Profile of Mac vs PC Users [Infographic]

Apr 21, 2011 - 34 Comments

Ever wonder what self-described Mac vs PC users identify with? Demographics, favorite TV shows, personality traits, fashion and style, political leanings, even wines, this infographic has it all, provided by users themselves.

It might reinforce a few traditional Mac vs PC stereotypes, but it’s fun to read and interesting to look at, check it out below:

Mac vs PC users profiled

This massive infographic was built by Hunch.com but I couldn’t find a link to where, so credit goes to GigaOm for digging it up. You can see the slightly larger, as if that is even possible, full size version of the image over there too.

Posted by: Matt Chan in Fun, Mac

1. How annoying is it that you have to identify as a Mac or PC user? Do people identify as a Sony vs Samsung user? Or Ford vs Chevy? Does this really define you?

This might be the dumbest thing I have seen all day.

• Brandon says:

People define themselves as Canon vs. Nikon

• Al says:

chchch I agree :) btw I am a Nikon Person :) But honestly I belive that people define themselfs with what they like the most. So if Photography is your passion then ofc you will define as Nikon or Canon Person (b/c all other Brands suck anyways ^^). If you Love Big V8’s then you are a Camaro or Mustang person.

• qka says:

People most definitely polarize as Ford vs. Chevy drivers. Particularly pickup truck drivers. They are more polarized than Mac vs. Windows users.

Ever see the sticker of Calvin (of Calvin & Hobbes fame) looking over his shoulder with the evil grin as he urinates on either the Chevy bowtie or Ford oval logos? (The intent being that Chevy owners would have the sticker with him pissing on Ford, and vice versa.)

• Juha Meriläinen says:

Do you know that Sony is identifying users as a Mac or PC user? I downloaded still pictures from Sony Handycam into my iMovie and the resolution changed to 640×480! (Sony is using Carl Zeiss optics; what a shame to Carl Zeiss!) The photos are useless! Sony is supporting only PCs with Handycam software. Newer buy a Sony Product!!!!

2. Trench says:

I don’t adhere to this infographic’s assertions. Not most of them anyway.

3. Jonathan says:

They forgot Linux.

• Dronn8 says:

No, they did not. Its just not relevant enough.

• Chris says:

That reply was nonsense. I guess you can think of “neither” as linux. I bet most of those ‘neither’ were linux if not al.

• Al says:

They are talking about Hardware not Software. Never saw a dedicated Linux/Sun Machine, so far it always ran on a PC when i used it. Please correct me if there are Linux Machines.

• Mike says:

We are talking software. The current Mac hardware is virtually the same as a Widows system you could purchase from a retailer or build yourself.

4. Peter says:

This is more of a demographic shift showing youth preferring Apple products to the older generations who grew up in a Windows world. When you factor in the age groups, as the very first question specifies, this explains the rest of the chart better than being Mac VS PC. Sample random 18-34 year olds and the responses to the rest of the questions will be similar.

5. Skylar says:

hrm, what is linux?

6. kyle says:

you can mold any polled group into what you want it to be if you ask the right questions

7. Joseph says:

I love the whole “us or them” thing but in reality it’s a false dichotomy.

8. PsychoX says:

Wouldn’t using a Mac be considered to be using a PC?

9. Alberto says:

We, Mac users, are snob …… :D :D

10. […] on the picture to see a larger version. Credit goes to GigaOM for the find, and to OSXDaily, where I discovered […]

11. […] Fenster, mit Partys habe ich so gut wie nichts am Hut und Pommes esse ich am liebsten bei McDoof.via  Schlagworte: Infografik, Mac, Mac User, PC Useramazon_ad_tag = "apfel-scout-21"; […]

12. Mac user says:

Pitty they didn/t show how much of each group is gay… but we can draw conclusion, can’t we?
    I’m exception :-)

13. Tom says:

It seems the disposition creates startling attributes…right questions, yes …framing seems too close to a marketing buzz of some kind.
    unique,cool,eloquent, bourgeoisie = mac
    hiding in a corner waiting for the sun to come out = pc

really now?

14. Macinstosh 1984 says:

this is kind of true, I love macs and Im a vegetarian.

15. Valkat says:

Mac since 1980? SE, FX, Centre 650, PPC 7500, G4 9500 (sawtooth,) MB G4 17″ titanium (stolen), MB G4 17, MBP intel 06 17, I sill have all of them. (There are things you can do on a Centre w/ Norton Utilities 3.0 that you can’t do now). When I started Mac was the choice of graphic artists. Games were developed on Mac to be played on PC’s. Software was a tool to expand, customize, freedom to create, NOW software and hardware sets limits on creativity. Remember the famous Big Brother commercial (Jobs’ what happen? Have you been snipped like Clinton!) Then: liberating, Now: conformity as all platforms are morffing into a glorified TV set.
    I am female, graduate of Ill. Institute of Technology, MA ASU, 3 kids the oldest in college. I’m thin, still attractive non vegan. And I still don’t do Window!

16. lung says:

I use both. I see no reason to side with inanimate objects, though I may have a preference for certain tools for a given application. Instead, I’d rather enjoy life and variety.

17. […] 2011, more PC users fall under the 35 – 49 age category. The percentage gap is estimated to be at […]

18. FunnyGuy says:

You forgot the part that says 34% of iPhone 4 users think their phone is 4G.

19. […] infographic comes from Hunch, the same group who brought the Mac vs PC users profile infographic. stLight.options({ publisher:'fe5e0a84-1fac-40de-8014-9f89fc1cbe6a' […]

20. […] Posted by LittleJohn buy a Mac. i will next ! If the shoe fits: Profile of Mac vs PC Users [Infographic] One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't… You might as well also go and buy a […]

21. phil says:

PC People, 75% more likely to wear tighty whiteys and still live in their parents basement, 90% more likely to have run World of War Craft on their computer at one point.