What To Do If You Can Not Remember an Apple ID or Password

Dec 23, 2014 - 166 Comments

What to do if you Forgot an Apple ID

Forgetting the login and password to an Apple ID is not the best feeling in the world, particularly given how integral an Apple login is to the broader iOS and OS X experience. So, if you or someone else happens to forget an Apple ID or the password to an Apple account, what should you do? First, don’t freak out, we’re human and this stuff happens. Apple provides multiple ways to recover a forgotten ID login or password, and you can start the recovery process either directly on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Mac, Windows PC, or just about anything with a web browser.

The different processes described below will work to recover a forgotten Apple ID (meaning the email address used to login), and/or reset a forgotten Apple ID password. This can be particularly helpful if you’re setting up a new device for yourself or someone else, switching a device to a credit card-free ID, or changing the Apple ID associated with a device, and you can’t remember the pertinent login information, or if your email changed at some point and you didn’t update your Apple details to go along with it.

Before anything else, know that you can always contact Apple support directly here if you want assistance through official channels to regain account access, which may be the best option for users who are overwhelmed or confused.

Recover or Reset Forgotten Apple ID or Password on iPhone & iPad

This is all done on an iOS device and is often the simplest way to log back into an Apple account:

1. Open the Settings app and scroll down and tap on “iCloud”
  2. Tap on the email address at the very top of the iCloud settings screen
  3. Tap on the blue text underneath the password entry that says “Forgot Apple ID or Password?” where you’ll have two choices:
    • If you know your Apple ID and don’t remember the password, type in your email address and click “Next” to start the reset process
    • If you don’t know your Apple ID, tap on “Forgot your Apple ID?” and fill out your full name and email address to recover the Apple ID login (yes, you can then do the password reset after you have the Apple ID)
  4. Answer the security questions pertaining to that Apple ID, and follow the onscreen directions to complete the process

At this point you should be good to go, you can reset the password for the account and then login as usual.

What if this doesn’t work, or what if it doesn’t find your Apple ID? You can try one of the next two options:

Find a Forgotten Apple ID by Email or Old Email Address

This is a more advanced trick to search multiple email addresses, which is incredibly helpful if you switched email accounts at some point in time and that’s what has caused the login problem. This can be done with any web browser in iOS, OS X, or Windows:

1. Open the web browser of choice and go to this Apple iForgot website (creative name, eh?)
  2. Enter the first and last name associated with the Apple ID, your current email address, and any and all prior email addresses to start the reset process
  3. Answer the security questions associated with the user to complete the reset process

This will help to find the Apple ID, but if you can’t recall the password to that ID then you’d need to go to the next step as well.

Reset an Apple ID Password from the Web

You can also start the password reset process from the official Apple ID website, this also can be done any device as long as you have a web browser:

1. Go to this Apple ID site and under “Manage your Apple ID” choose the “Reset your password” option
  2. Enter the email address associated with the account and answer the security questions as usual to complete the password reset process

Finally, if you’re completely stuck, you’re annoyed, confused, or none of the above has worked, you can contact Apple directly about your account and in many situations they can help you to regain access again.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Mac OS X, Troubleshooting

1. Noah says:

Okay, but what about this situation:

My old email address went defunct, so I changed the email address for my AppleID. It’s the same AppleID, just associated with a new address.

However, at the time, I didn’t update anything on our iPad, which we don’t use much. Now, I want to use the iPad. However, to re-set the iPad, I have to login with my old email address and password. It won’t let me re-set it without logging in with that specific email address. But that’s NOT POSSIBLE, since Apple no longer recognizes my old email address. What do I do???

• Jon Abierto says:

I had a similar situation when I changed email addresses (by the way, go with something like Gmail and you can hopefully keep that email forever).

So here’s what to do: You log in to your Apple account with the old email address, and change the email on file to the NEW email address. Confirm the change with the email sent to your inbox, and then you’re good to go.

This is a pretty common situation, but if you don’t have access to the old email account any more you may find it easier to contact the Apple Genius Bar Support call center (1-800-SOS-APPLE is phone number I always use) and have them do it for you, you will need to provide a fair amount of verification details – which is good – but I’m sure they can remove the old email from your account for you if you are unable to access it because it was deleted by the ISP or something.

I think if Apple allowed us to merge ID and accounts this would be less of an issue, personally.

• Jon Abierto says:

Oh by the way, you can log out of the old account this way:

iOS icons > Settings > iCloud > Sign Out

• Noah says:

Your suggestion doesn’t work. My new email address is associated with the same Apple account as my old address was. As a result, it’s impossible to log in with my old address.

I’m aware of the genius bar option, but we don’t use the ipad enough to justify paying for it. The result is that I’m using the ipad without access to our apple account, which is fine for most things. (We have a computer, so we can still update apps and do other things like that.) Apple mainly loses out on purchases we might make on the iPad. But it’s annoying.

