How to Delete an Email Account from the iPhone and iPad

Aug 10, 2013 - 16 Comments

Delete a Mail account in iOS No longer want an email account on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod? Entire email accounts are very easy to remove from iOS, so whether you changed jobs, email addresses, an email provider was shut down, or perhaps you just don’t want to get emails for a particular account on your iOS device any more, you can easily delete the entire account in one fell swoop.

It’s important to point out that deleting an email account removes all of its data from the iOS device, including any account specific mail settings, login details, drafts, mail messages, mailbox content, and of course, notifications and alerts for that account will no longer come through either. Be sure that is what you are looking to do before proceeding, otherwise you may unintentionally delete something you’d rather keep around on your iPhone/iPad.

How to Remove an eMail Account from iOS

The process is the same regardless of what iOS version you are running, though things may look slightly different depending on the system version in use. Here’s what you’ll want to do to remove a mail address and the associated account inbox:

1. Open the Settings app and choose “Mail, Contacts, Calendars”
  2. Under the “Accounts” section tap on the account you wish to delete
  3. Confirm the email address / account is accurate, then tap the large red “Delete Account” button, and confirm when again when asked to delete the account

In modern versions of iOS, the account settings and removal panel looks like so:

Delete an e-Mail account in iOS

Here’s what this simple account removal process looks like in older versions of iOS:

The email account settings screen:
Remove an email account from the iPhone

And the email account removal process:
Delete a mail account from the iPhone

When you head back to Mail app and you’ll find the mailbox for that account is no longer visible, and you will no longer have the option of sending emails from that address in a new message composition or mail reply screen.

There isn’t much harm in removing a mail account from iOS because you can always add the account back again in the future should need be. Because most commonly used mail servers store the messages on a remote server and then download them to your device as requested, those email messages will come back to the iPhone or iPad if the account has been re-added, so long as those emails (or the account itself) have not be deleted from the server as well.

You can also delete and then re-add an entire account as a shortcut to removing every single locally stored mail message from iOS for that specific account, which with giant mailboxes may be faster than deleting a bunch of individual email messages in bulk the way you’re supposed to. Just be aware that removing an account to delete the messages locally from your device will not delete them from the mail server.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks

1. Jane Mason says:

Hello, Paul

I just returned from Chicago and a brief reunion with my daughter who had forgotten her tablet. So I added her email to my iPad without problems. Now I wish to remove it because she is receiving a lot of messages which pop up on my home screen and I feel like I am invading her privacy! I had already followed your steps and the account name no longer appears on the list under the settings but her MAIL IS still pouring in! I don’t know how to make it stop. Can you please help?? Thank you, Jane

• No1Tech says:

Click into settings
      Go into mail contacts and calenders
      Grab a hammer
      Tap your iPad twice with it
      Restart the iPad
      Leave in the oven on high for 30 minutes
      Throw your oven off a bridge

2. Gwen says:

Will deleting the email account from the old ipad I want to give away delete emails on my computer and phone? Just want to be sure I still have all the old emails after I delete the acct on the ipad.
    Would follow the advice of No1Tech but my oven is kind of new…

3. Kalise says:

I HAVE UPDATED VERSION AND THAT ISNT THERE! πŸ–•πŸΌπŸ–•πŸΌπŸ–•πŸΌπŸ–•πŸΌπŸ–•πŸΌπŸ–•πŸΌπŸ–•πŸΌπŸ–•πŸΌπŸ–•πŸΌ

4. Dean says:

A website called Daily Horoscope installed an email account on my phone unbidden. It provides no red Delete Account button! How to delete it?

• Paul says:

Here is how you can delete the Daily Horoscope email account on the iPhone, you have to go to the following steps which are different from removing a normal email account:

– Open Settings and go to “General” then find “Profile”

– Find the profile labeled “Daily Horoscope” and choose delete on the next screen

The Daily Horoscope email comes from an app called Daily Horoscope and it’s basically spam junkware added to the iPhone and iPad.

The only way to delete Daily Horoscope email from iPhone is by removing that Profile. This is kind of up to Apple for allowing this type of thing to happen, it should not be allowed through the App Store if you ask me.

5. John says:

i’ve been desperately looking for the solution to delete an email account which doesn’t have a delete account button
    your solution worked for me in seconds.
    thanks again

6. Carl says:

Recently bought iPad for son from eBay,still as an old email address on it Ann can’t get into it till it’s removed,person no longer on eBay any help there please

7. Tammy says:

Thank you, Paul!!! Hubby clicked for a Daily Bible verse and apparently it created an email address & profile. Had no idea how to remove it. Thanks!

8. frank busby says:

I have deleted my email account from my iPhone numerous times as I was having problems sending emails. I have added my email account back to my iPhone numerous times and still have the problem that I cannot send emails from my phone. For the last week and a half I have tried to get my email account to send email from my iPhone. All of my correspondence has this email address on it.
    My emails work fine from this computer. Sending emails from the phone is the only problem!!!

I am on assignment as an international travel writer in the Philippines. I need your help immediately!!!

Please have someone reset the settings on this account.

9. Bella says:

Worked like a charm
    Was starting to panic that someone was tapping into my cell

10. Tami says:

Thank you so much. Could figure out how to delete an email I didn’t know was added. Thanks again