Mac Setups: The Traders Desk

Aug 4, 2012 - 18 Comments

Mac equities trader desk

Having tons of screen real estate tends to aid everyones productivity, but some tasks simply demand it. Case in point; the equities trading desk of Thomas W. with dual Cinema Displays. More screen space means more charts and more information, leading to smarter trades. Here’s the Apple hardware that’s making it all happen:

• Mac Pro (2008)
  • Dual 30″ Apple Cinema Displays
  • MacBook Air 11.6″ (2011)
  • Apple wireless keyboard, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Mouse
  • iSight camera

Not shown is an iPad and iPhone 4S, but you can see a large Samsung HDTV to the upper left tuned into CNBC or something similar. Also, if you look carefully you’ll find the screen on the left is running Parallels with Windows 7. Is this a great Mac setup or what?

We’ve had some really great Mac setups lately from a wide variety of sources with various use cases, keep ‘em coming! If you want yours featured, send in a good picture or two, a list of hardware, and a brief description of what you use the Apple gear for to osxdailycom@gmail.com

Posted by: William Pearson in Mac Setups

1. EjK says:

so…..should I buy AAPL right now or not? :) Nice setup.

2. Peter says:

Making good use of those Office 2011 and iWork 09 books I see. I have the same thing going on with Excel books from 2005, they make the best monitor risers!

3. aner andros says:

Hi,

I really would like to know the name of the “keyboard and trackpad holder”. I love it and I must have one.

Peace.

4. Pavel says:

What a nice wooden stand for the keyboard and trackpad. I wonder if it is custom made or you can buy it somewhere.

5. John says:

Wow–what that accessory that the keyboard and trackpad are sitting in? Is that something custom made or can I buy that somewhere? Looks cool!

6. AndyB says:

I have one and love it. they make one for the iPad and a charging center but this is great for those of us who like to keep things together (or keep the keyboard on my lap).
    Nice setup. Wonder what a movie would look like stretched across those screens?

• David says:

Nice but $139 and 2-3 week delivery? I can have my local wood artist knock this out for me in 2-3 days … and get it made from Thai teak … under $20.00.

7. Ray C says:

Nice set up but, it looks like its running a version of WINDOWS !!!!!!

• Kr00 says:

The majority of share trading programs are only for windows, so I gather he’s using VM ware.

• Kevin B. says:

Hey is he running Windows? In a virtual machine of some sort???

Oh wait, if I take the time to actually read the description I could see that he’s running Windows 7 under Parallels… ;-)

Kevin B.

8. Kristian says:

what a cool setup. how is the whole thing connected? i got 2 cinema displays that i want to setup with my Macbook Pro (2010) similar to this setup. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to do this. any help would be awesome

9. b0bby says:

Which apps are running ?
    I want that too!

10. Randomguy says:

looks like eTrade Pro on the left

11. bob loblaw says:

program on left is bloomberg, being run via citrix (for bloomberg anywhere) or some vm setup.

subscription for bloomberg costs $2k per month last i checked, its cheaper and better just to get the terminal, which includes the bloomberg keyboard.

12. derek says:

I am a mac lover (use it at my work + home). At work I had to fight for it since it is a window$ shop all over. Said that I think the setup above is not efficient for the purpose. As a trader you are on your bloom all the time so you are fixed to your parallels (or a VM solution) all the time. You are basically running windows on expensive mac hardware. Whats an advantage in that? Max OSX is actually what makes macs superior. Also running windows through a VM has a performance hit.
    Otherwise your work env is cool, thanks for sharing ;)