• il signorino says:

Noah, what you actually need to do is to log into the Apple ID site with your current ID details (The current address and password). You then Edit the main address associated to the ID and register the old one -this might seem counterproductive but it’s actually what will allow you to sign out of iCloud on the iPad. Once you’ve edited the main address back to the one you used to have registered for the ID you go to the iPad, log out of iCloud and voila!

After this you can edit the main address on the ID, from the Apple ID site, to be the one you currently use for email communications.

AND, for future reference, before editing the address registered on your ID, follow the steps on this article [Step 1 being the most important]

• Narwale says:

Well I will sign into my iTunes and then take the charger and when I plug it into the coumpter iTunes will pop up and say that it requires a your passcode to be enterd in order for it to work. The hole point of this is that I FORGOT MY PASSCODE AND IT STILL WANTS ME TO ENTER IT!!!! How do I get the thing to let me just recover my passcode without it making me enter my passcode because I FORGOT IT!!!!?????????

• Dr4gonkiller96 says:

im kind of in the same boat. my mums ipad just came up with an activation Lock and it requires to put in my mums old appleid that the Email is broken (tadaust is no longer in business) and we forgot the Password because well they forget a lot of passwords so we decided to use security questions and it was Date Of Birth, GUESS WHAT, we put in all our birthdates and my mums mum, even our birds and nothing. so the only way was to connect it to itunes but is asking for a passcode which we dont anything about, and because you need to log into the old AppleID the one that is broken well, we cant sell it. so the only way is either Update the device hopefully fixes it if not RESET RESET RESET, bye bye photos bye bye apps, bye bye everything just because TADAUST closed down and APPLE being a ***** with the security question and my sister the one who setted it up not remembering what she did. so we are screwed but hey who cares it isnt my ipad.

2. Robby Smyth says:

Question:

If someone hasn’t set up iCloud, I assume that the directions on recovering an iPhone or iPad password won’t work.

Is that right?

If so, what should one do instead?

• nt says:

Choose to create a new Apple ID if you don’t have one yet, it’s in the same iCloud Settings panel if there is no account logged in. You can make one on the Apple ID website too.

• Iphone issue says:

I found my old iPhone 4 and cant remember the password to get into the phone or any of the I cloud stuff or anything and I have no idea what to do

3. Rafagon says:

This was a great article. This is definitely the right thing to do. Not write an ominously titled article (like Owen Williams from The Next Web did) complaining because the technology works as it should —

• Tony Visconti says:

” This is definitely the right thing to do. Not write an ominously titled article (like Owen Williams from The Next Web did) complaining because the technology works as it should —”

No, it *does not* work ‘as it should’. It is supposed to lock out the data thief. Not the OWNER.

4. John says:

I set up 2 step verification with one of my Apple IDs. I had gotten rid of the cellphone and got a new number. Now I can’t get into that ID at all, especially the cell phone number. Tried to use the recovery key, but it did not work. Reported to Apple, they apparently tried a couple things, they elevated it, but now is a case forgot about now. Still would like to fix tis because I a number of Apps I have purchased on that ID….suggestions?

5. John says:

6. Bob says:

Please don’t go into an Apple store for appleID issues. They’ll take you through the self recovery steps. If Apple has to intervene the store will refer you to call applecare. If you call be sure to have your credit card (if on file with them for itunes), Macintosh or iOS device serial numbers, and the answers to your security questions. If they can verify 2 of these points of info they can get you access again. If not there is not a thing they can do for you, per their privacy agreements and appleID terms or service.

• Keshaw says:

How about recovering the iCloud by his past number used and some of the call details.. The imei have the detail of it… If one forget the secret answer then there should me some option for the person or else what is the use of Apple mobile.. Paying for $400 to $700 Is worthless.. You should help yours Apple customer…

7. Ashley Russel says:

so my wifi has been greyed out lately and cannot reach any internet connections, i went to this store that fixes phones and told me it has to do with my icloud, and i forgot the password to my icloud and can no longer sign out, i dont know how it has to do with the icloud but the wifi button will not slide to green but stays grey, any suggestions on this one?

8. Kevin Mitchell says:

• Bruce Webb says:

“Is there away to wipe it clean of anything associated with the previous owners??”

Short answer: “No”. Long answer you would need original receipts from the store that sold it new or death certificates from the previous owner. Basically Apple realized that there was a huge market in iPhones stolen from clue-less people walking through urban areas checking their messages and decided to clamp down.

If you buy an iPhone used there are ways to check to see if it is “Activation Locked”. Do so BEFORE you leave the pawn shop. Or be prepard to admire your high-tech brick. Because the people in online support or at the Apple Store have NO powers to make this right. They can only ‘escalate’ it to hard nosed people in Account Security who have heard every sad story in the books.

9. lakshmanan says:

thank you.

