Quickly Access iPhone & iPad Settings with IconSettings Shortcuts

Nov 18, 2011 - 19 Comments

IconSettings is like SBSettings for iPhone and iPad

Using iOS folders and some bookmarks, anyone can mimic the quick iOS Settings access of the popular jailbreak tweak SBSettings – minus the jailbreak. It’s simple and you don’t have to install anything but a few shortcuts:

Some of the most useful shortcuts to add are: Network, Brightness, Software Update, Bluetooth, WiFi, HotSpot, etc. Going to the bottom of the page will show the ‘old’ method of creating bookmarks through Safari rather than using profiles, you can go with whatever method you’re comfortable with. Most of the choices should behave on all iOS 5 hardware, but some are going to be limited to iPhone or 3G equipped iPads.

This is a great alternative for anyone wary of jailbreaking, or if you just don’t like the current tethered solutions. Found via MacStories

Posted by: Matt Chan in iPad, iPhone

1. biko says:

SBSettings is much better

2. cee202 says:

OMG, this is the like the best article you have ever posted. Navigating on the iPhone just became 100x faster!

3. Mira says:

Works great. For Apple to build this in iOS 5 means something………..

4. Tim says:

Before I get all into this, can someone please tell me if I’m doing this correctly, or even what it is I’m doing? I opted to choose “music volume,” it gave me an “install” option by “unsigned,” and I got a message saying “Installing this profile will change settings on your iPhone.” Is that normal? Exactly what will it do? Sorry, I’m new to this. I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5. Thanks.

• Nic says:

I have the same question as Tim, above. Also, is it reversible if I find out I don’t care for the icons?

• Alex Cubed says:

It’s entirely fine. It’s just to install the icons with the new, better method. All icons can be removed if you don’t like it.

• Crash says:

Tim, Nic, and Dan,
      “Installing this profile” = installing a configuration profile.

MacWorld explains configuration profiles
      –http://www.macworld.com/article/143088/2009/10/carriersettings.html

“…A configuration profile contains custom instructions for iPhone settings. When a configuration profile is installed, the iPhone’s settings are changed to match those of the profile. If you later uninstall the profile, settings revert to their prior state.

The main purpose of configuration profiles is to provide a convenient way to distribute custom settings to a group of users.

What makes the configuration profile technique especially attractive is how easy it is to undo. All you need to do is remove the Profile:

On your iPhone, go to Settings -> General -> Profiles -> name of Profile.
      From here, tap the Remove button. Your settings should now revert to their prior state…”

5. Tim says:

Okay, thanks!

6. J4CK says:

Cool! The screenshot is from an iPhone in South Africa!

7. Joe says:

installed the BT icon – looks better than any of the paid ones from App store and seems to work fine… WOW

8. Dan says:

How do you get rid of them? The X in the corner won’t appear for me.

• Catherine says:

I second this… I got all of them to go away except one, the x won’t appear in the corner. Seems like if you do this at least one of them isn’t deletable…?

9. Brian says:

Is this safe? I’m wary of having to supply my PIN and go through a third-party website for this to work.

10. anthony says:

how do i delete the WiFi icon? it doesn’t have a delete button…

11. A1 says:

Just so that everyone knows, this is broken in iOS 5.1. Shame

12. james porter says:

is there a plan to fix the issues with iOS 5.1?