Disable Dock Bouncing in Mac OS X

Feb 19, 2010 - 6 Comments

The bouncing Dock icons are a nice GUI feature but for some people they’re just really annoying. You can disable the Dock icon bounce notifications in Mac OS X by using the command line, so launch Terminal and enter the following:

Disable Dock Bouncing in OS X:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-bouncing -bool TRUE

Hit return, then enter the following command to restart the Dock:

killall Dock

Hit return again for changes to take effect.

Re-enable Dock bouncing for Mac OS X by entering these commands:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-bouncing -bool FALSE

killall Dock

Note that these commands don’t just disable the launch bounce animation, it disables all bouncing from the icons within the Dock, so iTunes, iChat, etc, will no longer bounce to notify you of an event going on in that application. If you only want to disable the opening Dock animation you can simply turn off animation within the Dock preferences by unchecking the ‘Animate Opening Applications’ option.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Command Line, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Gary says:

Is your fix for the bouncing Dock permanent? If so, how can one reverse it?

Is it possible to stop the Dock items from expanding as the cursor passes over them? To me, this is very annoying.

2. Gary says:

Regarding previous comment. Sorry, I missed the reenable instructions.

3. Sally-Anne says:

Hi Gary,
    It sounds to me like you want to disable “magnification” by going to Apple menu; System preferences; Dock; Magnification. That’s the feature that grows and shrinks your dock icons as your cursor passes over them. I’m sure if I got used to it, it would mean I would be more likely to hit the icon I mean to but, like you, I find it annoying and have disabled it. It’s still not as good as its predecessor (Control Strip) but since there’s no Application menu any more, one has to use it.

4. I didn’t agree with you first, but last paragraph makes sense for me…

5. Steve says:

I’d like the bouncing icons to bounce higher. How’d I do that?

6. Perry says:

Steve

Just hold your computer above your head ;)