10. Amanda says:

I recently bought an ipod from a pawn shop and they said it was reset to factory settings but when I got home an tried to activate it,it asking for the id and password of the previous owners. Is there away to wipe it clean of anything associated with the previous owners?? Help – See more at: http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/23/forgot-apple-id-password-reset-recover/

11. Jen Cariaga says:

I forgot the password on my screen lock..after that I restore my iPhone apparently I don’t remember my apple I’d password I had 2 apple I’d the first apple I’d I used once I bought my iPhone but I didn’t verify so I used another Apple I’d.but when I got restore my iPhone they asking for my list apple I’d but I can’t remember anything wat should I do..my account is lock

12. mean says:

hi. my friend gave me his Ipad4. when i got home it was asking for another set up and needs the password of the previous owner. my friend already left and went to Italy to work. I dont know his contact number there. Please help. Thank you

13. Amy says:

I got an iPhone because my friend gave it to me and i don’t know the password I asked her and she forgot it

14. Naji says:

My children play with my iPhone 5s they want download some games without knowing with my phone the delegate her password unfortunately my wife she did not save the password so please we need help

15. omid says:

Hey Everybody… I forgot my apple id email after reset my ipad. My ipad want my email and password I still remember my password but dont remember my apple id email. What should I do?

16. Elsy says:

No one has answered the question about how to reset if the Apple ID wasnt yours and you cant get it from abyone. Ie the pawn shop purchase ir the friend that went to Italy. I am in a similar situation. I bought an iPhone off ebay that is connected to an Apple ID. I have tried to contact the guy bur no response yet. I know i can get ebay involved an would eventually be refunded but I really needes this phone activates by tomorrow and sont have the time to mess with all that. Is it possible, can I reset to factory settings when I cant even get i to settings?

Someone please respond (if u have helpful info)!

17. LeAshq says:

I Lost My IPhone Then Found It But It Is Disabled And I Don’t Remember My Icloud Information . What Should I Do ?

18. Samantha says:

well i have a problem that i still cant figure out i forgot my icloud account on my phone and well i thought resetting the phone it would delete it but now that i did it didnt delete it and its not even letting me do nothing on my phone because i first have to log in ….

but i dont rember my password or the username n when i put restart my password i dont remeber the email that i connected with that account n ethier the questions

What Can I do?

• Casey Jones says:

Well Samantha, the first thing you should do is read the article about what to do if you can’t remember your password or the username of your Apple ID, it’s right here: http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/23/forgot-apple-id-password-reset-recover/

This tells you what to do, exactly, when you can’t remember your password or the username. So that’s what you should do, because that is how you will get back onto your Apple ID. Or make a new Apple ID and use that one on your iPhone, whatever. And don’t have so many typos.

19. Sash says:

Hi , i need a little help, i have forgotten my apple ID password like a moron and i have tried a few things that have come up online but now i am just comfused. Does anyone know what there doing 😂. Any help please?

20. Fancy says:

i changed my apple id at night and the following morning i totally forgot the password so i decided to restore then i realized i had a security thing of find my ipad which i aint quite sure of the username nor the password. Ive been trying to get verification details through my recovery email bt no message has come through now my account is locked. What can i do given that am in Kenya?

• teom says:

Check your spam folder sometimes the reset messages get stuck in there, the only option is to reset the password through the official protocol from Apple. You may also contact Apple directly at their support line or Apple Support https://www.apple.com/support/

21. Shelby says:

I had to restore my phone and I have to activate my phone by signing into my apple ID i had to reset my password at first and i did that and i still wont let me onto it ive also made new accounts and it wont let me get on those either i honestly dont know what else to do

22. myra newman says:

I am looking to remove 5c from icloud account…is registered to old email account that i no longer have access to…how can i reset without access to email..help pls

23. Dave says:

Can anyone tell me why is it that when my wife resets her password using her own apple id(her own email address) the related emails come to me..my Apple ID and email are entirely different from hers. When we then go into her account all her details (ie her own I’d and email address) are correct..so why and how would anything like this come to me. Also if I log into iTunes on my iPad using My own I’d and email address ( totally different from my wife’s) I see all her apps in with my own apps. Am confused how all this could happen.

24. jorge says:

I need help I bought a iPhone but I didn’t have a iTunes so I asked a friend if he can log into his so I can access my iPhone but months later I forgot my password so I had reset it but when I try to put in my new iTunes account it says I need the original iTunes but I don’t know it and I don’t talk to that friend anymore so what my question is what can I do can someone help me please

25. Kami says:

We have an iPhone 5c at the company I work for. I ordered it from AT&T, my name is on the AT&T business account. The lady who was using it was let go. Now trying to transfer the phone to another colleague. Didn’t have the Apple ID password and am trying to avoid having to contact someone whose job was terminated. I tried to recover the password by having an email sent to her account (which we have access to and which is also the email associated with her Apple id) but the email isn’t going through. Tried 4 times to recover by email to no avail. Checked spam/junk folders and there’s nothing there. Then made the mistake of trying to do a restore through iTunes. Now I can’t even get into the phone. The first page says “Hola” as if it were a brand new phone, then swipe and it asks for the Apple ID password associated with that email account and now I can’t get past that screen to get to the home screen. So frustrating!

