How to Disable the Slide Over Sidebar on iPad

Jun 23, 2016 - 11 Comments

Disable Slide Over Sidebar on iPad

Though Slide Over sidebar multitasking on iPad is one of the more convenient features for iPad power users, there are times when the slide over sidebar feature is accessed unintentionally. This is particularly true with any app where you are swiping from right to left often, whether it’s to perform a particular gesture, drawing, turning a page, or during a game.

If you find yourself accidentally entering into the Slide Over sidebar multitasking mode on the iPad often, or perhaps you just don’t like Slide Over for some other reason, you can turn the feature off completely and prevent it from showing up.

How to Disable the Slide-Over Sidebar Multitasking Feature in iOS for iPad

1. Open the “Settings” app on iPad and go to “General” section
  2. Choose “Multitasking”
  3. Flip the switch next to “Allow Multiple Apps” to the OFF position
  4. Disable iPad slide over multitasking sidebar

5. Exit the Settings app as usual by pressing the Home button

With “Allow Multiple Apps” disabled, you will no longer have access to the sidebar Slide Over feature regardless of how many times you swipe from the side of the iPad display.

Keep in mind this completely prevents Slide Over and Split Screen mode from working by disabling the feature entirely. That’s likely undesirable for most iPad users, but if you accidentally wind up with the slide over sidebar showing then it can be beneficial. Something else to remember is that most newer games are developed so that they require full screen mode and thus can’t access the slide over sidebar from the app anyway, but there are a few that don’t and thus may be subject to seeing the accidental swipe feature.

ipad-slide-over-before-split-view

Enabling Slide Over Sidebar Multitasking on iPad

If you disabled the slide over sidebar, you can always re-enable it again in just a few moments. To enable the slide over sidebar and multitasking ability on iPad, head back to Settings > General > Multitasking, and toggle the switch for allowing multiple apps back to the ON position.

Exiting settings as usual and then using the swipe gesture will then show the sidebar again.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, Tips & Tricks

1. Robert D. says:

I’m sure someone will say that this info is too basic to write about but I really had no idea what this stupid sidebar was. Glad to be rid of it. Thanks!

• Paul says:

I’ve heard similar complaints about the iPad multitasking sidebar, usually from users who don’t use it or don’t want it.

• Robert D. says:

I am sure it is useful for some people, just not me. Like I said, I didn’t even know what function it had, it just kept getting in the way when my finger got too close to the right edge of the iPad. I also don’t understand how the applications that show up in the sidebar were chosen or whether this is something that you can change.

• Terry says:

I hate this side bar feature and only access it accidentally. Thanks, turned it off!

2. Edwin Gables says:

I like the idea of multitasking on iPad but I find it difficult in implementation. Gestures are confusing and too much screen touching is bad for posture (Steve Jobs knew that)

• Anne says:

I find the problem with multitasking is that apps aren’t designed for it. A lot of text can’t be copied (or only with extreme difficulty).

I would love to access the translate app from 500px. But the text can’t be copied. I guess they figure no one would need to.

Unless the apps are designed with this in mind, it’s utterly useless to me.

• Irving says:

And this is why I use a Mac. I have work to do, I can’t fumble, poke and prod and touch a screen a million times to try and do something as simple as copy and paste.

Give me a cursor and a real operating system any day. I need real multitasking and precision pointing devices that are ergonomic to use. iPad offers none of that.

3. Di Keller says:

These computers thingys are getting too clever by half. :)

Thank you !! Don’t quite know what I would do without this site. :)

4. Legoge47 says:

What if you have an older iPad and you go to “Settings>General> and you don’t SEE multitasking? What then? (I have an IPad2 with the 30 prong charging cord.)

5. Sandra says:

I don’t have multi tasking on my iPad?