Set iPhone Camera LED to Flash on Incoming Calls and Alerts

Oct 21, 2011 - 43 Comments

Flash the iPhones camera LED light on incoming calls or messages

The iPhone’s camera LED flash can be used to alert you to incoming calls, messages, and other alerts. With this feature enabled, anytime a call comes in the devices LED will flash repeatedly, even when the iPhone is on silent mode.

Enable LED Flash Alert for iPhone with iOS 5

• Tap on the “Settings” app and then on “General”
  • Select “Accessibility” and toggle the ON switch next to “LED Flash for Alerts”

This was an old jailbreaking tweak, but Apple adopted it as an accessibility feature for iOS 5. Undeniably useful for those with hearing difficulties, it’s also genuinely useful for those of us who regularly keep their phones on mute.

Thanks to Barry S. for sending in the great tip!

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPhone, Tips & Tricks

1. MotionMan says:

You say “EVEN when the iPhone is on silent mode.” Actually, it works “ONLY when the iPhone is on silent mode.”

2. clasqm says:

what does this do to battery life?

3. Devy says:

Turned in on, called on both silent or ringer, it DIDN’T work for my iPhone 4S!

4. Jonathan says:

Actually only works on TEXTS not calls…

5. Devy says:

Tried many ways to get it work: restarting, switch the feature on/off, it DID finally WORKED. The trick is that you can’t have any background apps running (like the ones that sends notifications etc.) You will have to double click home button and then long press one of the app icon on the task bar and then cross all these background apps out! Then it will WORK. TESTED for BOTH ringer mode AND vibrate mode and ON ALL CALLS or Notifications! And you must lock the keyboard or iPhone is asleep.

6. KSRae says:

I go through these steps and there’s NO LED Flash Alert listed there. And yes, I’m on iOS5. Any idea where else it might be?

7. Demon says:

It works on my iPhone 4, on silent mode, and in ring mode, for incoming calls, sms, mail, and i have background apps running

8. Demon says:

What is it with Mono audio, i think the iphone 4 is Mono, the speaker is on the right on bottom

9. Dawn says:

It flashes only once when the text, call comes in but not repeatidly.

10. Debora says:

Finally!!! thank you so much for helping me switch off this feature. It became so tiresome when my phone flashed at everything… calls, texts, alarm etc and I couldn’t remember how to switch it off.

11. Jon says:

Don’t work on 4s bit of a silly one really

12. DK says:

Go to camera and set flash to auto or on. Then it works.
    Most probably you have turned it off.

13. Daisy says:

I have the 4S and the flash works fine, with or without apps running and it works with both silent and ring on/off for texts, calls, alerts, etc.

14. Swapnil says:

My LED lifht is not turning off even if I have changed the accessibility settingd…pls HELP!!

15. Hank says:

Just noticed today that mine is working after applying recent update via iTunes. Tried calling my cell from a land line and it did NOT flash. Got a call from out of state and it did flash. The switch is on…the apps are all closed and phone on vibrate. STRANGE

16. Marky bassline says:

Ur phones gotta b locked after uve done the settings then it will flash:)

17. Rich says:

Finally works thank so much

18. chris says:

here’s the lowdown:
    LED works with 4s
    phone MUST be locked
    Face up / Face down does not matter
    running background apps does not matter
    works for rings and texts (at least, thats all i care about)

• Walter Gassner says:

It only works for a short time…Is there anyway for it to KEEP flashing so I will know that a call came in when I was away? I use my iPhone as my home phone, and is always plugged into electric, so don’t worry about battery life.

19. sebastianf says:

the flashlight in the camera app must not be turned off.
    it hast be set to auto or on

20. guest says:

Go to General->Accesibility and turn of Flash Indication for incoming calls.

21. The trick is that you can’t have any background apps running (like the ones that sends notifications etc.) You will have to double click home button and then long press one of the app icon on the task bar and then cross all these background apps out! Then it will WORK. TESTED for BOTH ringer mode AND vibrate mode and ON ALL CALLS or Notifications! And you must lock the keyboard or iPhone is asleep. IT’s workable :D

22. topdog417 says:

Mine works any which way with all apps or no apps running. locked screen and unlocked. silent mode or regular. Only thing I need to do was have my camera flash on auto.

23. Neiro says:

Me too I can’t get it to work :( Mine is an iPhone 5 with iOS 6…

24. Cherie says:

I couldn’t get it to work on my phone. After reading the posts on here, I switched the camera flash to auto and it worked!

25. Nidhi says:

Incoming call flash light option is only available for 4s ?? Or we can set on iPhone 4 as well.

26. Idiots says:

Phone has to be locked or in sleep mode to work :) that’s exactly what it is brains over here

27. Jiten says:

thanks dude…really gr8 help

28. [...] some ways this is similar to the iPhone’s LED light alert feature that flashes with incoming phone calls and texts, except that it flashes for all alerts on the Mac, [...]

29. Leah says:

Doesn’t work on my iPhone 5 :/

30. Saima says:

I’ve tried everything and it doesn’t work on my iPhone 5s with io7, worked perfectly with my 4s io6

31. adam says:

I had this feature on my iphone 5 an when I upgraded the iOS now I can’t turn it off. the option is completely gone.