Convert a DMG to ISO and Convert ISO to DMG on Mac

Sep 9, 2009 - 18 Comments

mac terminal iconHave you ever needed to convert a DMG file to ISO, or an ISO file to DMG on your Mac? Converting image files on your Mac is easy thanks to a command line utility included in Mac OS X called hdiutil. Simply launch the Terminal and use the commands below, replacing the path and image file with your own.

Convert a DMG file to ISO

hdiutil convert /path/imagefile.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/convertedimage.iso

Convert an ISO file to DMG format

hdiutil convert /path/imagefile.iso -format UDRW -o /path/convertedimage.dmg

This tip is particularly useful if you have a CD/DVD burner on a Mac (or PC) and not a PC (or Mac) and you need to burn a disk image using the other machine.

Posted by: Bill Ellis in Command Line, How to, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. John Praveen says:

Its working ISO—>DMG

2. John Praveen says:

Good !!!
    Thanks allot…!
    Converting to ISO to DMG is working…

3. Eran says:

I don’t understand this part of the article:

– Maybe someone can clarify

• bb great says:

Imagine: Your PC has a DVD burner. Your Mac does not. You can make the ISO on the Mac from a DMG to burn on the PC. That’s what that means. Or vice versa, of course.

4. Joe says:

The short version to my question is I am trying from my dvd to get an iso to Createspace which no longer accepts the master DVD and the cdr is a 4 gb file which is a huge 90 hour upload? help help help… my skill ended at burning the dvd and I do have both a DMG and a CDR file now but that is where i am stuck

5. Joe says:

Ok… one simple question… when I open terminal it has last login info
    So how do I designate the DMG file I want to change to Iso or do I just add your command in the terminal?

6. hdiutil convert /path/imagefile.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/convertedima

These are windows commands or MAC??? Plz confirm..

7. senetrip says:

awesome.thank you

8. shiriajin says:

thanks a lot bro. worked!

9. AnnaMolly says:

Worked great, but my code looked more like

hdiutil convert “/path/imagefile.iso” -format UDRW -o “/path/convertedimage.dmg”

other wise it gave me an error “only a single input file can be selected”

10. ancgate says:

Great ans easy solutions. Don’t need to buy a software for that. Thanks for posting it.

11. ilovemac says:

gr8 solution

12. Anai says:

AWESOME! I love easy solutions. Thanks for posting this :)

13. […] How to Burn an ISO on your MaciTunes DJ functionality in iPhone Remote app lets party guests request and choose songsiTunesHelper – What does iTunes Helper do?Force Snow Leopard to Use 64 Bit KerneliPhone InsuranceiTunes 9 brings sleek and refined GUI – sign of things to come for Mac OS X?Apple releases iTunes 9 and iPhone OS 3.1 for iPhone and iPod TouchConvert a DMG to ISO and Convert ISO to DMG on Mac […]