Download Android OS to run in a Virtual Machine

Aug 27, 2010 - 16 Comments

android virtual machine

If you want to check out Android OS, you can download and run a pre-configured Android OS Virtual Appliance installation within VirtualBox. You’ll need a torrent client to download the virtual machine itself, and of course Virtualbox to run it.

You can download Android OS VM here and get VirtualBox here, both are free downloads.

The Android VM was configured for an Eee-PC but runs fine inside of the VirtualBox environment. Running Android OS in a virtual machine is really helpful for anyone who wants to get their feet wet with Android development but doesn’t have an Android capable phone handy (and I’m not about to install Android on my iPhone), and it’s also nice to just play around with if you don’t have much experience with Android software.

Posted by: David Mendez in Development, Tips & Tricks

1. KC says:

can you download and use any of androids apps with this? say google voice?

2. David Phillip Oster says:

You can also download the development environment for free from http://developer.android.com and run an emulated Android device on Mac OS X, Windows, or linux.

• Enginerd says:

True, and my first reaction to this was “what’s the point?”. But a lot of software won’t run on the emulator, it’s trivial for a program to detect whether it’s on an emulator. A virtual machine would likely behave more like the real thing.

3. Sebastian says:

I think its great. Had it running on my old notebook. Gives it a completely new dimension of speed. Im only waiting now until they make Android 2.2 running natively on the intel platform. Thats gonna happen any day now.
    As I said. Its great to use on older hardware. Also my eee701 has a purpose again. :)

greetz

• Benjamin says:

that sounds really good. in fact the posibility of running a OS like this is kinda helpful to test it’s operability on machines with other VM trades (parallesl, VMWare)

4. [...] at it and report back the results. If running it on your phone is too big a jump, you can always run Android in a virtual machine that’s preconfigured [...]

5. [...] have an iPhone I probably would as well. If you’ve never messed around with it, you can run Android in a virtual machine and check it out, it doesn’t have the Apple polish but it’s not a bad mobile OS at [...]

6. [...] you don’t see the point in buying an Android phone, just to code, you can download a virtual machine of Android—which basically means you can run it inside your computer. So install that and start tinkering on [...]

7. gaurav says:

hey i installed android on virtual machine. but its wifi does not turn on. how do i use internet? i have wifi connection. pls help!!!

8. GARBAGE says:

go here for android downloads FOR FREE: http://www.android-x86.org/download

9. Arshad says:

Can I install Android above OS of VirtualBoxImage in VMware instead of installing in Oracle Virtual Box

10. Chris says:

How do you make a SDCard for this VM? I want to use a small space of my HD as a virtual SDcard (is that possible)?