DockFun! – For those of you who’ve wished you could have more than one Dock in Mac OS X

Nov 29, 2006 - 10 Comments

The other day I became annoyed with how many icons I was starting to accumulate in my Mac OS X Dock (Application Launcher). I thought to myself, geez it would be really handy to be able to switch between a couple of predefined Docks. A few googles later and I stumbled upon a killer-app, DockFun!. DockFun does exactly what I was looking for. I can open up the DockFun! configuration window, set up a Dock for web development, set up a dock for every day use, or a “default dock” and another one for programming needs. A well written, well documented piece of software, DockFun! has quickly become a staple when it comes to using my Mac.

For a brief, yet informative video tutorial (I love those things) on how it works, head on over to Donelleschi Software’s DockFun! page. In less than 5 minutes, I am willing to bet you will have the basics to navigating multiple docks down pat. I’ve included a screenshot for your immediate viewing pleasure, enjoy!

Developers home

Download now

Posted by: Bill Ellis in Mac OS X, OS X Apps

1. Cona Marf says:

Useful but that icon is ugly!

2. Dave M. says:

I just tried this program and almost all the rest of what they offer. I found that DockFun and StickyWindows were rather buggy. I had to force quit DockFun once, and StickyWindows seemed to go away at every attempt to do what the video they offer did.

I was considering buying the entire suite they offered, but with it crashing like it was for me, I simply removed the demo’s.

They look like cool apps, but they need work.

3. M says:

Err the definition of a killer app is one that makes the cost of the entire hardware platform on which to run the application worthwhile. Whilst cool this application is not a killer app. Visicalc, that was a killer app.

4. [...] The other day I became annoyed with how many icons I was starting to accumulate in my Mac OS X Dock (Application Launcher). I thought to myself, geez it would be really handy to be able to switch between a couple of predefined Docks. A few googles later and I stumbled upon a killer-app, DockFun!. Does this sounds like you? Check out DockFun. [...]

5. Nick says:

The more docks the better!!

6. Jesse Curry says:

I just use quicksilver, I’m almost to the point where I won’t even need the dock for anything.

7. Ryan says:

Overflow is better for this type of thing.

8. Geoff Taylor says:

Why? Quicksilver, Launchbar, Butler… try one of those!

Forget multiple docks!

9. subcorpus says:

quicksilver is the wa to go …
    cant live without it …
    try it … wont regert it …

10. OsakanOne says:

One dock is more than enough, since there’s no point in launching applications from it (clutters up your task management abilities. More apps = more clutter in the dock hence multiple desktops in the next version).

Quicksilver’s my key launcher of choice but if someone could come up with an application which lets me plant launch widgets, RSS feeds and whatnot in something that drops from below the MenuBar or organize tasks into specific groups or launch macros, I’d happily drop $20 for it provided it’s Always Ontop and unoffensive to the eye.