Disable Caps Lock

Nov 2, 2009 - 6 Comments

disable capslock Want to disable the Caps Lock key? WELL YOU CAN IN THE KEYBOARD SYSTEM PREFERENCES, CLICK ON ‘MODIFIER KEYS’ AND THEN SET ‘CAPS LOCK’ TO HAVE NO ACTION. Ok no more screaming, and I don’t know exactly why you’d want to disable the Caps Lock key, but it’s nice to know that you can.

Posted by: David Mendez in 10.6, Mac OS X

1. Bill Dueber says:

What I *really* want to do is disable the Help key. Anyone? Anyone? I’ve tried making new keyboard maps and everything, but have always failed.

2. D. Adam Karim says:

What I normally do is swap control and caps lock. I find a control key in that position much more useful!

3. John Ruschmeyer says:

Swapping Caps Lock and Control is very common if you came from a Sun environment.

4. Dave G says:

What I’d like to be able to do is use the CAPS lock as a 2nd Shift key (thus not lock).
    Purpose: I use my MBP to game and use the shift key a lot. While focusing on the screen action, I often hit CAPS instead of Shift with no expected results of course. Since I never need CAPS, I’d love to extend the shift key to it if at all possible.

Thanks for any suggestion.

5. Iso Grifo says:

Disabling the caps lock seems a bit extreme to me. Check out CapSee… it puts a notification bezel on the screen (just like the volume and brightness bezels) letting you know when you bump the caps lock key. It’s free, and it’s currently Apple’s featured download! http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/capsee.html