How to Enable & Use the Virtual Keyboard in Mac OS X

Jun 21, 2013 - 10 Comments

The Virtual Keyboard feature of OS X is exactly what it sounds like, it’s a software-based keyboard that can be used as an auxiliary onscreen keyboard to type anything on a Mac. These virtual keys are pressable by clicking on them with a cursor, rather than tapping the physical keys on a hardware keyboard.

Virtual Keyboard in Mac OS X

Enabling this screen keyboard is a little hidden away in system preferences, but it’s very easy to show, hide, and use, once it has been made accessible:

• Open System Preferences and go to “Keyboard”, and look under the “Keyboard” tab
  • Check the box next to “Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar”
  • Enable the virtual keyboard input in Mac OS X

• Pull down the newly visible Keyboard menu and choose “Show Keyboard Viewer”
  • Show the virtual keyboard on a Mac

• Place the keyboard on screen in the desired location, and resize the newly visible keyboard as necessary by dragging the corners

The Mac Virtual Keyboard

This onscreen keyboard can input text anywhere, so not only can it be used for standard typing but it can be used for entering passwords, and even key presses for games and other apps. It will also always hover atop of existing windows or screen content, and in a lot of ways it’s like the software keyboards on iOS devices, minus the touch screen of course, but it is equally as universally applicable across everything on the Mac.

Closing out the screen keyboard must be done by clicking the actual close button on the keyboard window itself, or by going back to the keyboard menu and choosing “Hide Keyboard Viewer”. It is intentionally unresponsive to the normal Command+W close window keyboard shortcut.

Virtual keyboards are primarily aimed at providing a typing solution for those who find it easier to use a cursor than keyboard and it does wonders for that, but it can serve other purposes too. It’s wildly useful if you wind up in a situation where the hardware keyboard on a Mac suddenly stops working, be it from water damage or otherwise, especially when the liquid exposure tricks didn’t work out. And, as an educator recently showed me, it can function as an incredibly helpful tool to learn touch-typing, particularly for those who are learning to type without looking at their fingers (cardboard box over the hands and all!), because the keys being pressed show as such on screen. Yes there are apps out there that serve the same function, but this is already built into Mac OS X, which makes it an excellent immediately usable solution that doesn’t require downloads or purchases.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Samresh says:

Hi i did as suggested, but the keyboard option deselects itself. Help!!

2. maria says:

it secure ?

3. James says:

There are other reasons someone might want to use the virtual keyboard. Need a hint?

4. sammi says:

I LOVE this tip!! I have physical disability problems, esp spine and shoulders. Sitting near enough to use the connected keyboard isn’t easy. I could get wireless but those are the least ergonomic of all keyboards out there (mac I mean). Too small, have to warp your wrists into bad angles. Not good. There wasn’t another full size wireless other than MS and man… that thing was fugly. Clunky and not good either. THIS is wicked good!!

And “James” – sure sure… we all know how some random hacker can remotely screw with the keyboard but I could also get hit with a flying goose – it DID happen to Fabio after all. Life is full of chances James… can’t live in mom’s basement forever.

5. Trecman says:

I’ve been looking for hours for a simple list of key combinations used to do simple tasks, like copy or paste using the on-screen virtual keyboard. My problem is I can’t figure out how to keep the Apple Key held down while clicking on the C key to copy something and then paste to another document. My question is this; how do we get the virtual keyboard to hold down the Apple key or another function key and allow us to hit second key to perform a simple task like copy, or paste the clipboard? If you could please share the URL address of a site that has this information we would ALL greatly appreciate it. TYMV

6. Victor Strawn says:

Paul Horowitz, you are my savior!
    Thank you so much!!!
    My kid spilled his drink, ruining my keyboard.
    I needed to be able to use the computer and could not wait for the new one to be shipped.
    Your article saved me.
    Thank you so much!!!

7. amber says:

Is there a way to pull it up on the log-in screen? I spilled water on my keyboard and need to access a user with a password.

8. Dosha says:

Hi, I had the virtual keyboard set up earlier and had to close it because it wasn’t going away off the top of a video even when I clicked on the video (not the keyboard). Clicking elsewhere on the screen had made the keyboard disappear in the past, but somehow not that time. Now, I can’t get it back. The box is checked that says that the keyboard viewer is showing in System Preferences, but there is no icon on the menu bar to click on. I have deselected that check box and reselected it many times and no icon appears.

I hope you can help me figure out how to get it back!

9. Ben says:

@Trecman: It’s probably too late for you, but you set “Enable Sticky Keys” in the Accessibility settings under “Keyboard” to make Modifier-keys like the Apple-key stick.

10. Daniel says:

But what about multilingual virtual keyboard on Mac OS X?