Once Upon a Time… Apple Cassettes

Apr 6, 2011 - 7 Comments

Long before the days of iPhones and App Stores, Apple software came on 5.25″ floppies and… cassette tapes. Here is an example of such a relic, a super retro tape of Lemonade Stand, an extremely simple Apple II game that taught kids the business basics of running a lemonade stand.

This is from before my time but it’s fun to see anyway. You can actually play a port of Lemonade Stand in Mac OS X and Windows XP, although you’ll need Rosetta installed to get it to work in Mac OS X, meaning Lion users are out of luck.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Fun, Retro

1. Cliff says:

I have never seen these before, must have been a very brief existence. 16kb!

2. Paul says:

I remember them. I could have used them with my 32k Apple II+ but I went for dual floppy drives.

I still have a box of those old floppies. Hadron was great!

3. Kirk says:

Ah, Lemonade! I remember it well. Until I got Hard Hat Mack on floppy disc, this was my students’ favorite class reward.

4. Ken says:

Oh I remember cassettes. After school my friend and I would go to his house, start loading a game on a cassette, go downstairs, make sandwiches, play with the dog, get a soda, go back upstairs, wait for the game to finish loading, play game.

I don’t miss them.

5. I loved Lemonade! I still have all these cassettes. I remember my Apple II serial number by heart, #83273, purchased December 1980!

6. David Forbes says:

Hi. I’m looking for cassette tapes of Apple ][ games, esp. Breakout.
    My son’s doing a school report on the Woz (I make his Nixie wristwatch), and I want to show the kid what a REAL computer is like.
    Does anyone have working tapes?