Clear iMessage Chat History in Mac OS X
iMessage keeps track of chat history, providing you with a lengthy record of conversations in a scrollable chat log. Unlike iOS, there isn’t an in-app method to delete the chat history in OS X (yet), instead you will have to turn to the Finder or command line:
- Quit out of Messages for Mac
- Hit Command+Shift+G to bring up the “Go To Folder” window
- Enter ~/Library/Messages/
- Select all files in the Messages directory and move to trash, files will be named chat.db, chat.db-shm, chat.db-wal, etc
- Empty the Trash and relaunch iMessages
You can also do this through the command line. Quit out of iMessage and open Terminal, at the prompt type the following:
rm -r ~/Library/Messages/chat.*
Relaunch iMessages and to find an empty chat history.
Remember that iMessages for Mac is currently in beta, there will probably be an easier way to delete chat history in the final version when it ships this summer with OS X Mountain Lion.
Thanks for the tip Kevin!