Eject a CD/DVD from the Mac OS X menu bar

Oct 8, 2010 - 10 Comments

eject dvd menubar

There are numerous ways to eject a DVD from a Mac, but using a relatively unknown menubar item you can do this directly from the menubar too.

To enable this feature, navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ and double click on Eject.menu

The easiest way to do this is with the “Go To Folder” key combo, which is Command+Shift+G and then paste in
/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ then locate Eject.menu to open it into your menu. Disabling the menubar extra is easy, just hold down Command and drag it out of your menubar.

Posted by: Manish Patel in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Steve says:

Boy, you guys sure find hard ways to do stuff. Why would you not use Command-E? Or the keyboard eject button?

• Alberto says:

Yes, and it is not the first time…
      But yes, it can show that it is possible to get the same result using different ways.

2. Jean-Pierre Nelson says:

Easier way :

Open a Finder window, pull down the View menu and choose Customize toolbar…

Drag the Eject button to the toolbar

3. David says:

cool. also what version of synergy are you using could you do an article on that / provide link? :)

thanks!

4. Rowan says:

“Go To Folder” key combo, which is Command+Shift+F should be “Go To Folder” key combo, which is Command+Shift+G

5. Jason says:

I was looking for a reason to complain, and I found at least two: first my coffee is kind of bland this morning but the good news is I use an old DVD as a coaster. And second, my breakfast didn’t make itself, which at this point could resemble two DVD’s stacked on top of each other with some ham in between.

I just wanted to chime that in.

Really, who uses DVD players anymore?

6. Miles says:

If there are two drives installed, as on a recent Mac Pro, would this menu show them each and allow for independent control?

7. susan says:

If a DVD is stuck in the drive, and you’ve tried everything else (like I did), try this. Turn off Mac Pro. BEFORE you turn the Mac back on, press down the eject button (upper right hand corner of keyboard) & CONTINUE TO HOLD IT DOWN through the boot up process and until the DVD ejects. I tried everything and finally called Apple and this is what he told me to do. It worked immediately.

8. […] گر Trackpad  خود کلید میانبر را به داخل صفحه بکشید. osxdaily.com           likebot_bgcolor = ''; likebot_url = […]