Change the Default Screen Shot File Name in Mac OS X
Screen shots taken in Mac OS X save to files prefixed with “Screen Shot” in the file name, but this can be changed with a defaults write command to anything else.
Change the Default File Name of Screen Shots
- Launch the Terminal and type the following command, replacing “OSXDaily” with the file name you wish to use
- Now restart SystemUIServer by killing it from the command line:
- Take a screen shot to confirm the file name has been changed from default to the custom name
defaults write com.apple.screencapture name "OSXDaily"
Only new screen shots will be effected by this change, existing screenshot file names will remain the same.
Return to Default Screen Shot File Names
- Again from the Terminal, type the following command”
defaults write com.apple.screencapture name "Screen Shot"
- Again restart SystemUIServer by killing it
- Confirm the file names have returned to the default by printing a screen shot to the Mac OS X desktop with Command+Shift+3
Thanks to MacTrast for the tip.