Quickly Close Desktop Spaces in Mac OS X Lion’s Mission Control

Oct 27, 2011 - 11 Comments

Close Desktop Spaces in Mission Control

You can quickly close desktop spaces in Mac OS X Lion’s Mission Control by holding down the Option key, this causes the familiar iOS style (X) close symbol to appear over the spaces which can then be rapidly closed.

Alternately, you can mouse over spaces and the close button will appear on hover after a second or two, but the option key is immediate. For both approaches, closing a space that contains an app or windows results in those windows being shuffled over to the next desktop.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X

1. Tedders says:

They should have a ‘close and merge all’ option

2. Chucho says:

Where did you get the Background for Desktop 3?

Can you share it?

3. Tricky Business says:

Hi Paul,

I was wondering since i barely shut down my iMac, is there a possibility to ‘name’ each desktop? I.e., production, design, games etc. etc. instead of seeing Desktop 1, 2, 3 etc. ?

• Paul says:

Unfortunately there isn’t a way to change the names of desktops, but if you full screen an app then the desktop will assume the apps name. Hopefully a future version of OS X will allow for this.

• Tricky Business says:

Thank you for the quick reply. I kinda suspected that. It doesn’t matter i guess. I mean the visual representation gives the user the ability to identify application running in other desktops.

4. Teri says:

How did you add more Desktops than what is allowed in full screen apps??

• Tricky Business says:

Just like Paul mentioned, when in Mission Control press the Option key to make a new desktop appear on the right side of the screen. Just like you use Option key to remove desktops

5. [...] Quickly Close Desktop Spaces in Mac OS X Lion’s Mission Control Quickly Close Desktop Spaces in Mac OS X Lion’s Mission Control… Source: osxdaily.com [...]

6. [...] another nice background picture, by request, it’s the blue sky star field wallpaper that was shown in a recent screenshot of Mission [...]

7. Chad says:

Is there any way to close all of the desktops and have nothing up there? Honestly, I liked it better the old way with spaces which I accessed with corners. I wish I had the option to set it that way now.