MAMP: From Zero to Web Server in 2 minutes

Feb 22, 2009 - 10 Comments

MAMP: It stands for Mac Apache MySql PHP. It delivers on all four of these fronts and it does it very efficiently. MAMP is nice because you can install it (and delete it) without altering anything “built-in” to your OS X installation. Every file that MAMP needs and uses lives inside of the MAMP folder that you download. This includes all php, mysql and apache configuration files. MAMP ships with a small application that when launched gives you the ability to switch port numbers and control the state of the servers. Also included is a dashboard widget which allows for the same control, from a slightly different angle. For those command-line faint of heart, MAMP ships with phpMyAdmin a very nice front end to MySQL. All of this, out of the box, for free! Other eye-catching features include the ability to switch from PHP 4 to PHP 5 and the ability to enable cache mechanisms on the fly. Visit the MAMP site for more details.

Posted by: Bill Ellis in Development, Mac OS X, OS X Apps, Utilities, Widget

1. Web Designer says:

Thanks dude! I am been using XAMPP ever since I used windows but I now I switched to Mac I dont know what to do next. What I did was install vmware and run xampp there, which takes a huge part of my system resources. thanks again for this :)

2. _Antonio_ says:

I also been using xampp but in OSX there’s bundled apache and php, why use mamp?
    I’m not flaming, I’m really want to know why you can prefer mamp.
    By the way enabling this is really simple (see this: http://www.procata.com/blog/archives/2007/10/28/working-with-php-5-in-mac-os-x-105/).
    Bye.

3. Web Designer says:

oops i never knew there is a built in support on osx. well anyway ill keep my mamp for now until i decide to use the bundled software on osx. thanks Antonio for this :)

4. developing purposes says:

does MAMP have perl?

@ Web Designer – there is a XAMPP build for Mac OS X

5. tv series says:

6. glutamine says:

7. [...] your local machine using either the built-in Mac OS X Apache server or, in my case, something like MAMP. You can make your local development life a bit easier by setting a local domain, here’s [...]

8. bull 100 says:

9. All of this, out of the box, for free! Other eye-catching features include the ability to switch from PHP 4 to PHP 5 and the ability to enable cache mechanisms on the fly. Visit the MAMP site for more details.