26. Aalif says:

hi… my problem is that of my friend gave me his ipad as a gift so i just rest and updated it after that my ipad is requesting me for the Id and password which is actually my friends so i asked him he said he don’t remember anything so in this case what should I do?? Can anyone please help me???

27. Malik says:

I have iPad mini pay it from my casen he forgot iCloud account and can’t remember any theing about it.
    Can you please help??

28. shailesh says:

I changed my email add since then I can not activate. i dont remember user & password. Kindly advise on urgent basis because the product is very handy.

29. derek says:

well i have a question.
    i was wondering how you unlock your iphone after it has been disable and unlocked again.
    i bought an iphone not to long ago and when i went to set it up, it told me to connect to itune.
    i did it and i HAD to use the account it was activated to.
    well i dont know that account.
    i just bought the phone on ebay.
    how do i fix the phone?

30. Nur Shafirah Airis says:

I Not Remember Pasword And Id Apple So Can Format For Me Id Apple ?

31. Duncan says:

I am having the problem of certain Aps not opening on my phone. One of the suggestions is to sign out of Ap store and sign back in. Whoops! No idea what my Apple ID is and now cannot sign back in.

I don’t have email set up on my phone. How do I retrieve a forgotten Apple ID?

32. eyrun says:

what about if i can´t get the security questions right even tho i know them. i made this three years ago and i have changed it since then because i couldn´t remember what it was but my ipad still wants me to sign into the first account i made. they said they could change it if i pay a lot of money and show the pay check wich is stupid since like i said i got it three years ago and also as a gift. what can i do to get into my ipad, i dont care if all the pictures and everything goes away i just want to get into it so i can take it with me to the trip i´m going to and not be bored to death on the way there.

33. Trista says:

Hi, I went to a moving sale and was given the owners old iPhone for free, I didn’t know I had to know her apple ID until I got the phone charged, this is the first time I’ve ever used a iPhone so I had no idea. I went back to see if I could get her to fix the apple ID so then I could activate the phone but they had already left the house and been moved out. I’m not sure now how to get into the phone cause I have no idea the log in or password, is there anything I can do?.

• bae says:

You need the valid Apple ID to bypass iCloud activation lock, without the valid Apple ID it can not be bypassed except by Apple. Contact the prior owner if you bought it or was given to you, they will have the Apple ID if you do not.

34. Rowen Twawanda says:

Hello good people need some help,l bought an iphone from the owner and he removed everything of his from the phone,I set up the phone with my Apple ID which l created,went to a Internet cafe to load some music from a desk top computer,I connected my iphone to the computer and it asked me to authorize the TRANSFERE of information from the computer to the iphone since l wanted music from the computer l accepted to authorize but to my surprise all my information disappeared and my iCloud account was different lost my important stuff in my iCloud,now my phone has got some stuff l don’t know and someone iCloud account came into my phone,I can’t log out of that iCloud account to add mine,what do l do am stressed to the born this is my first iphone was using android so changed to iphone, l contacted the previous owner and he was also surprised as the Apple ID which came into my phone wasn’t his,and given the fact that he gave me the phone as new without any information in it please help.

35. Brenda says:

I restarted my iPod because they took it away at my school and I forgot my passcode so now to get into my iPod I have to put an old Apple ID that I forgot and it won’t let me in at all it doesn’t even give me any options

36. Martha says:

I am super frustrated and very confused! I just got this iPhone 6 from my a friend who had already put an ICloud ID. When I got the phone, I immediately set a new Apple ID. When I went on to try to sign out of the old ICloud account, a password was required and my friend doesn’t remember the password!! I have tried the many suggested ways but when I try to turn off find my phone, I can’t!! I have tried to call the help line but I cant! I am on the verge of tears! Please help

37. Hani says:

Hi,my iphone6 got stuck and I had to send it back to Dubai to fix it,but I don’t remember any of my apple details.since it has iCloud I need to release it for maintaining.i tried to find my Apple ID from Apple web but I couldn’t.pls help me to find my ID

38. Ericka says:

Hi. My father bought me an iPad mini. He was the one who created the Apple ID. The problem is, he forgot the password. When I’m about to download apps, it says that I should sign in the apple id.. We went to a gadget store and ask the technician there how to recover the apple id. He said that we can’t change the password because it won’t work so we shoud remember what’s the first password. Is it possible to create a new apple id to use the ipad?

39. Maila says:

I want to restore my ipad but i can’t do that without entering my icloud password which i forgot and i no longer have access to my old email so i can’t reset the password. I tried the recovery option using the security questions but apparently i forgot the answer to one of them…. and now im locked out of my account for 8 hours for entering the wrong answer way too many times…. is there any other option i can try ?

