How to Leave the iOS 16 Beta Testing Program
Are you in the iOS 16 or iPadOS 16 beta testing programs and want to stop getting beta updates? Whether you’re in the public beta or developer beta, you can leave the iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 beta programs at any time by removing the beta profile from your device.
Generally there’s not a lot of reason to remove the beta profile if you’re in the middle of the beta testing period, but some users may have installed just the beta profile and not the system software itself, and now want to remove it.
Note that by leaving the beta program you will stop receiving beta builds, but you will receive future final versions of iOS and iPadOS. This means if you leave in the middle of the beta program, you’ll be stuck on the current beta build until a final stable version comes out. For this reason it’s generally best to wait until the primary beta period is over to opt out of beta updates, but what you decide to do is up to you.
How to Leave iOS/iPadOS 16 Public Beta or iOS 16/iPadOS Developer Beta on iPhone or iPad
Leaving either beta program is just a matter of removing the beta profile.
- Open the “Settings” app in iOS
- Go to “General” and then to “VPN & Device Management”
- Tap on “iOS & iPadOS 16 Beta Software Profile”
- Choose “Remove Profile” and enter the device passcode to confirm you want to remove the beta profile
- Tap “Remove”
- You will have to restart the iPhone or iPad for the change to take effect, and for beta builds to stop appearing and final stable versions to show up
Remember, only final stable versions of iOS 16 or iPadOS 16 or later will appear if you remove the beta profile. This means you will not get updates to any iOS/ipadOS 15 version.
Note this removes the iOS 16 beta profile from an iPhone or iPad, but it does not remove the beta system software that is already installed. For that, you would need to downgrade from iOS 16 and back to iOS 15.