How to: Connect to your Mac Remotely through VNC

Feb 12, 2007 - 7 Comments

If you have a Mac and broadband, you should be using Apple’s Remote Desktop (a bit of lipstick on the VNC pig with that name). Setting up a VNC server enables you to connect to your home or office Mac from any computer running a VNC client, meaning you can access and use your Mac’s desktop from Windows, Linux, or even another Mac. Iniblog has a nice post directing people on how to set this up, and the only other thing you’ll need to get is a VNC client, such as Chicken of the VNC (free). Check it out!

How to: Setup VNC on your Mac
Download Chicken of the VNC

Posted by: OSXDaily in How to, Mac OS X

1. anon says:

TightVNC is harder to set up (is it still part of fink unstable?) but significantly faster, in my experience!

2. Joseph says:

Thanks for posting my blog here! I got over a 100 hits from this! :D

3. [...] UPDATE: This post was recently featured on OSXDaily! [...]

4. wil torres says:

do i need airbport basestation to set up my mac remotely??

5. You can always get a great VNC Client and Server at, http://www.redstonesoftware.com/Packages/Vine/Vine3.0.dmg

Free trials of the software are available as well, just email cyoung@redstonesoftware.com

6. Franco says:

I think someone is controlling my mac by VNC acces… how con I track this or lock it….

In my network the mac’s connected vía airport can’t see other computers….

can anyone help?

7. Art Wilson says:

First link in article is broken…. Not Found

The requested URL /2007/02/09/vnc-outside-your-network/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.