Free Keylogger for Mac OS X – logkext

Oct 1, 2010 - 8 Comments

keylogger for mac

If you’re looking for a discrete and barebones keylogger for Mac OS X, logkext will likely fit the bill. It’s a free download and completely open source, which also makes it preferable in my book.

logkext is particularly powerful because it loads into the Mac OS X kernel, thereby bypassing user-level security measures. Once set to load in the kernel, it will start automatically upon system reboot and maintain it’s running encrypted log until you uninstall the keylogger client.

The main downside to logkext is that it runs entirely in the Terminal and you must install, access, and uninstall the app through the command line, this keeps it off limits to many Mac users – which may be for better or worse. This is not a simple GUI app for novice users.

You can get logkext from Google Code as a free download.

I was originally hesitant to post a keylogger recommendation just due to the abuse of such applications, but I do understand there are legitimate uses for the software. Other than for security purposes, I’ve heard of people using keyloggers to keep track of their young childrens internet habits. If this is your thought, instead of using a keylogger I would suggest other tips to make your Mac kid friendly and even blocking websites from the Mac to create a more child-friendly computing experience.

Posted by: Manish Patel in Mac OS X, Security

1. chetin says:

hi,is it possible to install this logkext software if the laptop is password protected,or is there a pc>mac logkext software remote installation???

2. JOHN says:

No, it is not possible to install the logkext software without system admin password. But you can still install some free keylogger software like Aobo Keylogger. Anyway, logkext is not easy to use, it is for advanced users who knows a lot about Terminal shell script.

3. Jade says:

LogKext is so difficult to use but anyway, it is free. To be frank, installing LogKext is my first try for Terminal. It confused me so I turn to other easy-to-use ones. I tried Amac Keylogger. It has more features than a keylogger and works very well with me, but, not free. :-(
    Is Aobo Keylogger free? I wanna take a try!

4. [...] you are using a public Mac or are just concerned about things like keyloggers and other potentially unauthorized access to your keystrokes, you can enable a feature in Mac OS X [...]

5. Dougbm says:

Tried LogKext.
    It wouldn’t accept the password.
    So I can’t use it.

6. Isabell says:

Logkext not working
    Is there other free mac keylogger
    Got Aobo keylogger Mac free trial for 3 days
    But i woud like a free one for a month

7. Johan says:

Somebody tried Perfect Keylogger for Mac Lite? it seems to be free. plz help

8. Bobby says:

Thx Johan Perfect Keylogger Lite for mac seems to be useful… found at mac – key logger . org