40. Asif says:

I can’t reset my Apple ID because I cant remember my security question and I can’t reset with email

41. Ellen says:

kk. So I made an email as soon as I got home when I got my iPhone 5s. then after a few months I changed it to my current email. before I switched accounts I set up Find My iPhone with the old account. I later forgot my passcode and had to restore my iPhone 5s. I’ve tried changing it on manage my id but my email is owned by Apple (c******@icloud.com). I don’t remember my rescue email with that account and my security questions say my answers are incorrect. What should I do.

(iPhone 5s, ios 8.1.2)

42. Michael says:

Hey can someone help me plz… I bought an iPhone 4s… Waisted my whole money on it…its brand new but the original owner used it once and he forgot his Apple ID password… what can I do and I want to reset it but stills asks for id password. I need help :,(

43. pintu says:

i can not remember apple id and password of my iphone 4s.what can i do now?

44. nitesh says:

hey sir
    my child reset my i phone
    so my iphone is locked
    i forget my iphone id and my other id
    what can i do

45. sam says:

Hey I have got second hand iphone 5c from one shop and he dosent remember the id or the password so I am nt able to log into the phone so can anyone help me with that. And its “find my phone is on”. So can anyone plz suggest me what to do. Thanks in advance.

• Birther says:

I forgot my Apple ID, I reset it and recovered it through email as described on this web page. It works great.

But Sam, no wonder your Apple ID doesn’t work, you can barely type a word without misspelling it! You should enable spell check, your typing is illegible and full of errors and you have to enter a proper password to work with the Apple ID, that’s probably why when you enter your Apple ID and password it’s not working with the iPhone 5C. You have to enter your password without typos! The good news is once you figure out how to type the words without the spelling errors, you can learn what to do if you can’t remember your password and Apple ID by reading this article

That is what I did, and it works for me and everyone else here!

Remember, enter your name and password properly or it won’t work like you describe!

46. Aman Singh says:

hiii… my problem is that of my friend gave me his iphone 4s as a gift..so Then i made the mistake of trying to do a restore through iTunes. Now I can’t even get into the phone. The first page says “Hola” as if it were a brand new phone, then swipe and it asks for the Apple ID password associated with my friend’s email account so i asked him he said he don’t remember anything so in this case what should I do?

47. Mary spagnuolo says:

I forgot my id & password

48. David says:

I can’t access my old email or Apple id, I don’t remember the password, the email I used is no longer active, so how do I change Apple id, I have my iPad for about 4 years and it now needs cleaned out as it is becoming very unstable, I can’t either remember the security questions so what can I do, I have tried everything but it seems to send the email to my old email address, very annoyed

49. rohit says:

my phone take a lock

50. Caroline says:

Here’s my problem, I don’t want to reset my password. I just need to find out what it is.

51. Emy says:

I am freaking out,I just update my iphone 5s to ios 9 today morning and after some process my phone got stuck on slide to upgrade .so I took my phone to apple store they fix it but the wasn’t ended I forgot my Apple ID I think I wrote correct Apple ID .my phone was asking Apple ID and password but when I type it reject it ,I don’t know what shall I do ,I am searching solution in various website I don’t know what to do…I think I have only one choice to throw my iphone

52. Jenny says:

We have 5 phones on our account. My daughter received a message from apple that her email was jeopardized and she was locked out. She contacted Apple and they sent a recovery email to her old email (from 5 years ago) and she doesn’t have access to that anymore. They asked her the answers to her security questions but nothing she said was correct. We think that part got hacked too. Apple has not been able to help her. Question is if I have receipts for purchase and she has her ID why can they not restore it and issue her a new Apple ID? I know she will lose all her purchases but we aren’t sure what to do from this point.

53. Tonygman08 says:

My Apple Ipad 2 was sent to me by my Big Brother in London; whom said that he bought it a second_hand….. I couldn’t complete the set up of the phone because its requesting for an Apple ID which neither I nor my Big brother knows.

54. Muneeb says:

I have similar problem, forgot the iCloud password and don’t remeber the security questions, the advantage i have is that my itunes ID and iCloud ID are different and i can use the phone normally, i just can’t sell, replace or restore it, as it tequires find my iphone to be turned off, is there anyway to turn off find my iphone if i can’t reset the password? The iCloud ID is @iCloud domain and there is no email associated with that ID so can’t get the reaet email either. A part from iCloud feature, all oother features are working perfectly fine. Any help please?

55. Bill says:

I forgot my password, but I do not want to reset it. Is there any way to recover- NOT reset- my password?

56. daniel says:

i forgot my old apple id to activate my ipod. my old email doesnt work anymore and prior email doesnt seem to work

57. Antoinette says:

My friend used his Apple ID and password to download whatsapp on my phone. But he forgot the password and also, his email address don’t open again. Now I need to update the app but all effort using my own id didnt work

58. Antoinette says:

Want to use my new id since I can’t remember anything about the old one. Pls help me

59. Khalid says:

Forget Apple id and password

60. Khalid says:

I need new apple idea

61. Caitlin says:

So my phone decided to factory reset itself and so when I went to type in my apple ID and realized I forgot it. But I remember the password. i tried the whole find my apple ID thing and the email address and well any email address that I could remember being connected with my icloud account didn’t work so I don’t know what to do.

