Safari maxing out 7,909.9% CPU – WTF?

Sep 20, 2009 - 12 Comments

safari-freakout

Here’s something you don’t see everyday, Safari in an epic freakout and taxing 7,909.9% CPU usage. WTF?

Posted by: William Pearson in Mac OS X

1. haymoose says:

I have had this occur while browsing/loading flash-intensive sites. I had to close Safari, go there with FireFox.

2. tom says:

Yup. Anything Flash related. My fans some on FULL BLAST. CPU is through then roof. And sometimes Safari literally its, and I send the automatic report to Apple.

I HATE FLASH. Always have. And any site I encounter with it? I just close the window.

Adobe Flash is the new Micrososft. LOL

3. Dale says:

visit the following site with FF or Safari and the CPU use rises to near max.

4. haymoose says:

Dale, that site is in java…new bad news.

5. Dave M. says:

Dale, I just popped over to that site you mentioned. My CPU usage was about 35%. No big deal at all.

6. Check out ClickToFlash. It blocks Flash and allows you to load it when wanted it with a simple click. It’s rejuvenated my Safari and keeps the beachballs at bay and the fans spun down.

A must-have plugin for Safari.

7. [...] Macs uptime and reboot historyWireless Network Security: Change your WPA Encryption from TKIP to AESSafari maxing out 7,909.9% CPU – WTF?Disable Spotlight in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow LeopardUse Firefox to Stop Annoying Web [...]

8. Ken says:

The truth is, Safari could not really use up that much CPU as there is not really that much! It is just that Safari needs that much to dodge the Not Responding Section. Just quit Safari, and it would be normal. I have several macs and it work for me.

9. Prince Kintsel says:

Good blog man Thanks

10. [...] to stop shipping Flash pre-installed with Mac OS X? I wasn’t. I posted the above screenshot last year after I experienced the most epic Flash disaster my Mac had ever [...]

11. lol says:

You need to put this on fail blog! XD