Stop Skype from Starting Automatically on a Mac

Jul 7, 2010 - 7 Comments

I recently discovered that the new version of Skype launches itself automatically on either user login or system boot. Annoying. Here’s how to disable Skype from launching automatically the next time you start up your Mac:

Stop Skype from automatically starting by using the Dock

This is the easiest method to prevent Skype from autolaunching:

• Wait for Skype to Launch
  • Right-Click on the Skype icon in the Dock
  • Scroll up to ‘Options’ and uncheck ‘Open at Login’
  • Quit Skype

Now the next time you login or boot up your Mac you shouldn’t see Skype launching.

stop skype opening on system start mac

You can also manage login items through the System Preferences and achieve the same result:

• Launch System Preferences
  • Click on ‘Accounts’
  • Click on your user account
  • Click on ‘Login Items’
  • Select Skype and click the – icon at the bottom of the preference screen
  • Close System Preferences

I think it’s easiest to just disable the login items through the Dock icons, it’s less steps and a lot faster.

Unrelated to Skype but related to application autolaunching, check out a complete guide to Mac startup application launches and login scripts if you’re interested.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. GT says:

I hope this isn’t a stupid question, but how did you get the black, semi-transparent menu? Is it Snow Leopard?

• Erwin Mckelphin says:

If you right-click on the Dock items that is how the menu is displayed. I think it has been around since 10.5 but it is certainly in Snow Leopard 10.6

• GT says:

Oh, no, I know how to access the menu… I meant, how do I get it in that color? Mine is white and completely opaque. I’ve tried changing my theme to graphite but this didn’t change the menu’s color at all.

2. Brogroove says:

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

3. Liam says:

Thanks for the two solutions to the Skype launch on startup issue.

4. Kevin Payne says:

This works the first time, but the next time you start Skype it adds itself back to the login items…

I cannot believe the developer doe this, I will decide what and when things launch.

5. kpuo says:

I was about to throw a hissy fit when I couldn’t figure this out, when in fact it’s just another case of simplicity slapping me in the face.

Thanks for the how-to!