62. brianna says:

my phone broke and got fix and now its asking for my apple id and i forgot it how can i get my apple id back need help please

63. Debra Obrien says:

I have reset my old password but the unlock find my iPhone won’t turn off because it keeps referring back to a old email which I no longer have passwords to…I changed my password but it won’t change it when I try to turn off app!

64. Mohammad Nazim says:

I Forget Apple id and password.plz reply me @ mail.

65. John lee says:

Hi, I’ve just brought a iPad 2 from an old girl bless her, but she has no clue of the email address or pass word or security question, all she can remember is she got it from Vodafone …. Please help as I want it for my son for xmas

66. Raees waseem says:

hiii… my problem is that of my friend gave me his iphone 5s as a gift..so Then i made the mistake of trying to do a restore through iTunes. Now I can’t even get into the phone. The first page says “Hola” as if it were a brand new phone, then swipe and it asks for the Apple ID or password associated with my friend’s email account so i asked him he said he don’t remember anything so in this case what should I do? –

67. Anita says:

1. Like many, I do not want to reset my password. So I was excited to see your subhead above, “Recover or Reset Forgotten AppleID or Password on iPhone & iPad.” That’s misleading. Apple won’t let us *recover* our password. (I haven’t forgotten my password, but sometimes Apple won’t accept it.)

2. PLEASE provide a way for us to combine two AppleIDs. I created one to download iTunes when I used a PC and no Apple devices. Several years later, I rejoined the Mac world (yay) and got an AppleID associated with my @me.com email address–a second AppleID. I had no idea how much trouble that would cause. I know both IDs and passwords; I just want to combine them. Why not?

68. oSCAR says:

thank you. but how about this?
    I created an apple id and gave my email address wrong. and i forgot the password of this apple id. I created a new one but i cannot delete this apple id. whenever i try the recovery option goes to this unknown e-mail

69. Rian says:

My dad forgot his password to his phone. And he does t know any of his Apple id information. He is trying to remember his stuff. But he can’t. Can someone please help me???? 😞

70. sujan panta says:

what should I do.. when I forgotten both apple Id and passport… where I already reset my I phone.

71. I ked apple says:

I got given an iphone from my sister in law, it was her sons, and he used all fake, made up information.. (They lie to us, so we lie to them in return) and hence forgot it.. he could not get back in, neither could she, and they just gave up and gave the phone to me..

I have resorted to changing imei numbers in a country where this is NOT illegal, and voila, I used a stolen iphone imei that had no ‘find my iphone’ enabled, put this into the locked one, did a full restore, and voila!!

Just ordered one o thenm imei changer’s a@ 6 grand a pop, and by charging just 5 quid per imei change, I have succesfully brougt back to life, over 150 stolen iphones, not to help crooks, but to help the planet by recycling what would only end up in the tip anyway..

72. Aliceconnors says:

I forgot my password off my iCloud

73. Cathy Smith says:

I spent hours online with tech support and we had a bit of problem understanding one another… however my spelling out the words solved the comunication problem…. Just couldn’t solve how to recover a password from years ago when I used Apple products. After this frustrating ordeal I logged off.

Logged on again this evening and found a website that made more sense to me and was able to get the ancient password reset.

Tomorrow I will attempt to update the obsolete, inactive password.

…. I’ve told my husband if he buys one more Apple product, it’s going right back.

74. natheesh says:

I forget my apple id an password!

75. Vernan Franklin aloysius says:

Pls be kind enough to help me get my Apple ID password
    Thanks.

76. Juliet brown says:

I need anew apple ID and Password

77. jidith says:

hi can u please help me to activate my ipad4 what can i do if i forget the apple id and the password that i used first and the security question please help me if there is a oanother way to activate my ipad

78. mafe revidad gacusan says:

i give up to this iphone i can’t fix it!

79. Kaylee says:

I got an iPhone off of someone and it looks like it was reset but when I go to start making it my own it tell me that it was lost and I have to enter in the Apple ID the phone was originally created with. I’ve tried to contact the person I originally got it off of, but I’ve had no luck. Is there anything I can do? Or is the phone basically garbage

80. Steven says:

so I factory reset my mom’s old iPhone 4 for my own use, after doing so while setting up the phone it asks of the apple id used for setting up the phone, I don’t remember nor does my mom.

81. Camella Melarion says:

Hello,,after i finished to update my ipad i need to activate first but i forgot my email and password.so that i cant open my ipad becoz i need to set up first.what will i do???and i cant open my settings too.

