Compare two files with FileMerge

Mar 4, 2010 - 7 Comments

If you’re a developer and you haven’t found out about FileMerge yet, you are missing out on one of the more useful apps included within Apple’s XCode installation. FileMerge lets you select any two files and it will compare the two, pointing out any differences between the files. If you’re a developer you already know why this is wildly useful, as it makes tracking down major and minor code changes remarkably easy. Apparently FileMerge is a survivor from the days of NeXTStep, and once you see how useful it is, you’ll see why it was saved and bundled with XCode.

XCode can be installed from the CD/DVD’s included with your Mac, or downloaded for free from the Apple Developer site. Once XCode has been installed, FileMerge will be located at /Developer/Applications/Utilities/FileMerge

FileMerge file comparison mac

[ FileMerge screenshot from Schwehr.org ]

Posted by: Bill Ellis in Development, Mac OS X, Utilities

1. CaptSaltyJack says:

DiffMerge (by SourceGear) is way better. Just sayin’.

• Bob says:

It is good but isn’t available on OS X you dim-wit toss pot, hence why FileMerge is still the best available for free on OS X. Twat.

• CaptSaltyBob says:

It is available on OS X you chode smoker, hence why CaptSaltyJack is better than you. I’ll check back next year for your reply. Numbnuts.

2. [...] you’re looking for a more developer orientated version of file comparison, check out [...]

3. phoenix says:

DiffMerge is available for Mac OSX, Windows, Linux, and is a fabulous tool. Much better than some FileMerge that’s hidden in a whole bunch of other stuff I don’t need (xcode).

4. SaulDan says:

Hello,
    I received my new MacBook Air yesterday with Mac OS X 10.7.4, and then installed Xcode 4.4. The version of FileMerge that comes with it is giving me problems with saving a file after a merge: if I have merged two files and want to save the result, then FileMerge gives me an error message “Unable to save to file..”. Have other people experienced this? I tried downloading Kdiff3 and using that, but I have the same problem with Kdiff3 too, it tells me “error while writing” when I try to “save as”. Thank you for any help.

• Elam says:

Yeah, I have that problem, although I don’t get an error message. The merge is just never saved.

It doesn’t matter if I try and save over an existing file or save the merge to a brand new file.

Annoying.