Disable the iTunes Ping button next to songs

Sep 25, 2010 - 56 Comments

remove itunes ping button

iTunes 10.0.1 is a minor update that replaced the iTunes store arrows with a Ping pull-down menu button instead. I think it clutters the iTunes interface a bit so here’s how to remove this feature.

Launch the Terminal and type or paste the following:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes hide-ping-dropdown -bool TRUE

Then quit and relaunch iTunes for the changes to take effect, as seen in the screenshot:

itunes ping button removed

You can get the Ping pull-down menu buttons back by typing:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes hide-ping-dropdown -bool FALSE
And then relaunching iTunes again.

You can also disable the iTunes Ping sidebar if you want to further clean up the iTunes interface.

Disable iTunes Ping buttons in Windows

By request, here’s how to disable the Ping button in Windows. First, quit iTunes, then:

• From the Start menu go to the ‘Run’ command
  • Enter the following in exactly:

"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt hide-ping-dropdown 1

• iTunes will now execute running that command and the Ping button will be turned off

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iTunes, Mac OS X

1. […] you can also disable the Ping pull-down menu button that appears next to songs, which cleans up the iTunes 10 interface quite a […]

2. max engel says:

is there any way to restore the arrows as a means of navigating your own library?

3. d says:

changing the itunes.rsrc file in the resources folder not only restored the color in my icons, but also got rid of the ping pull-down menu. hooray for simple fixes! http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-make-itunes-10-colorful-again-mac-only-3/

4. Perry de Havilland says:

Excellent! Many thanks! I have disabled the unwanted button on my MacBook’s iTunes… now any idea how to do the same on my Vista Windoze Box? :-D

5. hayley says:

still in topic with the removal of the ping thing, what is the ‘terminal’ that you paste it to?? where is this ‘terminal’?

6. hayley says:

i want an answer! im going to sue itunes! or ping or whatever. WHAT KIND OF A NAME IS PING?? HOW COME WHEN THEY ASKED IF I WOULD LIKE TO UPDATE I SAID YES, BUT NOW ALL IT FREAKING UPDATED WAS THIS STUPID PING???! WHY DIDNT THEY TELL US IT WAS A WASTE OF TIME? I WANT MY ARROWS BACK!

7. […] Disable the iTunes Ping button next to songs – OS X Daily. Stem of voeg toe aan […]

8. mr Brian B says:

worked like a charm…cheers!!!!

9. […] Daily on Disabling the iTunes Ping Button Next to Songs: iTunes 10.0.1 is a minor update that replaced the iTunes store arrows with a Ping pull-down menu […]

10. Jon says:

Awesome simple fix – thanks a lot!

11. Jo says:

I know its probably a hanging offence but I have iTunes on Windows PC – any ideas how to crash this B****y Ping thing?

Jo

12. You have a typo in your command line to remove the Ping dropdown on Windows. It should be:

“C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt hide-ping-dropdown 1

(The original post had it as “dropbown” instead of “dropdown”)

It worked properly when I entered the command with the correct spelling.

• GA says:

Andrew – I’d love to do this fix, but don’t know where to go on my windows xp machine to type in the command. Can you tell me where it is?

13. […] un collègue 2.0 du nom de @dlalondeca passait dans le coin et, en privé, m’a partagé un lien pour que je tente une petite expérience qui consistait, via une simple ligne de code, à enlever […]

14. Mrs. says:

Thank you. This worked perfectly for me. How annoying that they don’t have an option to remove the button within iTunes.

15. Nick Five says:

Thanks for this. Apple really can be a bunch of tossers.

16. Renatta says:

Brilliant! Thanks for posting this – it worked like a charm on my Vista machine.

17. Mark says:

If you’re on Windows 7 x64 you will need to use this command to reflect the different iTunes exe location:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt hide-ping-dropdown 1

• JD says:

I used your code exactly:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt hide-ping-dropdown 1

I am on a Windows 7 PC and I keep getting the error “The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect”

What should I do?

• Lily says:

That code does NOT work.

These codes work for windows:

64-bit Windows:
        “%ProgramFiles(x86)%\itunes\itunes.exe” /setprefint hide-ping-dropdown 1

32-bit Windows:

“%ProgramFiles%\itunes\itunes.exe” /setprefint hide-ping-dropdown 1

• JD says:

I tried both and neither worked. I have 64 bit by the way. I double checked and also tried the 32 bit as well just for fun but on both I kept getting the same error. It’s a Toshiba PC… maybe that has something to do with it?

