Automatically Accept FaceTime Calls in Mac OS X

Jan 17, 2011 - 12 Comments

auto accept facetime calls

You can set FaceTime to automatically accept incoming FaceTime calls from approved phone numbers or email addresses. You’ll need to have FaceTime for Mac installed, and then use the Terminal and the defaults command:

Auto-accept FaceTime calls from a specified email:

defaults write com.apple.FaceTime AutoAcceptInvitesFrom -array-add email@address.com

Auto-accept FaceTime calls from a specified phone number:

defaults write com.apple.FaceTime AutoAcceptInvitesFrom -array-add +14085551212

Make sure the string is all contained in one command on one line.

You can add as many pre-screened email addresses and phone numbers that you’d like (Obviously this only works in Mac OS X).

This is a neat trick that I was trying to figure out how to do on my own when I stumbled on a post from a computer repair company amusingly named CornDog Computers. Apparently they were writing an application that would automatically answer calls when they discovered you can do it manually through the defaults command.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Michael says:

It would be great if you could do this on the iPhone too

2. Mark says:

Oh ya, this is a REAL good idea. If I happen to be standing in from of my Mac in my altogether, I certainly want my aunt Lizzie’s FaceTime call to go right through. (rolls eyes)

3. John says:

I tried this but after the it automatically accepted the call, the ringing wouldn’t stop. Anyone else experience this? I also just realized I tried this without knowing how to remove someone :\

4. Greg says:

@ John …., same here. Ringing doesn’t stop. I also would like to know – just in case – how to UNDO this.

5. Jason says:

Same here it doesn’t stop ringing.

6. [...] could take this tip a step further and combine it with setting your Mac to automatically answer FaceTime calls from specified emails and numbers. David saw this tip on TUAW’s tips sidebar and sent it in, [...]

7. willowhaus says:

This did not work for me (10.7) until I also ran the following:

defaults write com.apple.FaceTime AutoAcceptInvites -bool YES

Then calls from the address previously added were auto-accepted.

8. [...] Terminal found in /Applications/Utilities/ and enter the following command to automatically accept incoming FaceTime [...]

9. Walid says:

I tried but IT was Always accupied!!!! Thé FaceTime start then it pass To Occupied. Is Thérèse someone who CAN help me??? Thanks

10. Francisco says:

This no longer works on Mountain Lion (10.8.x).

“AutoAcceptInvites” still works, but “AutoAcceptInvitesFrom” is ignored, so all calls are accepted and there is no access control.