Turn Off the Flash Plugin in Google Chrome

May 24, 2011 - 6 Comments

Disable Flash plugin in Google Chrome

If you use Google Chrome as a web browser you have probably noticed that the Adobe Flash plugin is contained within the app by default, even if you have uninstalled Flash on your Mac.

Disabling Flash in Google Chrome is easy, this should be the same on any platform:

• Open Chrome and enter “about:plugins” into the URL bar and hit return
  • Find Flash in the plug-ins list and click on “Disable”

You don’t need to restart Chrome, Flash will be disabled from all future browsing sessions. Re-enabling the Flash plugin is obviously just a matter of going back to the about:plugins menu and choosing so.

A few alternatives to completely disabling or uninstalling Flash are to use a Flash Block plugin like ClickToFlash, to use an ad blocker plugin since most of the annoying Flash comes in the form of advertising.

This great tip came from FingerThingsIn via somewhere on Twitter.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Tips & Tricks

1. Stan-O says:

Better yet, you can enable click-to-play and only enable flash when required.

2. Vogel says:

turning off flash is just… sick, dudes. sick. SICK. don’t follow Steve Jobs way. he’s got his reasons (moneeeeey, they take our jobs & flash take our apps, etc.). i know – performance is terrible (compare to windows version), but i rather expect from Apple to help build good player, than ban it.

• no says:

Apple haven’t banned it on OSX. And they have a good argument for not putting it onto iOS. Personally, I do not miss flash on my iPhone. And on my Mac all it seems to do is run annoying ads.

Now I think flash should not be used for video. Rather better OPEN standards (things like HTML5) should be used for such common multimedia. Flash does have its place and uses however.

I’m pretty sure that it’s down to *Adobe* to bring better performance on the Mac – not Apple. If Adobe can get flash to run well on windows then why not on a BSD based OS?

3. Reterio says:

I wonder if there is a way to get to this panel without typing about:plugins – I mean from GUI interface.

4. ganesh says:

As I was testing my flash site and so I was looking for how to disable it, thanks for showing the option.

Flash will be as popular as it was, I will never let it die.