Why am I doomed to have the annoying ping menu?? lol

• JD says:

Scratch that I got it.

Also for some reason RIGHT-CLICKING AND PASTING DOES NOT WORK!! I had to type the code myself and ensure it has capital T’s as such:

64-bit Windows 7:
          “%ProgramFiles(x86)%\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setprefint hide-ping-dropdown 1

• Rachel says:

Worked like a breeze, thank you! I’ve been trying for ages, but finally stumbled upon this.

Do you have idea how to remove the iTunes Store arrows, now? Windows 7, 64bit.

18. Elle says:

Oh wow, this worked instantly. My hero! :) I was thinking of downgrading.

19. Scoop says:

Many thanks for the tip!

20. […] permalink Disable the iTunes Ping button next to songs […]

21. Michael Kerr says:

Thanks, this is exactly the fix I needed.
    Also the link to turning off the ping side bar was great.
    No more ping.

22. Tom says:

Excellent tip! Thanks a lot.

23. Jared says:

Is there a way to get this back after you have disabled it on windows?

24. BobH says:

If you have Windows 7 64 bit version, the proper command to remove the ping button next to songs in your itunes list view is “c:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt hide-ping-dropdown 1

(extra-verbose posting to help search engine indexing find this easily)

25. Ida says:

Brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing.

26. Thomas says:

AHHH! I’ve tried all these codes in windows and all i get is a ‘windows can’t find….’ message! What on earth am i doing wrong?! i hate Ping!

27. Anth says:

Thank you so much! A quick and easy fix to avoid all this ping nonsense. Most of the time Apple are awesome, I’m a confirmed Mac person, but this was just bs

28. huzz says:

thanks, i have searched all over the net and in my drives to locate the offending code. Of course, apple does not provide any help on this topic….

29. markira says:

Awesomeness. I hated that freakin’ Ping dropdown. Thank you!

30. sause says:

You are making it sooo hard.

In windows
    Right click on the EXE

go to properties

In the “start in” box paste “/setprefint hide-ping-dropdown 1″

click apply

go on with your life.

31. Carol Anderson says:

So cool and easy. THANKS for making this available.

32. Carol says:

I downloaded 3 Taylor Swift Songs and now have a ping button beside them in Itunes but they did not load to my IPod touch. Do I have to turn ping on to get my songs???

33. John says:

Thank you. Seems like Apple ‘forgot’ to include this in the iTunes preferences. Really appreciate the fix.

34. […] 10.1 release, this is a very easy way to turn off the Ping service. Previously, you had to manually disable Ping buttons and disable the Ping sidebar through a series of Terminal […]

35. julie says:

THANK YOU. :)

36. .Cody says:

It worked, thank you so much!

37. […] If you want to remove the drop-down next to songs in your existing library, follow these directions. […]

38. Dick says:

39. dillwiggle says:

I have an iMac and the terminal code thing does not work.

40. Bob says:

You can also disable the Ping from the parental preferences pane, you don’t have to paste commands in a shell to do this.

41. Will says:

Good call bob… (cracks me up that nobody knows how to run a terminal command these days… I’m not a mac user, but the first thing I do when I install windows is turn on “Run..” in the start menu and make a shortcut to Windows Explorer. I don’t why OS’s try to hide basic concepts of commands and file organization.)

42. Gene says:

Thank you JD!

You were correct that the command has to be typed into a Windows 7 machine. Copy and Paste will not work for this purpose. Some sort of protection I guess.

Your method worked like a champ for me. I will copy your method below.

***** I realized that the T’s in iTunes had to be capitalized. Thank goodness it is finally gone! Much appreciated!

64-bit Windows 7:
    “%ProgramFiles(x86)%\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setprefint hide-ping-dropdown 1

43. Janice says:

Thank you, Dick! After trying the various run commands mentioned, your solution worked for me; I have Windows 7 & iTunes 10.4. “I think Apple has listened to the complaints because in my version of itunes this can be turned on and off using menu. Go to “Edit” then preferences then the General tab and click the Ping library option off or on.”

44. […] If you want to remove the drop-down next to songs in your existing library, follow these directions. […]