How to Rename iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Oct 20, 2011 - 7 Comments

how to rename iPhone

A nice addition to iOS 5 is the ability to rename your iOS device directly on the device itself rather than changing the name with iTunes. This works on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:

• Tap on “Settings” and then “About”
  • Tap on “Name” and enter the new device name

You’ll see the new name show up in iTunes too if you connect the device to a PC or Mac.

What seems like a minor change for convenience is really another step in the PC-free direction of iOS, breaking away from tethering your iPhones and iPads to computers. You can greatly push iOS hardware in the post-PC direction by setting up iCloud and using Wi-Fi sync as well, two other features new to iOS 5.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks

1. Kent Allard says:

You should have named it Titanic, that way it will say syncing Titanic. ;)

2. Smap says:

I don’t know why it took so long to implement such a basic feature, but it is good to have.

3. Tim says:

What if my itunes name is different than name it shows in printers and devices? Has my name on itunes but when plug in USB cable to computer and look by drives it has my Moms name. She charged ipod at my house before is only thing I can think of. Is there any way to change it back on Windows? I am running windows 7. All good on ipod, just having to see her ipod listed on my computer.

• Michael says:

Open the Registry Editor (regedit) and search for your mom’s name then replace it with whatever you want. The Registry stores the name in several places so you’ll have to keep searching and replacing the name.

• Shelly says:

Michael ~ THANK YOU! You finally gave a simple AND effective way of resolving this issue. I don’t know if it has to do with the OS of the iPod, my computer, the version of Windows, or what – but a meer click to hightlight & rename just is NOT an option here. I especially loved the many responses that said to go to iTunes or in the general settings directly on the iPod despite many even stating in their ORIGINAL post that neither option changed how their computer “saw” it. So again, I say THANK YOU!

4. [...] How to Rename iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch How to Rename iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch… Source: osxdaily.com [...]