Delete All .DS_Store Files from Mac OS X

Jul 5, 2012 - 15 Comments

DS_Store Files in Mac OS X

DS_Store files are hidden system files that reside within almost every folder of Mac OS X, they contain folder-specific information and settings, like what view to use, icon size, and other metadata pertaining to their directory. Though they’re invisible to the average user, if you’re sharing with a Windows PC or have hidden files shown in Finder you’ll see them in every folder, and if you’re trying to force a change like which view to use across all directories in Finder, you may discover the .DS_Store files are in the way.

The method described below will delete every single DS_Store file from a Mac OS X volume.

How to Delete All DS_Store Files from a Mac

1. Launch Terminal, found in /Applications/Utilities/
  2. Type the following command exactly:
  3. sudo find / -name ".DS_Store" -depth -exec rm {} \;

4. Enter the administrator password when asked – it won’t be visible when typing which is standard for the command line
  5. Let the command run, it will find all instances of .DS_Store and delete them

You can also go a step further and use a defaults write command to disable .DS_Store creation which can help to avoid clutter on networked drives.

If your annoyance with DS_Store stems from networking, you may notice that Windows PC’s have similar metadata files in all directories called “Thumbs.db“, those can also be removed separately by using Spotlight.

This is a handy tip from Adobe, of all places. Adobe also shows how to use crontab to schedule the deletion of .DS_Store files, but if you delete them once and disable their creation you shouldn’t need that functionality. Thanks for the tip idea Andy!

Posted by: William Pearson in Command Line, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. Pedro says:

An advice, copy-past the command line…

2. Alberto I says:

What is the meaning to delete these? They will be recreate after a restart or o relog, no?

3. Mark says:

Or just use dot_clean which was designed for this on the root of the drive.

4. Tony says:

This may seem like a silly question but I am a relatively new user to OSX and am wondering what the purpose would be in deleting these files other than some housekeeping which I am all for. Are there any performance benefits etc?

• Will says:

If you don’t have a compelling reason to delete these files (primarily, networking with a lot of Windows PC’s), you do not need to do so. There is no performance benefit and they are recreated by OS X to store preference information.

Definitely not necessary for 99% of users.

5. Bruno Gama says:

there’s no reason to do that, finder will recreate everything.

but, if you are justifying to delete ds_store because the windows sharing, erase all files from your local user (~ instead /) or the shared folders in the network.

you could even create a cron or launchd task to do the job.

6. Chris says:

You might also want to do this for ._.DS_Store files as well (I’ve noticed a lot of these on network drives).

Find also runs a lot faster if you allow its exec routine to group multiple files into the same command with \+ instead of \; E.g.

find / \( -name .DS_Store -o -name ._.DS_Store \) -exec rm -f {} \+

The -depth flag is unnecessary in this use case.

7. Jeff says:

There’s an app for that: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ds-store-remover/id476237254?mt=12
    (free on the mac app store)

I wouldn’t recommend non technical people to execute:
    sudo find / -name “.DS_Store” -depth -exec rm {} \;
    It is asking for trouble…

8. Lauri Ranta says:

As Chris said, the -depth option isn’t needed.

OS X’s find also has a -delete flag:

sudo find / -name .DS_Store -delete

> An advice, copy-past the command line…
    > I typed it myself and forgot the -name and now everything got deleted………… my god :X

This should be repeated, don’t forget the -name flag.

9. Pedro says:

Toke me some time but now all is restored ehhe
    Good think i noiticed what was happening fast xD

10. James Ludtke says:

I some times zip folders for transmission to Windows users. How can I delete the .DS file in just that folder before zipping it. I suppose that if I do not change any windows setting before zipping, the.DS file is not recreated in that folder.

11. mikey says:

Do NOT delete these if you are just using your OS X system, or shares on your network. (You can delete them, if they are only held on a non-OS X system, eg. Win.)

a) They actually do a job.
    While it’s an *aspiration* that Apple use “extended file attributes” for these current per-folder settings; they are NOT yet! Hence Finder needs these files to keep Spotlight data and all your other folder settings you have set as a user yourself, actually working.

b) They get re-created anyway by Finder/PathFinder.

c) They are harmless.
    And while they seem like cruft, they’re not on OS X: they do a job.
    They do not override folder specific settings, unless you *specifically ask them to* by using OS X’s GUI (or command line) to do so.

12. Vlad Didenko says:

You may want to explain your users when to use the -x option. Otherwise scanning mounted shares may take forever.

13. MisterSoushi says:

I put the code in and the password came out and I can’t type my password or any other letters. All I can do is press the enter button and that didn’t help at all.