iPad Mini Release Date Set for October
Only after the next-generation iPhone is out the door and on sale will Apple announce the smaller iPad it’s been working on. That device, which is expected to have a display of less than eight inches, will be uncrated at a second special event, which sources said is currently scheduled for October.
This confirms some speculation that has occurred about the timing of the next iPhone and iPad mini events, and AllThingsD suggests the two launches will be Apple’s biggest hardware announcements of the year.
AllThingsD is a sister publication to the Wall Street Journal and is generally viewed as a very reliable source of Apple rumors and leaks.
Little is known about the so-called “iPad Mini”, but piecing together rumors and some common sense suggests the following may be true about the hotly anticipated device:
- 7.85″ display running at 1024 x 768
- A5X CPU from current iPad 3
- Front and rear cameras
- 8GB base storage and up
- Weight of about half the current iPad 3
- Appearance to resemble a larger iPod touch with thin side bezels, similar to picture shown at top according to 9to5mac
- Ships with iOS 6, which is set for a “Fall” release
- $299 price point
All iPad models to date feature a 9.7″ display, and the smaller tablet space is currently dominated by the Kindle Fire and the Google Nexus 7 tablet.