Amazing Mac Uptime: 454 Days

Oct 21, 2010 - 9 Comments

ibook record uptime 454 days

Just when I thought my personal record uptime of 160 days on a MacBook server was exciting, one of our readers blew my uptime away… by almost a year!

Stephan Burlot‘s personal record uptime? A staggering 454 days with his iBook. Apparently the iBook monitors his homes electrical usage and runs Mac OS X 10.4.11.

If you didn’t know, uptime is just a measure of how long your computer has been running without a system reboot. A long system uptime is a geeky badge of honor of sorts, and obviously a nice sign of system stability. You can check your Mac uptime by typing ‘uptime’ into the Terminal.

Posted by: William Pearson in Fun, Mac OS X

1. david says:

I wonder what the last patch was installed on that mac. :) I like the uptime game too. I manage lots of unix servers and have my own macs but patches take a front seat for me and often a reboots required so I stopped careing. especially since I’ve seen a win 2000 server with only “sp1″ on it be up for over for over 4 years at one company I worked at. i turned white haired that day when i found it.

2. Joseph says:

I can imagine all the dust that builds up on the heat sink over all that time!

3. Mike says:

Wow, and I’m excited with two weeks…

4. Justin says:

I have a machine here that has an uptime of 462 days.

5. Nadia says:

and i’m happy with 6 days :D

6. Ben says:

My MacBook’s battery gave out 41 days ago and I have had it plugged in since then and guess what? No crashed, no need to reboot- and I use it all the time for hours on end!

7. Brent says:

I didn’t know anybody kept track of such things. I have no proof but I had my 14 ibook running none stop for over 2 years close to 3.

8. Ian says:

i guess nobody here’s heard of hitup.org, The Worldwide OSX Computer uptime challenge?

The absolute uptime record (as far as Hitup’s competitors go, at least):
    Anders Thorssell from Sweden with over 8 Years (3180 days, 11:36). not too shabby. :)

9. tar heel in texas says:

In the summer of 2007, in order to keep a software demo from expiring, I had a mac mini running for about 7 months, including a week where I was gone on a trip, and had to put it into a locked, safari-only kiosk mode for the housesitter to use. I finally had to shut it down when it came time to change apartments. Seven months isn’t that big a deal, but just this morning I woke up a laptop that had been asleep in my storage room for the last 8 months. It came right back up without any hesitation or hiccups.