Shutdown your Mac without the warning dialog

May 28, 2007 - 7 Comments

If you want to quickly shut off your Mac without seeing the warning dialog, try holding down the ‘Option’ key while selecting “Shut Down” from the Apple Menu. This will cause the system to shutdown without the two minute dialog box coming up to verify your shutdown/restart plans. Be careful with trying this one out casually, because there’s no warning, and your apps will immediately begin to quit.

Posted by: David Mendez in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Techsys says:

Good tip as always.

[begin rant]
    I’d like to give this tip to that annoying guy on the mac commercials , that smug little twerp , I would like to shut him down without a warning dialog.

If anything makes me dislike my mac, it is the embarassment of being associated with that commercial, and that lanky queef mac-turd who looks like some Manhattanite bike riding yuppy trust funder who spends his days at Starbucks drinking $8 frappucinos pretending to be a film student or actor. God forbid, if the average mac user is like that at all, I want to invest in the lamest greybox pc I can find. What a weird advertising ploy for Apple to focus on the ultimate lazy and worthless stoner sacks of the MTV generation.

[end rant]

2. niclet says:

A lot of dialog boxes (confirmation prompts) can be bypassed by holding the option key and this since OS9.

3. buzzert says:

This is awesome. It’ll be my bridge until I finally remember all of those Sleep, restart, and shutdown keyboard shortcuts…

4. josh McDermott says:

to make things even faster for shutting down, just hold ctrl+option+command+eject for about 1.5s. no warning is given with this combo either

5. rocketmouse says:

I’m still looking for the tweak that allowed me to shut down Leopard WITHOUT dialog and WITHOUT holding down the option key. That setting didn’t transfer and I don’t remember what it was. I must have done that before I started saving tips like that. If anybody knows what it is, please let me know! I keep forgetting the option key…

6. J. Ericson says:

Yes, I’d like to know if there is any way to bypass the option key click, as rocketmouse requested. Please advice, folks! Thanks.