Always Play Movie Trailers in 1080p HD Video on iPad & iTunes
If you frequently watch movie trailers with the Trailers app for iPad or from the desktop with iTunes in OS X or Windows, you can force any of them to always load high quality 1080p HD video rather than automatically choosing based on bandwidth:
Always Play 1080p HD Video in iTunes
From the OS X or Windows desktop iTunes app:
- From iTunes, open Preferences and click on “Playback”
- Look for “Preferred Video Version” and select “High Definition (1080p)” from the pulldown menu
Always Play 1080p HD Video in Trailers App for iPad
From iOS with the Trailers app:
- Open “Settings” and scroll down the apps list to “Trailers”
- Tap “Trailer Playback Quality” and then tap to select “High Definition”
- Close out of Settings and go back to Trailers app to enjoy HD video
These are great settings if you always want to see the best quality video, because let’s be honest, you didn’t get an iPad with retina display just to watch standard definition video on it.
That said, HD videos are significantly larger in file size from standard def, so if you’re on a 3G or 4G plan you should be careful with bandwidth consumption when streaming HD content and periodically check your data use.