Convert a DMG to ISO and Convert ISO to DMG on Mac

Sep 9, 2009 - 13 Comments

mac terminal iconHave you ever needed to convert a DMG file to ISO, or an ISO file to DMG on your Mac? Converting image files on your Mac is easy thanks to a command line utility included in Mac OS X called hdiutil. Simply launch the Terminal and use the commands below, replacing the path and image file with your own.

Convert a DMG file to ISO

hdiutil convert /path/imagefile.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/convertedimage.iso

Convert an ISO file to DMG format

hdiutil convert /path/imagefile.iso -format UDRW -o /path/convertedimage.dmg

This tip is particularly useful if you have a CD/DVD burner on a Mac (or PC) and not a PC (or Mac) and you need to burn a disk image using the other machine.

Posted by: Bill Ellis in Command Line, How to, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. […] How to Burn an ISO on your MaciTunes DJ functionality in iPhone Remote app lets party guests request and choose songsiTunesHelper – What does iTunes Helper do?Force Snow Leopard to Use 64 Bit KerneliPhone InsuranceiTunes 9 brings sleek and refined GUI – sign of things to come for Mac OS X?Apple releases iTunes 9 and iPhone OS 3.1 for iPhone and iPod TouchConvert a DMG to ISO and Convert ISO to DMG on Mac […]

2. Anai says:

AWESOME! I love easy solutions. Thanks for posting this :)

3. ilovemac says:

gr8 solution

4. ancgate says:

Great ans easy solutions. Don’t need to buy a software for that. Thanks for posting it.

5. AnnaMolly says:

Worked great, but my code looked more like

hdiutil convert “/path/imagefile.iso” -format UDRW -o “/path/convertedimage.dmg”

other wise it gave me an error “only a single input file can be selected”

6. shiriajin says:

thanks a lot bro. worked!

7. senetrip says:

awesome.thank you

8. hdiutil convert /path/imagefile.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/convertedima

These are windows commands or MAC??? Plz confirm..

9. Joe says:

Ok… one simple question… when I open terminal it has last login info
    So how do I designate the DMG file I want to change to Iso or do I just add your command in the terminal?

10. Joe says:

The short version to my question is I am trying from my dvd to get an iso to Createspace which no longer accepts the master DVD and the cdr is a 4 gb file which is a huge 90 hour upload? help help help… my skill ended at burning the dvd and I do have both a DMG and a CDR file now but that is where i am stuck