarts? They only started recently.

• tent says:

iOS 8.4.1 is faster than any version of iOS 9.3.2 or any other, I would stay on iOS 8.4.1 if it were my iPhone or iPad.

If you send it to Apple to repair, they will update it to the latest iOS for you.

15. Clark says:

Good advice that, in general. However the most likely root cause of random reboots is memory allocation errors.

One can manually reclaim some memory that is otherwise unused, but blocked from use by applications and the OS. This can be done by pressing the Power button on the top or side of your device until “slide to power off” appears. Then continue to press it while also pressing the Home button. Release both buttons when “slide to power off” disappears.

Repeating the process occasionally should reduce the number of random reboots.

16. Grant says:

Just replace the battery with an original one. Job done its worked for me many times

17. Grant says:

Obviously you will need to do a full restore and update if needed. If you need help preparing your device for a firmware update see previous topics. If all else fails disconnect number 3 connector on iPhone 6 screen/ribbon connectors and power on the device.

If this does not work then your issue is not related. Downside to the fix above camera will no longer operate but the phone will not reboot.

Hope this helps