82. Joy Lekwa says:

I just finished updating my iphone 5c. Now I have to login in with my apple id and password. I have forgotten both. I have never used the computer or icloud to my knowledge with this phone. How do I unlock it? How do I retrieve a forgotten email/password with out icloud or iTunes?

83. mel says:

I have recently brought a ipad online and I contacted the seller because I couldn’t reset it as someones icloud password is needed, the seller told me the person he brought it off forget their passwords and that so what am I to do? do I contact apple for help or take it into a shop?

84. Muhammad Ameen says:

I bought a second hand ipad and he didnt sign out from his apple id and right now my ipad is locked as i dont have any details of the seller what do i do

85. muhire aimable says:

hey guys,
    i have a problem on my ipad i bought it to someones but he did not tell me its icloud then when am opening it its asked me to set the icloud so i do not know what to do, could you pls help me friends, thank you.

86. mary rose salinas says:

pleased help me..i forgot my apple i.d @ may password… my ipad buy my boss for me,, then he forget also her email address…pls help me to recover my apple id @ my pasword thank you

87. Zoey says:

My Ipad is disabled for 23,000,000 minutes and i need to restore it, but its been a while since it was first locked and i cant remeber my apple ID or my passwords or my email. How do i restore it?

88. Aayush says:

What if we purchase the ipad 2nd hand , and the person have forgot the id and pass and he cannot be contacted. Complete reset is also fine by me . Kindly suggest a solution.

89. Glen says:

I buy iPhone 4s w/my friends and it needs Apple ID and password..pls help

90. bernard says:

i bought a 2nd had and the person i bought it from cannot be contacted. can i do a complete reset?

91. Junior says:

Hi,
    I just got a new MacBook Pro. I transferred my past purchases to the new computer, and some of them won’t play. The issue I have is that the ones that won’t play were authorized on a computer that I no longer own (2 laptops ago) with an email address that no longer exists (@mac.com). I have no idea how to log in to this old Apple ID. This is really frustrating considering i paid for the songs and they worked on my old laptop (one laptop newer than the one they were originally purchased on). I’m wondering if they worked on the old laptop because I did something to authorize the old old laptop on there… but that would have been 6+ years ago and honestly I have no idea what I did.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

92. masudrana says:

my I phone reset but I don’t icloud look plase help. my phone not run. what.help help.

93. Sathyavel says:

I have iPhone 5c I forget my Apple ID and password how can login my phone after switch off and try to open it does not open can you help me how can active my phone it’s on find my phone but problem my mail id am forget

94. Ankush says:

I have iPhone 4s i reset my phone when I start my phone and he asking for old I’d or password but I don’t no so how I start my iPhone please reply

95. Sophie says:

Its rubbish. Not working at all. Tried it 10 times now. Starting to lose my patcient with apple

96. Julie2588 says:

I once have met this situation. It’s been a tough process. It seems that you need to appeal to Apple, and then wait patiently for their reply. No way.

97. Novem says:

My iphone5 turned off then when i switched it off it’s like it resetted and asked for apple id and password but i forgot it both.what can I do?

98. ramees says:

i have iphone 5s
    its saying that apple id & pass but idk that i idk my email addreess so how can i recover my phone

99. Varun says:

I forget the Apple id and password, but this fixed my problem and I was able to reset it. Thanks!

100. Mohammad Zakaria says:

Question: I have forgotten my password. How can i get back my password?

101. Anytime i type my email password for on my iPhone it tells me its wrong. I am trying reset it but i still cannot remember my one of my security questions what should i do?

102. John Alvarez says:

Hi,
    I have this issue with my ipad: it’s 4 years old so the mail that was used to create id is no longer valid and I can’t even remember it, the only thing I have is the password… so what can I do to recover my ID? ( I can’t even use it right now cause the newest update demanded ID and pass to finish the install).

I would appreciate it any advice

103. Jean Reno Villanueva says:

Hi. my father bought an iphone4s online in Guam. Now he’s back here in the Philippines. The problem is, the previous owner forgot to delete his apple ID from the unit, and said that he also forgot his password. Is there a way to reboot the iphone without using the apple ID of the previous owner?
    I’d really appreciate your help. Thank you! :)

104. Bilal says:

i forgot my passcode on iphone5.
    i have try passcode more times then my phone doesnot show anything.
    Then i reset my mobile.
    Now it show icloud ID and password , without this , i can’t use my phone. And i forgot those also :(
    so what can i do ?
    How can i use my phone ?
    please help anybody!

105. andrea says:

i have an ipod touch i need help with the apple i forgot the info because i made diffrent apple id for my other one and i forgot it

106. Simon sello says:

Help me to recover my password pls

107. usman says:

hey.. i have forgotten email id and cell is lost too.. want to recover my contacts .. kindly help

108. Shahbaz says:

Hello dear i am an apple phone user and i have find a i phone on road but it was dead but when i put it on charge it cones on now i do not have any number or detail of that guy who lost it give me the sloution to find the right person or how to contact with him please.

