Transfer Photos from a USB Flash Drive to an iPad
With the help of the iPad Camera Connection Kit, you can fool your iPad into thinking a connected USB flash drive is a camera or SD card, this lets you pull pictures from the device and onto your iPad. Cool huh?
Here’s how to do this:
- Connect the USB flash drive to your Mac
- Create a folder in the root directory of the Flash Drive called “DCIM”
- Drop the images you want to transfer from the USB key to the iPad into that DCIM directory
- Plug the USB flash drive into your iPad via the Camera Connection Kit
- You can now access the photos from the iPad as usual!
This idea comes from 52Tiger, who notes this is a good way to move images to the iPad from a Mac that the iPad isn’t synced to. Apparently his iPad refused to recognize an 8GB USB flash drive due to insufficient power to operate the usb key, so keep this in mind if you are running into any troubles.
52Tiger is on a roll recently with iPad camera connection kit hacks, like connecting an old ADB keyboard to the iPad for some retro typing awesomeness.