Disable the Caps Lock Key on a Mac

Nov 10, 2011 - 15 Comments

Does anyone like CAPS LOCK? It’s the most obnoxious key on the keyboard and seems to have an increasingly tiny place in the modern world of computing, enough that Google’s Chrome OS notebooks (are they still around?) abandoned the key completely.

Here’s how you can disable a Mac Caps Lock key:

Disable Caps Lock key on a Mac

• Open “System Preferences” from the  Apple menu
  • Click on “Keyboard”
  • In the lower right corner, click on “Modifier Keys…”
  • Click on the pull-down menu next to “Caps Lock Key” and select “No Action”
  • Press “OK” and close out of System Preferences

That does it, no more caps lock. Now if you press the key, it won’t do anything. Using the same preference panel you can also reassign it to serve as one of the standard command keys, if you’d rather not have a useless keyboard button.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. yaa13 says:

How to use this key for switchin keyboard layout?

2. Peter says:

“No action”? Use it for Ctrl.

3. Joseph says:

THANKS FOR THE TIP!

Anyway I wish there was a way to reassign the fn key. If you ever played a game like Halflife 2 where control is jump the fn key gets in the way.

4. Brah says:

is there a way to set no action for z key, cause i rarely use that key too.

5. Scott says:

I assigned my Caps-Lock to an Option key–since I type a lot of German, I found it much easier to reach than the original location of the Option key.

6. Eurobubba says:

*I* like the caps lock key!

7. Brenda says:

I am a biochemist. I use the caps lock key a lot. I routinely type things like “TR-SMRT-HDAC complex.” If I have to hit the shift key for each of those caps, I will be very unhappy.

8. clasqm says:

One thing missing here: It should be possible to redefine Caps Lock as a second Shift key, since that is where people usually get into trouble with it. hOW ABOUT IT, aPPLE?

9. [...] Disable the Caps Lock Key on a Mac Disable the Caps Lock Key on a Mac… Source: osxdaily.com [...]

10. Hope says:

Does anyone know a way to disable Caps Lock for every user in a lab? I can disable it on each computer for each user, but I have hundreds of users coming in here. Nothing is more annoying right now than reading assignments in all caps and I have spent months telling them not to use the key, but many still do.