109. Shahbaz says:

Bilal just throw it now it will not works.

110. teosike says:

someone live in US, he send to me a iphone 6, but i don’t know infomation about him. And now, i want to use this iphone, but i can’t contact him to know id apple. please give me a solution!

111. Zoe says:

I know my current details for my ID and password, but my sisters phone (used to be mine) needs my “old” or the original password that set up the iPhone, and I can’t remember my old password.
    it WONT let me enter my current password, so how do I find Out my OLD password? thanks.

112. Simukai Madamombe says:

I got an Ipad from someone in USA and am in Africa. I was using it for notes and bible only for two years by passing his password. The problem started when i wanted to changed settings it then locked and wrote connect to itunes i pad is disabled. I contacted the first owner and he has forgotten the ID and password. What should both of us do to fix the machine

113. Marvin says:

i forgot both my Apple ID and icloud passwords, i cant access both of the, i tried all the procedures they gave mi but none has helped me. they always send steps to follow in reseting both of to my icloud while i cant access it too. i tried to look for an option to direct them to send the steps to my gmail but i couldnt see the option

114. Elias says:

My problem is that iwas changing my iCloud password via email then after they resend me instructions on my email I found out that may email is not working en it needs me to sign in to iCloud that iwas changing en I can’t Gett it any more

115. josie says:

ok so i got a google speaker anyway i need to download an app…. but when i started up my ipad it wanted my network so i put it in …then it wanted my apple ID passcode but every passcode i put in is wrong then when i hit forgot passcode it doesn’t even let me reset it now i cant get into my iPad or anything its frozen on that page what do i do!!!

116. Matt Emrich says:

There’s no message saying ‘Forgot Apple ID or password?’ when I try to log in. My iCloud ID is already visible and that’s the only thing that’s visible. When I tap on it, my only option is to enter the password. I’ve done this multiple times now, and I know I’m entering it correctly, but I keep getting the message that my password is incorrect. How can I reset it if a) what I’m entering isn’t wrong and b) there’s no reset option ?

117. Kerubo says:

please I registered in iCloud but I didn’t use it for long time and for now I don’t remember anything in my iCloud account please help m to recover my Apple ID and the password

118. Ritesh Jajodia says:

Hi.. I had lost my iPhone 5 and put it on lost mode.. but recently I found it and when I tried to use it I forgot my iCloud id and password.. now I m having trouble restarting and using my phone as to do so I have to sign in with the iCloud account I used to lock the phone.. what should I do???

119. sherwin cordova says:

If i reset my iphone 4s and i dont know the apple id and password what should i do to open it

120. Riya says:

My icloud id is nt working on my iphone 5 ,it had nrrn stolen bt i got it back by my imei no. Bt when i got it back n tried to login by my id its nt working or accpting by my iphone ..i had contact tbr service centre of iphone tgey are saying thy can,t help call to coustmer care n there phn no. Is nt working m pisseed off what to do to login or reset my id.. pls helo what to do

121. Whhnd says:

I forgot my Apple ID password and security questions, it won’t let me log back in because the account has been locked for security reasons. The rescue email this account has been deleted so the only option I have is answering the security questions, but I forgot them all. I also cannot call them so I’ve tried emailing them but they sent me something useless. At this rate, do you guys think it STILL can be possible to recover an Apple ID? Thanks.

122. Okay says:

Guys if ur trying to make fake Apple ID accounts and ur saying u forgot everything for it, DON’T try to get apple to reset it for you. THEY WON’T. making fake apple IDs is PROHIBITED. if u fail to answer their questions, don’t even bother to dream about having your Apple ID restored.

123. Mike Little says:

while creating an Apple ID for my wife to use Facetime i
    made a mistake entering her birthday. And APPLE website was
    programmed WRONG-so it allowed my error to go thru and my wife’s apple id was created, BUT when i went back in to correct her birthday date-then the WEB site blocked the WRONG birthdate info. an email to Apple support has gone unanswered.?? [ your program should have REJECTED as dd/mm/yyyy

Instead of your Required mm/dd/yyyy!!! help.

124. brett says:

i forgot both my apple id password and the password that i used linking my apple id. how do i go about it

125. Patricia forbed says:

I can not get in to the phone to go to settings how can I get to reset the activation lock I do not remember my is or password

126. Landyn says:

I can’t remember my Apple ID

127. Lesley says:

I forgot my password

128. fatima says:

I brought my iPhone from a friend, I made an iCloud account on it. one day I went to restart my iPhone however I forgot my email. I am not sure what my email. how will I be able to fix my phone.

129. sarvjit Singh says:

I forgot my Apple id and password. pls hlp me how to deal with this problem.

130. courtney says:

I recently got a ipad from my cousin and when I turn it on it has been reset and for me to set it up it wants the original AppleID and password that it was first set up with but when I ask my cousin he can’t remember what it is…what do I do. Plz help