How to Access Wikipedia During the SOPA Blackout
SOPA and PIPA are two terrible internet censorship bills that are dangerously close to passage in the USA, and Wikipedia has blacked out their web site in protest.
…but what if you really need to use Wikipedia today? What if you’re a student and your paper was due yesterday and you need to do research? What if you just want to go on a Wikipedia binge?
There are several methods to use and access Wikipedia during the SOPA blackout:
- Use Mac OS X’s built-in Dictionary app
- Open Safari Preferences
- Click on “Advanced” and check the box next to “Show Develop menu in menu bar”
- Load Wikipedia and browse as usual
For Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome’s Preferences
- Click on “Under the Hood” and then “Content Settings”
- Type “en.wikipedia.org” into the box and pull down the contextual menu, selecting “Block”
- Load Wikipedia as usual
Mac only: Use Dictionary App
Open Dictionary.app, found in /Applications/ folder, and you can use Wikipedia freely. Thanks for pointing this out Karl!