Mac Setup: 4K Mac Pro Workstation of a Director
This time around we’re featuring the excellent Mac Pro workstation of director and video editor Joe S., let’s learn more about the hardware and software put to use in this Mac setup!
Tell us a bit about what you do with your Mac setup?
I am a director and I like doing my own editing. I shoot everything from commercials to music videos with some special effects and a lot of color correction.
What hardware is included in your setup?
Speed is very important to me. I need to be able to edit without too many hiccups, so a computer that is able to handle heavy loads is very important to me. Enter the latest Mac Pro.
This is my gear:
- Mac Pro (2014 model), configured with 3.5GHz 6-core CPU, 64GB RAM, Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each, and 1TB PCIe flash storage. This is my main machine, and I love it!
- Seiki 39″ 4K Display. What can I say? Screen Real Estate is King! I had to tweak the settings quite a bit when I first purchased this monitor but now it works great for what I do. I get to see all my footage in full 1080p as I edit it with plenty of space for my timeline, effects and viewer.
- Beats Studio Wireless headphones, mostly because I cannot stand cables. The audio quality is pretty good and they are pretty comfortable on my ears, even after hours wearing them.
- Apple Wireless Keyboard, Apple Magic Mouse 2 , Apple Airport Express. Like I said, I cannot stand cables.
- iPad Air 2 to show samples to potential customers
- iPhone 6s to do most of my email and communication
- Apple Watch for faster response
- MacBook Pro 15″ (2010 model), 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 CPU, 8GB RAM and 500GB SSD, anti-glare higher resolution display. An older machine but still a workhorse, this is my travel machine.
Not shown: 2 each USB 3 double HD bays with 16TB total hard drive storage.
What apps do you use most often?
I still use DVD Studio Pro if someone wants DVDs.
Do you have any setup tips you’d like to share?
What I recommend is, spend your money wisely, don’t rush it and get only what you can afford right now. Take your time and build the perfect set up for you, for what YOU need and what YOU want. Money is usually the biggest issue with anything so it took me a while to get the machine I wanted, especially the Mac Pro but it was very worth it when I finally got it. Patience!
Want to share your Mac setup with OSXDaily readers? Go here to get started! And if you’re not quite ready to share your own workstation yet, you can browse through previously featured Mac setups here, there are many great ones out there!