Learn Python for Free with an Online Guide and Mac OS X
Want to learn a new programming language? Python is one of the hippest languages in use these days, but why pay for books and coursework when you can do this all on your own, for free, on your Mac? You can do exactly that with Dive Into Python 3, which has been made available as a free download online or as a PDF.
A couple notes, the book is for Python 3, but Mac OS X Lion bundles Python 2.7, so you’ll want to download the latest version. Here’s all you’ll need to get started:
- Xcode 4.1 – free download from the App Store
- Text Editor with Python syntax highlighting – Xcode works for this, or TextWrangler is highly recommended too, it’s the free little brother to BBEdit
- Python 3.2.1 for Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.7 (direct link, other OS versions here)
- Bookmark DiveIntoPython3.org or better yet…
- Download the entire book as a PDF and example files, for free – you can then save and open the PDF on your iPad for quick reference if you want
Thanks to Mike for the link to HackerNews, where the discussion thread also include recommendations for the official tutorial on Python.org and the accompanying reference guide as two additional great resources for learning.
Update: Another good Python book that is available for free online viewing is Learn Python the Hard Way, thanks to those who recommended this one.