Mac Backups Made Easy with Carbon Copy Cloner
Backups. A dreaded word because it is tedious and boring. You say it and people go fleeing in all directions plugging their ears. So what do you do? Say hello to your newest friend, Carbon Copy Cloner. Carbon Copy Cloner creates a bootable clone of your hard drive, perfect for full system backups. Easy interface and simple backups, and it’s donation ware, so don’t pay unless you like it. Just another reason to love your Mac and the development community.
The following configurations are supported by Carbon Copy Cloner:
- Local (i.e., not over a network connection), HFS+ formatted partition or hard drive.
- Mounted disk image. Cloning to a disk image will (obviously), not yield a bootable volume unless you use CCC to restore the image to a physical partition or disk.
- Firewire disks including iPods
- CCC will not backup directly to CDs or DVD-R discs, though you can backup to an appropriately sized disk image, then burn the image to disc with Toast or Disk Copy.
- Any machine that supports Mac OS X (officially)..
Of course Carbon Copy Cloner has it’s limitations, and you should spend some time with the included documentation to ensure that you are running things properly. It is also wise to check your backup and be sure it functions as intended.